German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I picked up Belle from Portage La Prarie, just outside our hometown of Winnipeg. I had done plenty of research and all my homework before making the important decision of becoming a dog owner.

I brought her to an in-city vet, who said she was underweight and had a stage 3 heart murmur. The vet actually told me to bring the dog back and tell the breeder i didn't want her anymore. Yeah
I know, a real animal lover.

I brought her back to PLP because the breeder wanted to have her vet double check. She was very surprised to discover that her vet had missed the murmur in her prior visits. She explained to me that if she didn't outgrow her murmur, she could offer me some sort of refund. I paid $1000 for Belle, so I expected her to be a healthy, happy pup.

Happy yes, healthy.... Well...

Ever since the first day I had her, she was kind of a finicky eater. I spiced her dry food up with wet food so she would eventually eat it. I thought she would eventually get more comfortable and begin eating more, but not really. Sometimes she eats normally, and sometimes she avoids her food like the plague. Even if there is rice and some wet food inside. There is no observable pattern. Sometimes she eats and sometimes she doesn't.

A little before 4 months, the breeder texted me saying that 2 of the other pups in belles litter had giardia so i should get her checked out. Oh, I also thought she was a little smaller than average was because she was from a litter of 12 and was one of the last few remaining, assuming people would get the bigger ones first, but i don't know.

I immediately brought her to the vet and got a 3 day orally taken treatment for her Giardia. But even 2 weeks after the treatment, she would still have the occasional diarrhea. A couple of my dog owner friends would tell me not to worry and im making too big of a deal of it, but i still brought her back to the vet.

I'm still a young guy, currently unemployed from the school divison, but needless to say i'm not rolling in money. The vet said we could recheck her for giardia or just give her another treatment. It was $40 for the test and $30 for the medication. The vet thought she was fine but I just wanted peace of mind. So I got her another round of medication, which is harmless if she were not to have it, simply deworms them, she said.

The vet called me the other day to see how belle was doing and to say that they have one of her litter mates come in and he had similar problems (underweight, giardia.) She said that she can send a fecal sample to a lab to be tested for every type of bacteria that can cause diarrhea. And also she suggested that i can get an echocardiogram to determine exactly what is causing the dogs murmur.

If its in the best interest of belle, I will do it. That's why I'm here posting this. I don't know what to do. What is the likelyhood of her outgrowing her mumur? What are some other reasons for her diarrhea? Should I get on the breeders case? I mean I paid $1000 for her, and she came with a 'health guarantee' (I can scan it if anyone cares to see.) Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

She's a very active dog, i walk her daily and we often horse aorund in the yard ( I chase her, she chases me until im pooped, she can go all day). She is very active and not sluggish.

Today belle weighs 22.1 pds and tomorrow is her 5 month birthday. I've been told all dogs are different but according to a size chart she is below half of what a dog her age should weigh. She has barely eaten anything today asides from maybe a half cup of dry coated in a generous amount of wet food. She won't even touch her food.

I'm at a loss here. I love my dog very much and just want what is best for her.

Heres a picture of her about 5 weeks ago 90% ears. - Imgur

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would be contacting the breeder on the health guarantee - all the problems you have had should certainly warrant some type of reimbursement. I would also your Ontario Veterinary College and see if they have some type of help or advice.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
Actually, giardia is not all that uncommon, and the diagnosis and treatment is really not that expensive. No, you should not be reimbursed for that, and heads up on the breeder for letting you know that others in the litter were having this problem. That, gave you something to look for specifically.

However, she is very small for her age. 22 pounds. There is some serious issue going on in my opinion. I have two that will be five months old on the 29, and they weighed 35 and 37 pounds a week ago. So yes, it sounds like she weighs half what she should.

She is cute as the dickens though.

The heart murmur will be a major issue if it does not clear up on its own. It is not all that uncommon either. As the heart grows the hole closes up and causes no problems. But if it doesn't close up on its own, well, that is not so good.

Take a look at your health guaranty. It sounds like the breeder wants to do the right thing. Sometimes problems just happen. See what the health guaranty says. Some only guaranty the hips and elbows. Some guaranty anything genetic. Some require you to return the puppy for any compensation. Most do not refund cash.

I would probably want to do the echocardiogram and the stool sample.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, everyone here...:)
Just a bit of ideas here.
Nutrition is where I would start. What brand are you feeding?
Puppies need a good amount of protein, fats, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, vitamins, oils, chelated minerals, and DHA to develop and grow properly.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the breeder did have the dog checked by a vet prior to sale. they did say they would give a refund of sorts.
Just to be sure , go to another vet and her heart checked out - but don't say anything - go in as a blank unknown client.
What are you feeding the dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's eating Royal Canin german shepherd puppy 30 formula. It's the bees knees when it comes to dog food apparently.

I called the breeder last night and she said that she can offer me a replacement puppy, and I can also keep Belle or give her back. I understand that Belle may have some expensive vet bills down the road but I just can't get rid of her, even if it is the financially logical thing to do.

I will go forward with the echocradiogram and in-depth stool sample. It will probably cost an arm and a leg but if it can improve her quality of live then I'm all for it.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You may want to take the replacement puppy and also keep your Belle. But with this pup get pet health insurance right away.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What are the terms of the health guarantee? Can you post or PM verbatim the clause?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has your vet ruled out EPI, my pup had a really bad stomach when I got her and was skinny and not interested in food and my vet thought it was possible it could be EPI but I changed to a raw food diet and that has done the trick, her stomach is perfect and she has started filling out, sometimes it doesn't matter how good the food your feeding your dog is it just might not suit her. Good luck hope you get to the bottom of it as she is gorgeous

1 - 10 of 10 Posts