German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD pup is now 6 months old (and three days) and for the past two weeks shes been shedding like crazy, handfuls of hair comes out, its not so much now, but she used to only have a dark shiny grey on her back and now it has alot of white in it? do they change color? also when do they lose their puppy coat? thanks!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
She almost looks...blue....or liver and blue? Someone more experienced than I with the unusual coloring will have to chime in. Yes, they do change from puppy to adult fur, but hers looks unusual.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Is she a blue??! She's so pretty! I think what you are describing is the bitch stripe that some GSDs have. Her blue will recede to a saddle pattern.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after doing a little bit of research i think she may actually be a blue. though her color is changing. why doesnt akc reconize blues?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree she's blue and gorgeous too!

The AKC's view on blues:
German Shepherd Dog | American Kennel Club
Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.

Personally, I don't give a rats a** what the AKC says but I'm not interested in showing in conformation - I think the blues are very pretty. Of course, the color doesn't make the shepherd. Years ago there used to be brindle shepherds but that color has faded out of the breed over the years.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Disqualifying colors that are considered faults are not the same as the AKC not recognizing the color. I take the OP's statement to mean that the AKC won't register a Blue dog.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Disqualifying colors that are considered faults are not the same as the AKC not recognizing the color. I take the OP's statement to mean that the AKC won't register a Blue dog.
Yeah, a blue or liver can be registered but is a fault. Exactly.

Someone posted a link to a breeder that has blue's and that breeder said she won't let blues leave with AKC papers.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I posted that link. And the breeder said she won't give papers because the color is a fault and shouldn't be bred for. I posted the link AFTER the OP said the AKC didn't recognize blues so I doubt my post had any bearing on her post.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Yeah, a blue or liver can be registered but is a fault. Exactly.

Someone posted a link to a breeder that has blue's and that breeder said she won't let blues leave with AKC papers.
That is actually responsible on the breeder's part.

It used to be that they culled blues, livers and whites when they showed up in litters. The livers and whites were said to be connected to different genetic conditions, the liver gene, lethal, the white gene deafness or something else. I think it has been disproved. But breeders really would cull for two reasons, if the litter was large, a pup with a disqualifying color would be culled so that the bitch would have more time, attention, and nourishment for the 'good' pups. But more importantly breeders did not want to get known for having this fault in their lines. Not honest, but whatever. They culled them.

But nowadays, people are being just as bad by taking the puppies and breeding specifically for rare AKA disallowed colors. They will breed dogs with the fault, to other dogs with the fault specifically to produce puppies for the demand of the public's desire for the exotic, strange, weird, unusual.

The whites are a little bit of a different story, as they can be shown in the UKC and some white fanciers do breed for other than just color.

But for blues and livers, the fact that the colors are uncommon, people will take these dogs and use them specifically to reproduce their color, with no respect of anything else. Some of these people are unscrupulous about care and conditions. And keeping dogs that will be sought out for this away from these people by not giving them papers makes sense.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts