German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4.5 Month GSD constantly barks and lunges at my cats! ( i have four of them). They usually just leave and hide but sometimes my Mya is too much and they swing at her, i fear she might get injured.

How do i get them to get along?.. :(

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I doubt your pup will be severely injured if anything she'll learn what not to do to the cats or end up severely injuring one of them:(. I just got my first cat so I have no advice, but so far my one dog is afraid of the cat and my other just looks at her no lunging or barking.

I suggest teaching your pup some manners by keeping her leashed to you and keeping her away from the cats until you find the distance at which she can see them, but not react. Mark this behavior with a clicker and tons of treats working your way closer and closer until she no longer is barking and lunging. They may never like each other and this method will probably take a month or more, but being your pup is so young you should be able to teach her kitty manners if you commit to it:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still barks and whines non-stop at my cats! too the point she has to be in the basement while the cats are around.

Please how do i get them to live together in peace?..

·
Registered
441 Posts
No advise. Aspen has barked and lunged at mine and they have no claws. I am trying to teach him "leave it" when the cats are moving around. He is so-so about following that command in regards to the cats.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can spend months clicking and training a leave it or the next time he does it snatch him up by his scruff and say "NO!" in his face. Put him back down and when he looks at you praise, throw a party and play tug with him!

Repeat.

He will learn very quickly that chasing the cat is bad and paying attention to you is good. Take all the emotion out of it and be matter of fact.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can spend months clicking and training a leave it or the next time he does it snatch him up by his scruff and say "NO!" in his face. Put him back down and when he looks at you praise, throw a party and play tug with him!

Repeat.

He will learn very quickly that chasing the cat is bad and paying attention to you is good. Take all the emotion out of it and be matter of fact.
Thanks! will try ASAP. :wild:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts