German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything with her. First she had a stuffed crate bed, then an unstuffed crate bed. We then tried a flannel blanket, then a smallish sleeping bag, we tried a bed sheet, then some towels, down to one small towel. She eats them all. My boyfriend eventually got me worried enough that she will one day eat the whole thing rather then just rip it apart when he saw her parts of her purple blanket in her poop outside.

Last night I put her in her crate with nothing, just the cold plastic floor. She tossed and turned all night which she never does. She is normally a heavy sleeper who’s only noise I hear is barking and snoring, but she tossed and turned all night last night.

So before I hate myself for making her sleep on a hard plastic crate every night, anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup tore up everything in his crate. if he didn't tear
things up he pulled them out of his crate. i stopped
putting bedding in his crate. he was fine. i put a rug
underneath the crate (rug or towels on floor,
crate on top) to muffle noise. don't feel bad, your pup
will be fine without bedding in his crate.

·
Registered
972 Posts
my parents dogs are like that. so they dont put anything in their crate, dogs dont mind sleeping on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
my dog does the same thing, he doesn't seem to mind sleeping on the hard plastic.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Deuce doesn't have anything in his crate. If he had an accident, there isn't anthing I have to throw in the washing machine...just slide the tray out and clean it. He doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Panzer tore up the first couple of beds we put in his crate too. I had even gotten him an orthopedic bed - no go. Now he has three old blankets in there and he likes those. Actually he sleeps in our bed at night, but still in his crate during the day when we're gone. :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
So before I hate myself for making her sleep on a hard plastic crate every night, anyone have any suggestions for me?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your pup sleeping on "a hard plastic crate" - chances are, she could care less. My dog pretty consistently sleeps on the hard wood floor instead of her memory foam dog bed. Because she chooses to.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Panzer tore up the first couple of beds we put in his crate too. I had even gotten him an orthopedic bed - no go. Now he has three old blankets in there and he likes those. Actually he sleeps in our bed at night, but still in his crate during the day when we're gone. :)
We went through a few beds/mats. Eventually she understood that we didn't want her to do that ...... and she matured to the point where she just accepted whatever there was to lay on.
There are some fairly chew-proof dog beds but usually they are costly.
One possibility is to get some carpet remnants and cut them in the shape of the crate floor and when he chews up one, cut another.
Yet another possibility is to give him a bone, a bully stick or something else to chew on while he is in the crate.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yikes... and i thought i had problems w/ my pup biting my ankles.... hope you figure out something soon, do you at least have a toy or water bottle in there? i know mine licks that thing to death when he's bored and gnaws on a bone or two.. i also have like 2 or 3 of my t-shirts in the cage w/ him and a ticking clock (some say this works others don't) but he hasn't chewed up hardly anything other then my slippers... while im wearing them LOL

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Seems to me the puppy is telling you something! LOL! Don't put anything in there until the dog matures.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I agree - if she won't leave it alone it's not safe to have anything chewable in there. The chewproof Orvis beds wouldn't have stood a chance with our Cassidy, her chewing ability was legendary! I got her a Kuranda bed, and although there are teeth marks all around the edges where she tried to chew it she couldn't get at the fabric, and I still have that original bed today, almost 10 years later. At the time they only had one kind, but now they offer several different kinds and one of them is specifically sized to fit in crates: Crate Bed | All Purpose Dog Beds | Kuranda Dog Beds

Cassidy eventually outgrew her horrific chewing phase and was fine with a nice soft pad in her crate - still have that one too, it's in Halo's crate! Halo was a bad chewer too, and I used plain white towels folded in her crate. I took them out during the day because she'd pull them out and play with them, but as long as I only put a towel in her crate when she was tired and would fall asleep quickly she didn't chew it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You could go to your local tractor supply and get a rubber horse stall mat and cut to size for the crate....IF you have to have something....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jordan gets a rope toy (her molars are coming in and she chews on em fiercly) and a "snuggle toy" a small stuffed animal with no squeaker, no stuffing. That is it. She often chooses to sleep on the tile and she didnt grow up at the breeders house with blankets or anything and doesnt seem to think she is missing anything.

I would say if your pup is eating it and you cant be awake and available to supervise and redirect they shouldnt have it -- that's how our house works.... She shredded 1 type of dog toy 1 night and she no longer gets it in her kennel when I cant be available to supervise.

Dont feel bad, your protecting your puppy.

-Jess

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
You could go to your local tractor supply and get a rubber horse stall mat and cut to size for the crate....IF you have to have something....
For what it's worth ... I have a rubber stall mat covering the inside cargo area of my vehicle since I wanted something that was easy to clean and provided some "grip" or traction, whether I had the crate in there or the dogs loose.

Cutting a rubber stall mat is one heck of a hard thing to do. You cannot do it with a saw (you'll ruin the blade), but you can do it with a carpet knife / utility knife, which takes forever.

Just saying ... if you're going that route, be prepared to spend a lot of time and a fair amount of cussing trying to get it to the right size. :D

Alternatively, I believe Ray Allen or Leerburg sell rubber mats for vehicles and crates and they DO cut them to the size you want or need. Might save you a lot of aggravation. (Of course, when I did my vehicle, they didn't have them with the "cut to size" option or I'd just have ordered one!)

·
2,967 Posts
We do this. It's takes a utility knife, some sweat, and some time to get it cut down. But the ones in my area are 6x4ft mats which means one side fits perfectly in my 48" crate so I usually only have to make one cut. They can't chew it (unless they're SUPER determined...but even then the one I had barely nibbled a corner) and it cuts down on the noise of the dog moving around in the crate.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your pup sleeping on "a hard plastic crate" - chances are, she could care less. My dog pretty consistently sleeps on the hard wood floor instead of her memory foam dog bed. Because she chooses to.
3 memory foam beds in this house and he chooses the hardwood here too.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
We had to get one of those horse mats for our kennel when we had our min pins because of them laying in the mud and dirt and then coming in the house. It worked great except like everyone else has said they are hard to cut and also VERY heavy. Well if the mat idea is something you think you might want to try then see if you can find very thick door mat I think that would fit in a crate. We have some that are heavy and very thick and our dogs don't carry them off or chew on them. It would have to be very thick though to work. Otherwise don't be too concerned about the puppy not having something to sleep on our male shepherd actually likes to sleep on the floor with nothing. He have dog beds,blankets,dog pillows scattered throughout the house and he still prefers to sleep on the floor. I also like the Kuranda bed idea we have one in our kennel and it has lasted for 5 yrs. and our dogs love that bed. It has been through lots of puppies and has lasted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the stories and advice guys. Right now to chew on she has three “alone” toys. Two kongs, one cone shaped and one bone shaped and a nylabone. I have to feel sorry for my poor boyfriend who is going nuts at night when she chews in her crate with no bed… its loud! I’m used to it, but he isn’t. I guess I don’t really have a choice but to keep her on the plastic. During the day about 70% of the time she will sleep on the hardwood rather then the beds, I am still going to feel bad about it though!

So… on this same topic, different direction… when the heck to they stop this stage!? LOL. :crazy:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine used to throw his around like it was extreme wrestling...now at months he appreciates the softness and has a fleece crate bed with three towels on top in his wire crate. Also once we moved from a 36 plastic to a 42 inch wire (at 16 weeks old) he really started sleeping better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts