German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the vet called today to tell me my 9 week old pup has giardia. Anyone have any experience with this? I see on google it's common, but it can be dangerous. It's treatable, but hard to get rid of:/ I'm lost, please help!!!??

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Theres alot of us on the site that has had issues with giardia. so dont feel alone. Do a search on giardia and you will find lots of helpful threads. heres one to get you started. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/173385-recurring-giardia.html

Also lots of people here recommended Kocci Free. I bought it on Amazon. it has worked for me better than Panacur. My pup was on Panacur twice with positive results after the Kocci he has been giardia free. i gave the Kocci free to all my dogs just incase. there is hope and I hope your pup feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My puppy (well hes almost a year haha) has Giardia again, he had it when he was 10 or 11 weeks old as well. You should have been given Metronidazole? They need 7-10 days of it in order to treat it. Keep your dog away from possible sources of infection (infected feces/water/soil) For puppies, it can be serious because of the diarrhea, so I am wondering why they didn't give you drugs to treat it? It can reoccur, so reoccurring infections are common. But you need drugs to treat this, or else it is not going to go away on its own.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My puppy (well hes almost a year haha) has Giardia again, he had it when he was 10 or 11 weeks old as well. You should have been given Metronidazole? They need 7-10 days of it in order to treat it. Keep your dog away from possible sources of infection (infected feces/water/soil) For puppies, it can be serious because of the diarrhea, so I am wondering why they didn't give you drugs to treat it? It can reoccur, so reoccurring infections are common. But you need drugs to treat this, or else it is not going to go away on its own.
Sorry should have mentioned we got that medicine to, but I though that was for the worms.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
How was it diagnosed? The antigen test can show a positive even a month after being treated. When was the last time he was wormed and do you know what he was wormed with.

Personally, I wouldn't medicate just yet unless he hasn't been wormed in the last month, but it really depends on how he was diagnosed too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes 7 days of Metronidazole. The vet found it after her first exam. She is a from an animal control facility- so I guess no surprise. She has on/off runny poo, but not too much diarrhea. I honestly thought it was her food. But I have never encountered this so was just wondering how we can get rid of it for good? My living room has carpet, so I was just feeling like this could be tricky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts