1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations!
Bronx looks like a very handsome fellow :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
congrats!!! he looks very handsome and intelligent.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Awesome looking dog! smart and serious.

Please don't feel obligated to share your protected health information on the public forum =)

nice dog, what service?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
not prying, service means a lot of different things, eg assistance, LEO, autism.....i am only interested in working dogs of all types not people's personal business.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats! Hes a good looking dog! We just got a service dog for my daughter, although he is still a puppy and hasn't started training yet :)

I agree, don't feel obligated to share anything relating to your health/disability unless you want to.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
mental note, do not ask what service a service dog does, apparently it is insulting or somethin??

nice dog OP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mental note, do not ask what service a service dog does, apparently it is insulting or somethin??

nice dog OP.
Not everyone is comfortable sharing why they need a service dog or if they have a disability/what that disability is. Its illegal for store owners to ask what disability you have when you walk in with a service dog. Its usually just polite to not ask, especially if the owner hasn't included that bit of information. If its a dog meant to deal with PTSD, you get people that start asking 'what happened?' which sometimes triggers people. It also opens up a personal conversation with strangers that sometimes people just don't want to have.

I wouldn't call it 'insulting' - maybe the OP is totally comfortable sharing the information. Maybe they aren't. But its polite to not make the owner feel pressured to talk about why they need the dog.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
point taken ten-fold, i do not want to know, no harm intended. i was just interested in another aspect of working dogs. the matter is now closed for me. i will take this as a learning experience when discussing service dogs, in fact i won't discuss them again ever.

as far as i knew service dog could have meant a police K09 apprehension dog.

·
Registered
61 Posts
point taken ten-fold, i do not want to know, no harm intended. i was just interested in another aspect of working dogs. the matter is now closed for me. i will take this as a learning experience when discussing service dogs, in fact i won't discuss them again ever.

as far as i knew service dog could have meant a police K09 apprehension dog.
I wasn't trying to make you feel like you can't discuss service dogs ever again or to attack you for your comment. I just wanted to share some information from a personal point of view, from raising a soon to be service dog and having friends that currently use service dogs. Sometimes it can open up an uncomfortable conversation for the owners. We are pretty open about discussing why we have a service dog and how it will help, but a close friend of mine gets very uncomfortable having to talk to strangers about why she needs one.

No harm intended, just wanted to pass along why it was mentioned :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to the group handsome boy you have there and looks very smart and willing to work we also just got a service dog however he is currently only 10 weeks old we are training him to help her with her Autism feel free to add us a friend I you like we are new too :) hope you have a wonderful day :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That's kinda why I commented, no harm intended, but I know someone with a service dog, and when people ask him, he has no other way to say it, but that she can smell his sugar drop. I know diabetes is not that uncommon, but it's personal to him because it's so bad.

Anyways, I also always want to know what the animal can do, just because its fascinating!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree you should not have to tell others what you new the SD for unless you are comfortable saying so all that matters is he is there to help you and soon a great job

1 - 18 of 18 Posts