German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aiden is falling back into his bad habits, and is teaching Ozzy bad habits now.

I've been giving Ozzy free run of the house for a while now. Every now and then, there'd be a pee puddle from Ozzy, but nothin' drastic.

Lately, Aiden has been tearing everything up. The tables, the plants, anything that we leave laying around.... He pees on EVERYTHING, and he's even starting to poop in the house. Well, now Ozzy's starting to chew on the entertainment center and he tore up a notepad, and he's going potty in the house now.

But what does Mom do? She tells me to crate my dog! I'm going to, because since he's starting to chew stuff up, I don't want him to get a hold of something that might hurt him. But she REFUSES to crate her dog, which is the problem! UGH.

I'm starting to resent her dog, and it's not his fault. It's because she refuses to do anything about it.
The other day, I went left my drink on the table to go outside for less than a minute to tell my mom something. (She was outside smoking). I came back in, it was EVERYWHERE.

I'm at a loss. I don't know what I can do, other than crate Ozzy. She won't crate Aiden. She doesn't correct him. She won't train him. UGGGGGHHHH. Sorry, rant over. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I live by myself (well with my girl) for a reason..

Co-housing is only fun with roommates in the college days. Other than that, I dont ever think I could live with a parent.

·
Registered
522 Posts
ah, sounds like me and my brothers situation! my brothers dog barks nonstop, can't do a simple sit, is food agressive and scared to death of my brother. I keep skylar crated if i can't watch them, i don't like his dog, don't trust her, he refuses to train her at all, it's not her fault, but i still don't like her.
Keep yours crated, could you maybe work with your moms dog a bit? I work with my brothers sometimes (she gets zero exercise unless i do it! he thinks 2 trips to the beach in the summer lasts the whole year :rolleyes:) so maybe you could help him? after all, it's not the dogs fault in either of our cases, i can't wait to live on my own with just my dogs.
I know it's frustrating, :hug:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work with him every now and then, but in all honesty, the fact that he's not my dog and how he's been intervening with MY dog's training has been making me dislike him, and I think he can pick up on this. He's far more loving with my mom than he is me. He tries to avoid me. I still love on him and he lavishes the attention, but it's different when Mom loves on him. It's hard to explain. I KNOW that he'd do well for her if she'd work with him though.
When I make him go outside sometimes, he tries pushing me to see how far inside he can come in the house before I make him go back out, like it's a game. Urg.

·
Registered
972 Posts
maybe once ozzy is in the crate and stuff keeps happening in the house you can say well its not MY dog!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She knows it's Aiden and Ozzy. I haven't caught Ozzy chewing on anything, but she has. I'm not going to doubt her. We've both caught Aiden. And we can tell who's peeing and pooping by the size of the puddles/piles. :/
She just WILL NOT do anything about it. Won't crate him. Won't train him. Won't do anything.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats one of the reasons i cant stand the fact my inlaws have Zena. Its for her health but i KNOW she's not getting the training and such she needs to stay behaved and chilled out. My inlaws let their mangy mutts (i seriously HATE their dogs and it IS the dogs fault) do anything. My FIL trains and tries to work with them but they're dumb. I cant stand dumb dogs. I couldnt stand the dogs parents (long story short a roommate last year allowed their mangy mutt female to breed with their mangy mutt male and 11 mangy mutts were the result). I even have trouble living with my husband. If its just me and the kids (when hubby is off for a week or more training or on a coverage or deployed) its heaven around here. i'm sorry you're in a situation that sucks. never any fun. good luck. Ozzy is still young enough you can correct the bad behavior before its a constant struggle.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Her house... Her rules. That's how it goes when living with your parents.

As for the recent peeing in the house, it's sounds like the dogs are competing by marking their territory. One dog catches the other dogs scent and they mark their spots.

What are you doing to clean up their messes? Do you have one of those dog specific enzyme cleaners? They work really well and might help your problem.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We don't argue about it or anything. And I know it's her house and her rules. But I'm also sick of her telling me to clean up HER dog's pee and HER dog's poop and stepping in it. I don't mind Ozzy's, because the puddles are smaller and easier to clean, and he's my dog.

But she just thinks it's funny or something. I tell her, "You should start crating him," and she gets that smile on her face like when a little kid pulls a prank and got caught. She doesn't say anything.

I do believe that Aiden is marking. But I think Ozzy's just peeing. Aiden pees in specific areas. Given, there are many areas, and the areas are large, but they're always in the same areas. Ozzy's puddles are always in random spots.
I have no idea how to get Aiden to quit marking. Other than crating. He's neutered and he LOVES Ozzy. He screams for a bit when Ozzy comes up the stairs with me. He plays with Ozzy alllll the time. Eeeesh.

We use the pet urine odor eliminator stuff. I have no idea what it's called, but it does have the enzymes. I told my mom to make sure it had that in it or it'd do absolutely no good. (Doesn't seem to do any good regardless).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts