German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,391 Posts
He looks like a very prey driven dog. He's very equipment oriented.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
He looks like a very prey driven dog. He's very equipment oriented.
Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what is going on with Cion. Its not something I expected to become so pronounced at his age. Once Cion did bark, it was that same bark. This decoy didn't have a sleeve or tug either. Luckily for me, I caught him when I did. By caught him, I mean went to Kris.

·
Super Moderator
4,391 Posts
Train the bark as an exercise. You can't make it powerful, but it will be there.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
. Eventually he learned that the decoy was a problem and he shifted his attention. He still had a high pitched, prey bark, but it was good progress and gives us something to build on. I do not believe he will be an easy dog to push into defense. I do believe, he would bite sleeve or not.
He's only 7mos, maybe be a little patient and tap into something like that as he matures?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Train the bark as an exercise. You can't make it powerful, but it will be there.
That is how I did it with Bear. He doesn't use that high pitched whiny bark often. Or at least he din't. He has become more whiny before starting work recently.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
He's only 7mos, maybe be a little patient and tap into something like that as he matures?
The thing with the bark and prey lock, is if I was to wait longer on it, it would become a much harder problem to fix. My friend has a KNPV Mal with a similar problem. His dog is 2, had many bites, and never needed to bark for them before. His issue was much more strongly ingrained. Cion wasn't pushed to some extreme degree or any where near his limits. We did shift his focus and get him going as far as barking.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I get what you mean, I just think that will be how to handle it over time. To at least some degree you're going to make a young dog focus on equipment no matter what you do, its going to matter who does the helper work and whether they can tap into his aggression at the right time.
The first thing I work on with young dogs is drive building and bite mechanics. So initially, they are equipment focused. There is a difference between to some degree, and extreme. In this case, a dog that is so locked in to prey that you can't even get them to bark is a problem. If you let it go, it can cause much larger headaches later. The equipment focus wasn't the major issue. It makes no difference in a sport aspect. It was the prey locked mindset.

·
Super Moderator
4,391 Posts
Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Super Moderator
4,391 Posts
I'm all about combining OB with things the dog loves. I used to use a bite as an OB reward for Fama all the time if she could keep her poop in a group.

Walking that line between obedience and insanity nets you the greatest rewards., and the greatest failures.

Fun stuff this dog training is (best Yoda impersonation).

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
This is a couple videos of Cion put together. One I took earlier today to show his non reaction to jackhammering near by. The others are from last month, one playing with bear and another with me. It’s kind of what I picture when people complain about their puppies biting them.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This is a couple videos of Cion put together. One I took earlier today to show his non reaction to jackhammering near by. The others are from last month, one playing with bear and another with me. It’s kind of what I picture when people complain about their puppies biting them.
I still have never seen an owner post a video here where there puppy is what they describe as out of control, making them cry, making them afraid of them, ripping up their arms, making them want to re-home them....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I still have never seen an owner post a video here where there puppy is what they describe as out of control, making them cry, making them afraid of them, ripping up their arms, making them want to re-home them....
There’s only one person I remember posting videos of the issues he was having. The answers he got worked out quite well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Bear is a good boy.
Shadow used to play tug with Sabi and Sabi would just lay down! No chance little Punk was budging the fat cow.
Once he understood the pup was here to stay they became great friends. While still tosses around Cion when he wants to, he's pretty gentle with him. There is no bulling or anything from Bear. Cion can be pretty pushy, but he quickly backs off after a warning. Bear is pretty good at getting other dogs out of their shell. Its surprising because sometimes I have to put him under those Bud rules.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There’s only one person I remember posting videos of the issues he was having. The answers he got worked out quite well.
I just can't answer "holy cr*p you have a he-evil dog" or "that's totally normal" until I see it :giggle:

I have never had a dog that repeatedly drew blood from me or a 16 week old dog that I couldn't control or was scared of so I'm curious. Most people seem to start the thread, get a lot of feed back and questions, then disappear

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Most people seem to start the thread, get a lot of feed back and questions, then disappear
This is a big one. In general I think the puppy issues they ask about have been answered so many times, so often, the conversation comes off repetitive to me. A simple search here could deliver the answers. I think there’s more fun conversations we could have, like I want to train my dog to insert random trick, or issues they come up from working. It’s not like I don’t like talking pets, I just get tired of telling someone how to handle puppy biting.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts