German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
What a beauty 馃槏 I recently adopted my first black not long ago and i have to agree that there is something special about them that draws me more to them 馃槵
Black shepherd have a very striking appearance. Some dark sables can have a similar effect. Don't let his looks fool you though. He brings a whole lot to the table.

Registered
Black shepherd have a very striking appearance. Some dark sables can have a similar effect. Don't let his looks fool you though. He brings a whole lot to the table.
Oh i am learning that one now. She is completely different from my sable but we are learning and changing things ourselves as we go.

Registered
Wow, he鈥檚 grown up quick and very handsome indeed. The blacks are very special even if people still think they are labs with pointy ears.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
Wow, he鈥檚 grown up quick and very handsome indeed. The blacks are very special even if people still think they are labs with pointy ears.
He鈥檚 already bigger then Bear and he鈥檚 not even 7 months yet. I was talking to a lady the other day who said she had shepherds her whole life but never saw a black one before. He definitely suckers people in with his looks. I have some high hopes for him.

Registered
He鈥檚 already bigger then Bear and he鈥檚 not even 7 months yet. I was talking to a lady the other day who said she had shepherds her whole life but never saw a black one before. He definitely suckers people in with his looks. I have some high hopes for him.
I get that all the time. Don鈥檛 you feel special to have a rare GSD. Good luck with whatever you do with him. I鈥檓 sure he is more then capable

Registered
He's looking good!

Registered
Reactions: Bearshandler

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
He will! He's gonna do right by you.
He had a good night last night. He had a prey lock that I wasn鈥檛 going to be able to fix on my own, but the trainer I work with was able to figure him out pretty quickly. They also worked his dad so I we had some funny conversations about his sire and siblings.

Super Moderator
He had a good night last night. He had a prey lock that I wasn鈥檛 going to be able to fix on my own, but the trainer I work with was able to figure him out pretty quickly. They also worked his dad so I we had some funny conversations about his sire and siblings.
Can you go into this a bit?

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
Prey locked dogs are easy to see. They become hyper equipment focused, to a point were you can鈥檛 even push them into frustration. What the decoy dies really doesn鈥檛 matter, you will see them focused on the equipment. I鈥檝e seen a decoy walk up and pet Cion with 0 response because he was so focused on a tug laying out in the field. I would almost say the dog is in a true hunting mentality, where they stalk the equipment. As for last night, they recognized early on that prey frustration wasn鈥檛 going to get him to bark. We moved to suspicion work, but that also didn鈥檛 get his attention. Eventually he learned that the decoy was a problem and he shifted his attention. He still had a high pitched, prey bark, but it was good progress and gives us something to build on. I do not believe he will be an easy dog to push into defense. I do believe, he would bite sleeve or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #59
As for his dad, he has a reputation for being an a hole. It鈥檚 something that shows up in his progeny too, apparently. Once I mentioned his sire, it was like I brought up the boogie man. He was a high drive, hard, police/ military type dog. He wasn鈥檛 a points dog. Seeing her not want to pet a dog, based on his sire, says a lot.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts