German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a single story house with 3 two story houses around it so they can see into my backyard. I can't imagine what they were thinking the other day when.........

I take the dogs out and Maiya and Annabelle immediately start chasing something that is trying to get under the deck. They were so excited that I was thinking it was someones cat or something and started to rush towards them calling them off. Then they chase it out into the grass and I see it's a rat! Maiya delivers the final blow and kills it. Then they start trying to roll in it while I am rushing to find something to pick it up with, screaming at them to leave it all the way.

So Annabelle takes off with it and it's long nasty tail hanging out of her mouth. She's playing "catch me if you can" and I'm falling for it all around the backyard. I get her to drop it after much argument between us.

Then Maiya decides she's going to swallow it! OMG NOOOOO! Remember Maiya has MegaE so whatever she swallows will sit in her throat until it decides to come back up on my floor! The last thing I want is this nasty old rat regurgitated in a ball of slime on my carpet!! So now I'm really freaking at Maiya to try to get this gross thing out of her mouth.

Maiya's got lockjaw. She's not running but just standing there taunting me with it. I'm trying not to make any sudden moves or she may swallow it just to keep me from getting it. We are in a stand-off. Standing and staring, me telling her to drop it, her ignoring my every command. I looked like a fool! I swear her and Annabelle were laughing at me.

Finally success! She drops rat to roll on it (why they do this I'll never know). I lunge at her like a raving lunatic to scare her away from it. Rat is retrieved and is thrown away. However, with all the commotion I can only guess the neighbors added another notch to their "crazy dog lady" checklist. LOL!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know the feeling.

I was out front today with Chloe on her long 30ft lead. I was working on down/stays and walking away from her, etc then recall. Anyway, after that she was running around playing and got all tangled in the lead. She kept twisting in the air and rolling around over and over and getting herself more wrapped with this lead.
(Wish I had a camera out there with me.) Here we were hollering at her to stop and trying to get to her to help, lol.

Makes me wonder what my neighbors think sometimes.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Hah!

Wolf ethologists call this behavior "scent rolling" and say it is how they
communicate what they've found out on the hunt. They also demonstrate this instinctual
behavior by sprinkling cheap perfume on the grass, the wolves come and roll in it. Better
they should smell like a French ***** than roadkill!

they are pretty goofy at times!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Thanks - I needed a laugh this morning!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My neighbors KNOW im nuts, the proof: yesterday i went outside to *rake* all the leaves up, and its a lot more work than i had anticipated, so when Mya started to roll in the leave pile, I joined her! LOL I could only imagine what they were thinking seeing me, Mya, teddy, and bear rolling in a pile of leaves!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Originally Posted By: tibvixie101My neighbors KNOW im nuts, the proof: yesterday i went outside to *rake* all the leaves up, and its a lot more work than i had anticipated, so when Mya started to roll in the leave pile, I joined her! LOL I could only imagine what they were thinking seeing me, Mya, teddy, and bear rolling in a pile of leaves!
Sounds like fun. I would join in too!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: tibvixie101My neighbors KNOW im nuts, the proof: yesterday i went outside to *rake* all the leaves up, and its a lot more work than i had anticipated, so when Mya started to roll in the leave pile, I joined her! LOL I could only imagine what they were thinking seeing me, Mya, teddy, and bear rolling in a pile of leaves!

You probably got two notches on the crazy dog lady checklist for that one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts