German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Everyone, meet Duncan! He came home on Saturday and is doing great. I took a week off to get him off to a good start and he is picking up everything so quickly. Crate training was a breeze for him and I take him everywhere I can. He is so very fond of people and very stable- pretty much nothing phases him. We are hoping to train in wilderness air scent with our team and certify through NSDA standards. Hoping everything goes well for his development.
*** Image removed by ADMIN ***

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
What a cutie!Love the expression on his face!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Congrats. .. Looking forward to hearing about his training exploits

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duncan has been to a couple of team trainings so far. I am going to wait until 12 weeks to start SAR training in earnest to give time to bond with him and let his drive for play with people develop a little more. I'm very happy with him. He shows very good environmental confidence, drive for toys and food, and so far has not met a single person he doesn't like. He comes to work with me every day and is well adjusted to that environment. So far the only thing I'm concerned about is socialization with other dogs. I take him to places where he can observe and see that other dogs come in many shapes and sizes without interacting with them. He has met one stable adult dog (besides mine) and a couple of other puppies, but I can tell he is uncertain with dogs unlike with people. We're going to train with the bigger team upstate next weekend so he can get more exposure.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Duncan has been to a couple of team trainings so far. I am going to wait until 12 weeks to start SAR training in earnest to give time to bond with him and let his drive for play with people develop a little more. I'm very happy with him. He shows very good environmental confidence, drive for toys and food, and so far has not met a single person he doesn't like. He comes to work with me every day and is well adjusted to that environment. So far the only thing I'm concerned about is socialization with other dogs. I take him to places where he can observe and see that other dogs come in many shapes and sizes without interacting with them. He has met one stable adult dog (besides mine) and a couple of other puppies, but I can tell he is uncertain with dogs unlike with people. We're going to train with the bigger team upstate next weekend so he can get more exposure.
It sounds like an overwhelming exposure for such a young pup.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He has been out to the desert for short walks. The mountains here are a bit much right now, especially with the snow.

For team trainings, the idea is that he can just watch people and dogs come and go, not to throw him into the fray. While we are actually out working, he will probably sleep through most of it in my truck.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
He has been out to the desert for short walks. The mountains here are a bit much right now, especially with the snow.

For team trainings, the idea is that he can just watch people and dogs come and go, not to throw him into the fray. While we are actually out working, he will probably sleep through most of it in my truck.
OK, that makes sense :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Little guy is four months old already! Things are going very well. We've imprinted him on placenta, bone, and teeth. He is having a great time working the boxes. We put them out in a field today and he was excellent, just textbook. Because of our issues with runaways I started teaching the recall/refind as a separate exercise. He caught on to that very quickly, but it will take a while to build the drive back in since we are trying not to excite him to the point that he gets nibbly. He's been doing just fine going to trainings, out for hikes, out for walks, etc. One thing I need to work on eventually is comfort with night time. Any tips? Just keep things short and fun? :)

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Gorgeous pup!! Congrats! Sounds like he is doing well.. looking forward to reading about your progress!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I don't have advice, but I love his face. He's so alert, looks like he's ready to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts