German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another issue with our 15 week old pup - she has began attacking my girlfriend; I still get the odd bite but our pups really determined to grab my girlfriend at any opportunity - redirection, distraction.. they really do not work. I have to prize her off & give her a time out.

We spend equal amounts of time with our puppy, we both feed her, train her, walk her etc. this has only really started since 14 weeks of age along with other naughty behaviour - I can't believe its teething thats making her because I'd be getting much more of these attacks too!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She's just a baby! The biting and nipping will continue for a few months--have patience, try everything, make sure she has plenty of things to chew and gets lots of exercise. She sounds pretty normal to me

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh do believe it is the teething. Max went after me more than my husband and I am the trainer, walker, feeder, etc! First and foremost you need to stop stepping in for the gf. She has got to find a way to handle this herself otherwise the pup is going to grow up thinking he can run all over her.

If she has tried redirect (use an ice cube, or a frozen toy) and she has tried all others such as yelping, walking away and none of it has worked. Then she could try grabbing him by the scruff, give him a gentle shake and a firm no bite.

With my Max that was the only thing that worked. I tried everything else (and he is not my first GSD) but he lived up to the name land shark in every sense! Everything I tried he would just come at me more, it was a game for him. And when he got bigger and heavier at his second teething I had to grab both sides of his scruff with both hands and lift his front paws off the ground and give him a shake and a firm no bite. He would then walk away. It took some effort because he was heavy but I knew I had to win. Now at 1 year old we have no problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice - I'll tell her to toughen up; I think the scruffing is the only possibility.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Thanks for the advice - I'll tell her to toughen up; I think the scruffing is the only possibility.
Well, that's not right or what most of us would recommend.

Your puppy isn't being bad.

Your puppy is being a puppy. So to punish that is a bit pointless and very confusing for your pup.

If instead, you would pack up the pup, take it for a car ride then a long OFF leash romp in the woods, you'll get a practically perfect puppy and no punishment involved.

Puppy classes would also give you much better guidance and ideas.

Punishment is easy for us to do. Doesn't mean it's the smart and best thing to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She honestly won't stop biting us unless we restrain her from doing it. When she's calm and mouthing us, we will teach bite inhibition.

She gets to a point where no toy, yelp or other form of redirection works and literally sees us as red. She's very strong headed I must add. She's a very confident pup with people.

·
5,627 Posts
She honestly won't stop biting us unless we restrain her from doing it. When she's calm and mouthing us, we will teach bite inhibition.
Is she getting enough exercise?

Get yourself a good slip lead and when she is super bitey, slip it over her head and lead her to her crate where she can bite on an appropriate chew item until she calms down and then take her out and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Max did this to me, especially when I wore anything loose or flowing to grab onto (pajama pants, robe, etc). He was herding me all the time with his pointy little teeth. Since I was the plaything (chew toy!) for him the best way I found to handle it was to remove me from him: "time out". I would tell him stop and close him in the bedroom for just a minute away from me, and break the mood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts