German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some expertise on puppy size. Sascha is a male, 6 months old but only weighs about 48lbs. He just seems small compared to weights and sizes I see posted for similar ages. I get asked frequently if he's a miniature GSD because people dont realize he's a puppy (didnt know such a thing existed). I'm confident in his age being 6 months bc he just got all his adult teeth. Any thoughts? Is he just the runt maybe?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hope someone will be able to answer you better than I but yes he seems a little small but hat lines is he from maybe he will grow soon hopefully for comparison my pup is only 3 months old and 31 pounds but is a mix of show x working lines

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned, @ 6 months, he still has some growing to do. Just enjoy working and playing with him.

·
Registered
877 Posts
General accepted weight range for male GSDs is aprox. 65-85lbs, but truth is there is no set standard for this stuff.

There are plenty of dogs well over that range, and I'm sure plenty who are under it. At 6mths being ~50lbs, there's a good chance he'll tap out at somewhere between 60-70lbs, which is smaller but perfectly normal. My Ridley is around 1 1/2 years and around 65lbs, and I think he's just right :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay that makes me feel better. Not that I would love him any less if he remained a little guy and I really dont want a monster sized dog. I just want him to be normal. I got him from some folks on craigslist so he has no papers and I know nothing about his parents.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
That is about what Hans weighed.
He is now 67 pounds and will probably be about 75, like his sire.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My pup was in the 40lb range at 6 months too, he's now 8 months, 63lbs and almost 24 inches at the shoulder. Unless he has a really big growth spurt I'm thinking he's going to end up on the smaller side of the standard. Nowadays we're so used to seeing oversized GSD's that a lot of people think normal sized ones are too small. GSD's were never meant to be giant dogs. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is very true I automatically think a GSD weighs around 100 pounds but there are very few that are and that's good because I couldn't imagine much over 70-80 pounds 20 pounds makes a big difference.

My pup was in the 40lb range at 6 months too, he's now 8 months, 63lbs and almost 24 inches at the shoulder. Unless he has a really big growth spurt I'm thinking he's going to end up on the smaller side of the standard. Nowadays we're so used to seeing oversized GSD's that a lot of people think normal sized ones are too small. GSD's were never meant to be giant dogs. :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There is no miniature GSD. There are dwarfs but they have some other distortions and a foxy head.

Personally me, and my rotator cuffs, like them on the small side for a lot of reasons (crating in car, wear and tear on me, longevity, apparent agility gains)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Working lines tend to be a little smaller I think, than show lines, which you want. A 100lb dog is not going to be as agile or fast as a 70lb dog.

My female is, I think, on the larger side for a female WL, she's about 70lbs and was around 50lbs at that age as well. So don't worry, he's got a lot of growing and filing out to do yet, but I do remember her growth slowed way down around 6 months of age.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Zeus is 11 month and 68 pounds, he is a correct from and weight for a West Showline.
He was around 40 pounds at 6 month. Trust me he is fine, GSD used to be a medium sized dog, not 120 pound dog. Light weight is also easier on growing joints and bones. He will fill-out and get more weight by 2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't remember what my boy was at 6 months, but at a year he was only 66lb so I'd imagine he was around that size. He finished filling out at around 2.5 years to be 75lb.

His brother from the same litter only ever got to be about 45-50lb., but they neutered him really young at like 9-10 weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts