German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another day in paradise....
So today my dh and I took Stella (GSD) and Ruben (newfie cross) for a walk in a local park. Stella was on a long line, and had a prong with a tab on. My dh let Ruben off leash. Another dog came along and Ruben ran over. I "reeled" Stella in and had her sit. I knew things were not going well when I heard lots of shouting and barking. Stella was quite agitated and was barking and whining but she stayed sitting. (I was holding her with the tab/prong). I tried to distract her by giving her commands....she complied, not happily and of course was very distracted, and I had to "remind" her to sit several times. But all in all I thought she did ok considering she couldn't see what was going on, but could hear. Anyhow what happened, according to dh, was that Ruben was sniffing other dog. Other dog started to walk away, and Ruben went after it. The other owner jumped on Ruben, and my dh was able to grab Ruben. Unfortunately, the other dog owner hurt his hand when he jumped on Ruben. And his dog has a cut over his eye. My dh is so upset. I am upset too and angry with my dh. I NEVER let Ruben or Stella off leash. But dh doesn't listen to me about that. Thinks I am being too careful or whatever. So here we are.
I am wondering what we are legally responsible for. Certainly want to pay any out of pocket expenses the other owner might have. And I am guessing a dog/dog bite is different that dog/human bite. My dh is worried about being sued or whatever. Anyone have any thoughts?
Maybe dh will finally understand that dogs need to be leashed!!! And I hope this doesn't set back Stella as far as her reactivity goes. After we got back home I took her for a walk by herself, did some heeling and sit exercises, in hopes that she would settle down a bit after all the excitement.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Did you exchange info with the other dog owner?

As this was a dog/human incident it is possible, and in today's litigious climate, probable, that a lawsuit may arise. In CT someone has 2 years from the date of the incident to file suit. There really is no point in going to a lawyer and spending money until you are served with a suit or if the police somehow become involved. Also don't be surprised if animal control shows up at your house and has you quarantine your dog, even with full vaccination records.

You can PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am not a Connecticut attorney, but it sounds like you would be liable. You should pay the man's and dog's medical bills. Make sure you see the bills, so he is not having you pay for things the dog needs anyway, like vaccinations. I am guessing that there is a leash law where you live, so you might get a ticket for that.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would offer to pay for the dogs medical and the man's medical as well, (well I would have YOUR HUSBAND OFFER:)

Apologize profusely and hopefully that will be the end of it.. The guy didn't get bit right? just hurt his hand hopefully..

Yep bad husband bad husband:)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
The hand on the man was not a dog bite? The cut on the other dog was from the dog? To save problems I would pay for it. Hopefully everyone is okay.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I'm so sorry. Why, oh why won't they listen? How was the man's hand hurt? Was it a cut or a sprain? Hopefully neither his injury, nor his dogs' was serious and he will be honest. There are some really nice people out there. When my daughter was 17 and a new driver, she rear-ended an older couple. Did quite a bit of damage to their car. My daughter was already crying. The lady gave her a hug and told her to have her Dad give them a call. So yeah - it does happen. I hope this is a dog owner who understands that stuff happens sometimes.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, exchanged info. Already sent copy of Ruben's rabies certificate to other owner. Offered to pay for any out of pocket expenses....for man and dog.
Ruben did NOT bite the other owner. He has never ever had any kind of human aggressiveness. The man jumped on Ruben and must have landed on his hand in a bad way. I would have done something to protect my dog if it were me too. Yes there are leash laws. In this park there are a lot of off leash dogs, so it wouldn't be uncommon to have your dog off leash. I do not allow Stella off leash. The 30 foot line works for us. Maybe one day if she has perfect recall...
One of my biggest annoyances when walking Stella is another owner like my dh.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Probably will not matter how the man hurt his hand, if it was injured while trying to protect HIS dog from your dog that was off leash and attacking his dog, you are liable. And it won't be just "out of pocket expenses". If the guy sues, which he probably will, you can get stuck with hospital expenses, both for him and dog, loss of wages, pain and suffering. etc.
The judge will most likely say" if your dog had not been off leash, if your dog hadn't started being aggressive, the man would not have hurt himself trying to protect his dog".. Lucky it was not a kid or elderly person walking a dog.
I would expect a lawsuit, especially in today's sue happy world.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had an update from owner....his finger got dislocated, put back in place at ER. Dog has cut near eye. The plan is to take their dog to vet next week as a precaution. Hope no law suit comes into play, but I know how litigious our society is.
I know when my son was assaulted by his room mate last year, we could have done all kinds of things legally. He sucker punched my son causing 3 broken teeth that required root canal/cap, and stitches in various places. Not to mention a week of missed classes. But we decided to just get reimbursed for our out of pocket expenses. Hope these folks are like minded.
And I really hope my dh will listen to me about the dogs in the future!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Be upfront. Offer to pay hospital expenses. Stay in communication. Best way to avoid a lawsuit, take responsibility and follow through. If he start demanding weird things consult a lawyer. But if its just hospital bills and the dogs check up. Just pay it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. Already offered to pay for any dr/hospital/vet bills. Dh has apologized profusely. We will just have to wait and see. Hope a law suit doesn't happen. My dh could have been a jerk and given a false name and phone number. But he is an honest guy and wants to do the right thing. I just have to hope that these people are not looking to make a buck out of this. They didn't seem to be that way. I guess we will find out.
At least my dh has FINALLY agreed that the dogs need to be leashed.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Doesn't have to do anything with the OP...but I love the difference in opinion when the person that has the off-leash dog belongs to the forum.

The opinions are all like "well as long as your dog didn't do that much damage..." Where as if the forum member was the one that got "attacked", there would be a pitchfork carrying mob forming in order to get the other owner, sue the crap out of them, take their dog away from them, call them the most irresponsible human being on the face of the earth, someone that should never own a dog, ect.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Was the other dog on leash?

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Doesn't have to do anything with the OP...but I love the difference in opinion when the person that has the off-leash dog belongs to the forum.

The opinions are all like "well as long as your dog didn't do that much damage..." Where as if the forum member was the one that got "attacked", there would be a pitchfork carrying mob forming in order to get the other owner, sue the crap out of them, take their dog away from them, call them the most irresponsible human being on the face of the earth, someone that should never own a dog, ect.
Are we reading the same posts, because that isn't what I read. People asked if the man was bitten, because that makes a huge difference. People advised to pay bills and most said there was a good possibility of them being sued. The OP and her husband are taking responsibility. At this point, that is all they can do.

·
Registered
112 Posts

The difference is that OP is actively seeking help, is being active on the situation, taking responsibility and has been managing their dogs. This was truly an accident, as I see it.

My dog has been bitten numerous times.. let me tell you, the other owners knew jack squat about their dogs! Did nothing to manage even after sending my pup to the Emergency Vet (kept going to the dog park, where their dog terrorized everyone), couldn't read simple body language, didn't even take a leash for the times that things would get messy, with a horrible recall and OB to boot! I have no sympathy for these horrible owners.

OP is taking the right steps and I praise them for the work they are doing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Martemchik, I think you are angry that the members of the board did not jump on the op and bite her head off. The truth is that her post pretty much bit her own head off. She admitted she screwed up. She said she needed to make it as right as she could - ie. pay bills and apologize. And finally she said she had to do things differently in the future - ie. make sure her dog was on a leash. I really don't know what more we could say to her that she already hadn't said to herself.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
in this case the OP is doing the right thing and you can tell
she's upset and sorry and the OP didn't let the dog off leash.
when people post that their dog was attacked rarely do you
read about the owner of the other being responsible and i
think that's what's disturbing to the members of the forum.

Martemchik, I think you are angry that the members of the board did not jump on the op and bite her head off.

>>>>> The truth is that her post pretty much bit her own head off.<<<<<

She admitted she screwed up. She said she needed to make it as right as she could - ie. pay bills and apologize. And finally she said she had to do things differently in the future - ie. make sure her dog was on a leash. I really don't know what more we could say to her that she already hadn't said to herself.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
there is a big difference in people who are genuinely sorry and looking to make things right vs some dope who could care less that their dog runs around loose all the time causing chaos..

I would have NO problem if this happened to MY dog..well of course I'd be upset/angry, BUT, atleast the person was taking responsibility which makes a huge difference..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do believe the other dog was leashed. I didn't really see the whole encounter. I was busy with Stella as Ruben ran off to the other dog. I just quickly saw the other dog about the same time Ruben did. I recalled Stella, (who had no choice but to come back as she was on a long line.) I didn't know anything was going on at first....I was busy getting Stella off the path for the dog and his owner to walk by. I just heard dh calling Ruben frantically. It was over in a matter of seconds. The man walked by me and Stella with his dog. At this point I still didn't know what happened. Only when I caught up to dh and Ruben did I get the story.
I can understand what martemchik is saying. I have been on the opposite side of the fence....Not too long ago Ruben was attacked by a dog that just came charging out of his yard and started biting him! His owner tried to recall him but he knocked Ruben over and kept attacking. He finally ran back into his yard. Fortunately, Ruben didn't get hurt. That owner did NOTHING. Did not even ask if we were ok....We had our 2 grandchildren with us as well. My dh was furious. I was just happy Ruben was ok and nothing serious came of it. Stella was charged by a dog a few months ago, same scenario....dog comes running out of yard. Again, no injuries but the owner was very apologetic and asked if we were ok.
I have tried to tell dh a million times to keep dogs leashed. He was thinking of walking both Stella and Ruben together until I put the kabosh on that. And he was always telling me how I should just let them run....how mean I was to keep them restrained! I really had to bite my tongue to not say "I told you so". He has asked me to order another long line....so lesson learned. Unfortunately at the expense of an injury. I am just thankful that Ruben did not bite the man, even when he jumped on Ruben. I wish I knew what the heck set Ruben off. One minute just sniffing....then attack. According to dh, no hackles or stiff tail. No nothing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts