German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maple (7 months) has just been diagnosed with MegaE. Although her prognosis is good since she seem to only have a mild case and she's gaining weight, it still scares the crap out of me. She has brought so much joy in our lives.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
She belongs on a cover somewhere , beautiful. I am not familiar with the sickness but I wish her the best with her recovery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Stunning girl! You will get lots of good advice from experienced people here. All the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like it's genetic. She's been doing it since she was 8 weeks old. My first vet said that she would grow out of it. I went to a different vet this week and he said all signs point to megaE. They want to do a esophagoscopy to confirm. When she was a little pup she almost regurgitated on purpose. She would hang her throat over the cross bar of a chair or lay down with her paw under her chin and it would come out. But that passed... until just recently, now she mostly only regurgitates when she jumps down from our bed, or down from having her paws up on my dresser (where my cat like hanging out) and she doesn't regurgitate every time.

She always ended up keeping her meal down with very little effort on our part and that was just plain regular kibble. When it does come up she eats it again and then she's fine. So we started giving her the kibble after being soaked for a while so that it resembles the regurgitated stuff.

I feel like if I can just control the jumping after eating (although running around playing doesn't seem to be a problem), she should be fine. It's weird... in my head it's like she has megaE and doesn't all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Great info here

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=604&S=1

I have a Mega boy since he was a pup. You need to build a bailey chair, get a good blender. Water can be an issue, it needs to be incorporated into the meals in a smooth slurry type shake.

Have lots of paper towels around. Buy Gas X since they can bloat from excess gas. They need to be feed three times a day in smaller meals. Its not a death sentence, its manageable. Seven years and my boy is doing great, no meds. Once you get a good routine going it gets easier. I will help you if you need any advice.

The jumping down and regurgitating just means the foods not going down. If you do a bailey chair it helps with that. That food will come out sooner or later, it can build up. Water can be your biggest issue. You try and get the daily water supply into the blended food. If water becomes an issue learn how to do it Subcutaneous, its easy.

What happens is the esophagus is spongy, flimsy, and not functioning normally. Pockets are formed in the throat. The more food sits in the throat the bigger the pocket becomes.

It can take a while for the food to come out. The food on a Mega E dog doesn't go down and it sits in a pockets caused by the flimsy esophagus. Depending on the size of the pocket which grows and shrinks at different times. We blend his food so it comes up smooth like a milk shake. On my guy I have had things come out months later. yes, months. Not always food that comes out. We get surprises, socks, a small corn cob and other things.

Try massaging the neck area and see if you hear food in the throat. You can also get a whoopie cushion sounds out of the throat from the excess air.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Until you build a bailey chair (or have one custom-made online), put your food bowl up on top of a wide kitchen step stool, so the dog has to put its paws up on a step to eat from the top -- creating an elevated angle. Then after the meal, sit on the couch with the dog between your knees, puts its paws on the coffee table, and give it a massage for as long as it will sit still for it -- aim for 10-15 minutes. This vertical position will help the food slide down. It's a temporary solution -- you still need a bailey chair, but this will help while you're organizing getting one.

If you don't want to blend the food as kr16 suggested, then look at feeding a rehydrated food like the Honest Kitchen -- it's a just-add-water food that reconstitutes into a porridge. I'd put extra water or broth in it to reconstitute, to increase the hydration.
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blog/megaesophagus/

If you do blend the food, keep in mind that not all foods blend and soak equally well. With a foster dog, we found Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete (a high calorie food) blended better than Victor or Fromm. It may take some trial and error to find the right food. That particular foster dog was very, very hard to keep weight on, so his vet wanted him on a higher calorie food like this -- others with mega-E may need lower protein, lower fat options. You could likely go with a more "normal" option if your dog is holding weight nicely.

It's good that your new vet knows about mega-E. A lot of vets are clueless about it, and having a vet with experience managing it will be a huge advantage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts