German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Looks like it to me.

Lots of people think that if a GSD isn't black/tan, then it's mixed.

There's a lot of members here with black GSDs who have had strangers claim their dogs are lab mixes! Goes to show how much other people know, haha.

He's a cutie! Congrats on your new addition and welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
he's a pb gsd..my girl looked like your guy does only shes got a long coat...they gain their black as they grow..For my girl Piper she started around 4 months old or so..you can see how she looks now at 1yr 6 months in my display pic or my album

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Check the tongue! If it has purple spots on it tongue thats a way to find out if he's pure bread or. As my GSD grew he gained his spots.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That's not true. My GSD is a registered purebred and doesn't have any spots on his tongue :) He's 18 months tomorrow and they've never shown up, not all GSD's have them

OP - I would agree he looks purebred but without a pedigree there's no way to be absolutely certain. The sables do change colours often so make sure to take lots of photos to share ;):D

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Could very possibly be purebred but without papers there is no way to tell. This is Pyrate at 6 weeks. He was purebred and grew into a beautiful sable coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone :) I will for sure keep posting pics of his growth. I am very excited to see all the change as he grows.

How big are the spots on the tongue supposed to be? Are they dark spots?
I had a look in my pups mouth, and he has alot of pin size spots. Not very purple though, more like a couple shades darker then his tongue.
I had never heard of the spots on the tongue before.

Thanks again! I am enjoying all the info and pictures I am finding here.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks everyone :) I will for sure keep posting pics of his growth. I am very excited to see all the change as he grows.

How big are the spots on the tongue supposed to be? Are they dark spots?
I had a look in my pups mouth, and he has alot of pin size spots. Not very purple though, more like a couple shades darker then his tongue.
I had never heard of the spots on the tongue before.

Thanks again! I am enjoying all the info and pictures I am finding here.
Not sure that the spots are certain markers. Raina has no spots on her tongue and Pyrate didn't either. Both were papered but no spots.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The spots don't mean anything. :) Probably one of those stories circulating on the internet that take on a life of their own.

Your pup is very cute and looks pure-bred. Congrats on the new baby! Sable GSD pups go through a lot of colour changes as they grow, their final adult coloring will show up around 2 years of age.

·
Registered
238 Posts
He looks adorable! And imo looks like a PB GSD :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts