German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back that my 3 1/2 month old puppy, Buck, was exhibiting shy/skittish tendencies when approached by strangers. I just want to brag and say his confidence is building big time. He pulls to the end of the lead to meet/greet strangers/dogs and he barks appropriately and takes treats from kindly strangers. He still doesn't like for someone to tower over him and pat him on the top of his head (and some people he just plain doesn't like and won't let them pat him at all), but I can forgive him that. Buck is doing so well. I'm going to just keep up my daily socialization and helping him grow to be a solid, confident dog. Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU! What great news, sounds like it's all going so well!

What I do to 'make' people come in low to my puppy's head is use TREATS!!!! I ask if they will feed my pup BEFORE they come in for the petting :). Then I also ask them to hold the treat in their flat palm (like you are feeding a horse...) that way they HAVE to come in low (like to the puppies chest) or the treat will roll right out and onto the ground!

So puppy gets a treat from a stranger. Good thing. Stranger comes in low. Good thing. Puppy loves this stranger and stranger has NO idea they just approached your pup in the least threatening manner! Win/win

1 - 2 of 2 Posts