German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha has been my most challenging rescue yet. When I first saw Sasha it was at an adoption drive a a local pet store where I was the trainer. Since I have GSD the woman in charge of the rescue group asked me to come over and look at the shepherd. She was curled up in a wire crate trying hard not to be seen. When anyone tried to get her attention she would start growling.From what I could gather of her story was that the people would owned her before had gotten her to grow up with their young child (less then2 years old) The problem was that they did not know a lot about dogs let alone Gsd. As Sasha grew she started to knock down the child They started smacking her when she would get near the child. Sasha started growling, so they started keeping her in the crate. She would cry and they would hit the crate to keep her quite. When this no longer worked they started pocking her with a stick. the whole thing came to a head when Sasha bit the child.

I decided to take her on. And did I have my work cut out for me.
She was just a year old and she was fear aggressive, food aggressive, dog aggressive and just an totaly messed up pup. To make a long story short lol. She will now allow me to take her food. I can take her to the pet store and as long as I am there she allows people to say hello even older children (I don't trust her with babies)She no longer lunges at other dogs. She still shows too much interst in small dogs but she does well with all mine. (all large dogs) She even has another recue a chow/shepherd mix that she is in love with and she shares the same dog house with him.

She will never be 100% trust worthy for me to find her a new home. She is now happy here so she has become a perment member of the pack.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It sounds like you have done an awesome job! Thank you for saving her!:thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awww that is wonderful that you are giving her a chance to be part of your pack and have a good life.
We had a GSD rescue several years ago that was a real challenge too...dog aggressive, had fear aggression and was a handful(he had been dumped in rescue twice already) because of these behaviors. So we adopted him and worked with him and loved him and he got a little better but I didn't fully trust him. He had a good life here with us and I could tell he knew it. He was basically a good boy and we miss him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts