German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question, I have a new eight week old German Shepherd dog puppy male, at 7 weeks old he weighed 14.8 lbs... he wasn't the smallest in the litter but he wasn't the biggest either and his mom is about a hundred pounds and his dad is about 85 lb, my puppy's Paws just don't seem big like my last German Shepherd puppy I had that I got when he was 10 weeks old, does this mean my puppy is going to be a small dog? I've been trying to get him to eat more but he is only eating about a half a cup of day of food... I have him on diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food which he has been eating since he was three weeks old...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the size of his paw. Your dog's most likely going to be a big boy, given that his mom is 100lbs and dad is 85. (Sounds like my first GSD's parents.) What I'd be more worried about is that he's only eating 1/2 cup of food per day. They should have a quite healthy appetite at that age. Does he just not like the food? If that's the case, switch to a food that he's excited about. But switch gradually. If it's not the food, then I would take him to the vet.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’ve had dogs that had huge paws, and weren’t huge dogs. I’ve had huge dogs with small paws. I’m not sure how the “big paw, big dog” came into play, but I haven’t found the two linked in my personal experience.

The pup will be what he is, and only time can tell you for sure. Guesses and estimates can be made based on parents size, but they would be just that, guesses and estimates.

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
I agree. If he is only eating a half a cup of food a day, I would take him to the vet. That is not normal.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Yikes, I missed the food part. Definitely take him to the vet. 1/2 a cup of food is not enough to keep him healthy, and if he is not wanting more than half a cup a day, there’s something going on. My 5 month old eats 3 cups a day, and is always begging for more. He may have a worm load, may have an obstruction, may have an illness. I mean, the list could just keep going. But he needs to be vet checked ASAP.

How is he energy wise? Playing around like a normal pup, or just sleeping and uninterested in his surroundings and owner?

I wouldn’t recommend diamond products, check their recall history and buy out. There are much better kibbles out there that are around the same price range if not a little more costly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone, thank you for all the responses, he is playing just fine and happy and running around and getting into things and excited and walking up and down the two steps that lead to the side door to go outside, he's acting like a normal ornery playful puppy, I talked to the breeder and she said I've only had him 5 days so he's probably just still missing his family... could that still be the case? Because my last Shepherd I had at 10 weeks old, he didn't want to eat either but I got him to eat out of my hand and after that he scarfed down everything but this puppy goes over takes a few bites and walks away... I haven't taken the food bowl away from him at all because he's not eating so I leave it down on the floor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts