German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a teeny bit irked today. I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ the Z71 tow package on it. Started noticing that my tires are going flat repeatedly, especially at night when the temps drop. My credit score isn't GREAT, but I've seen worse. Wasn't planning on new tires until the end of the month, but that's looking to not be an option at this point. So, I figured, well maybe I can finance or partially finance the tires (looking at about $800 in tires). So I was denied which bugs me. I make just a bit under $4,000 a month before taxes. The only debt I have is student loans and some random medical bills. My total debt is approximately $10,000 if that. Never had CC's, and I literally OWN my own home without a mortgage. I just find it so dumb that I cannot even get financing for a small amount of money. I had planned on just making a straight up cash payment on all of it, but I am just getting to the point where my new job is helping me out of the red. Nothing I can do I guess. My husband and I have a very small family, so no chance of anyone helping us out (both our moms have a lot of debt from divorces). Oh well, maybe Santa will bring me some LOL. It's okay though, I will just probably get some used ones to hold me over until next month. Thank you for all listening to me cry babying lol :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Is it the outstanding medical bills? Or the lack of credit history if you have no mortgage, no CC, and small student debt?

I also live in MI, we have a mortgage, and between my husband and I started with over $80K in student debt since neither of us had any help from parents (I have been making payments since I was 17 and I am 30 so that's 13 years of credit history on that one account alone). We have one CC we share which is nearly max'd but I pay on it every month and my project next year is paying it off. I have never been late paying the mortgage or any of our 6 student loan payments every month so we have great credit scores (or at least did when we got our house not long ago). Our student loans account for almost twice what we pay for our house (mortgage, insurance, and taxes) every month! Once those are gone I will feel like the richest person in the world :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Did you try Firestone? I got a 6 months no interest rate from them so I did it. They asked me; I was just going to pay cash.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you try Firestone? I got a 6 months no interest rate from them so I did it. They asked me; I was just going to pay cash.
Yes, this is what prompted me to be a baby about it all. I was denied automatically!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is it the outstanding medical bills? Or the lack of credit history if you have no mortgage, no CC, and small student debt?

I also live in MI, we have a mortgage, and between my husband and I started with over $80K in student debt since neither of us had any help from parents (I have been making payments since I was 17 and I am 30 so that's 13 years of credit history on that one account alone). We have one CC we share which is nearly max'd but I pay on it every month and my project next year is paying it off. I have never been late paying the mortgage or any of our 6 student loan payments every month so we have great credit scores (or at least did when we got our house not long ago). Our student loans account for almost twice what we pay for our house (mortgage, insurance, and taxes) every month! Once those are gone I will feel like the richest person in the world :)
I am not sure, but they really aren't that much. In total, they are about $1,000. I haven't paid them because (without indulging too much as it was a very personal matter) the hospital I went to for emergency services were the most horrible people I've ever encountered. I filed a complaint and it's been going back and forth for about a year now.
Edit: You are probably right on the credit history, but what the heck how can I establish anything if no one gives me any lol. I might just have to break down and apply for one of those ungodly 500% interest rate fixed credit cards (exaggeration but they are really high).

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Well google your credit score and look up ways to improve it. You can work towards bringing it up. When my daughter was a teenager I got her started by having her take a secured loan at the bank (I had to cosign since she was a minor), then we watched as she got the credit cards most college kids get offered. Now she is under 30 and over 800 and still a poor grad student.

And yes, get an ungodly rate credit card, use it, AND pay it off EVERY SINGLE MONTH. it will show up on your report. Just read the fine print and make sure there are no fees. There are good reasons to shop with a credit card. I just automatically log on and pay the balance every paycheck. If I want a big purchase, I wait until I have the money to pay it off.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they're leaking, not worn out, have you thought about having someone just check them and maybe re-mount them? maybe 15 dollars a tire or so?
I am definitely going to check, but they are pretty cupped. I have all terrain tires on my vehicle and they are pretty used up. Which is why I was already planning on getting them done. I was just hoping to do it after my sons birthday and Christmas had passed since they are only days apart...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Started noticing that my tires are going flat repeatedly, especially at night when the temps drop.
If they're leaking, not worn out, have you thought about having someone just check them and maybe re-mount them? maybe 15 dollars a tire or so?
I agree with Steve.

Note that temperature drops will also drop your tire pressure at least until the temps come back up. It could also be a bad or loose valve. I'd try tightening the valve first as that is free. If it moves or tightens that may be your problem.

If they are leaking all the way to flat then you might have a puncture. A tire patch kit is cheap and it's not that hard to do yourself. As long as the puncture is not in the sidewall then a patch can do wonders. Could be some dirt that worked its way into the tire bead so remounting them (and cleaning the bead) may work.

I am a huge TireRack fan FWIW. Most shops cannot beat their prices and they have even negotiated mounting deals with local tire shops. No affiliation just a happy customer.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
The only suggestion I can make is we buy our tires through dh's work. One because then we get his company discount and two, they do the work right at the yard. We bought two new tires for our chev silverado and rims and it was only $500. It took them a week to send the invoice to the office and I just mailed a cheque, but we could have put it on the company account if we wanted to and paid off in increments. Not sure if you or your husband have that, or have a friend who works somewhere who can do similar?
The only other thing I would suggest, is get your mechanic to order and install and work out with him. We use a private shop, have for two years and more than once, I have said to him, you are only getting X number of dollars today, you can have the rest Thursday or Friday. He knows we will pay him and sometimes I don't have the cash on hand for a purchase or repair and it will take 24 hours to move it. He also knows, I don't know the pin to my credit card. When the pin arrived, I threw it out! I thought, because using a pin wasn't prevelant, it was just swipe and go, that I only needed the pin for cash advances and I don't do cash advances on credit. I've never bothered to get another pin, the card expires in May and I'll do it then! My most recent card I got, I have to go into the bank to pick it up and set the pin, I haven't made it there yet! The electronic age has made visiting a branch unnecessary for me LOL.
Where there is a will, there is a way and I am sure you will figure it out. However yes, credit is a necessary evil, you need it for almost anything you do, but you REALLY have to care for it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Steve.

Note that temperature drops will also drop your tire pressure at least until the temps come back up. It could also be a bad or loose valve. I'd try tightening the valve first as that is free. If it moves or tightens that may be your problem.

If they are leaking all the way to flat then you might have a puncture. A tire patch kit is cheap and it's not that hard to do yourself. As long as the puncture is not in the sidewall then a patch can do wonders. Could be some dirt that worked its way into the tire bead so remounting them (and cleaning the bead) may work.

I am a huge TireRack fan FWIW. Most shops cannot beat their prices and they have even negotiated mounting deals with local tire shops. No affiliation just a happy customer.
Thanks for the hint on the TireRack. I've visited their site many a times, and I've always hesitated because I wasn't sure what I would do when I received the tires. But if they negotiate the mounting, that would make it easier.

·
Registered
426 Posts
A couple of things....

Are your tires cupped on the inside outside or both. Under inflation and bad alignment can be the cause. Improper inflation can cause premature chassis wear.

Check to see if the wheels were ever on call back for early deterioration or porous which could cause slow leaks. I am assuming your vehicle has OEM alloy wheels. If aftermarket check with them. Your tires may have had a call back, check with them.

You may also want to try nitrogen. It has larger molecules with allow for a more stabile pressure in cold weather and less leakage.

Tire Rack is good. I get all my High Performance tires there.

On the credit side check and see if your local tire chains offer a credit card for monthly payments.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only suggestion I can make is we buy our tires through dh's work. One because then we get his company discount and two, they do the work right at the yard. We bought two new tires for our chev silverado and rims and it was only $500. It took them a week to send the invoice to the office and I just mailed a cheque, but we could have put it on the company account if we wanted to and paid off in increments. Not sure if you or your husband have that, or have a friend who works somewhere who can do similar?
The only other thing I would suggest, is get your mechanic to order and install and work out with him. We use a private shop, have for two years and more than once, I have said to him, you are only getting X number of dollars today, you can have the rest Thursday or Friday. He knows we will pay him and sometimes I don't have the cash on hand for a purchase or repair and it will take 24 hours to move it. He also knows, I don't know the pin to my credit card. When the pin arrived, I threw it out! I thought, because using a pin wasn't prevelant, it was just swipe and go, that I only needed the pin for cash advances and I don't do cash advances on credit. I've never bothered to get another pin, the card expires in May and I'll do it then! My most recent card I got, I have to go into the bank to pick it up and set the pin, I haven't made it there yet! The electronic age has made visiting a branch unnecessary for me LOL.
Where there is a will, there is a way and I am sure you will figure it out. However yes, credit is a necessary evil, you need it for almost anything you do, but you REALLY have to care for it.
Worse comes to worse, I am going to have a little talk with my employer. I do have a company CC that would be able to cover it. Gonna try to wait until Monday though as my boss is coming back from out of town tomorrow. I don't want to bug him after all the traveling. But figured worse case I can pay what I can, and see if they will let me pay the rest on the company card...Fingers crossed that this works out!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yea that doesn't make much since to me. Perhaps it's the lack of credit history? I have 4 cards, a mortgage, student loans (60k), leased car, and private loans...I've never been denied. And I make about what you make.

However I have pretty good credit, it's dropped this year because of my house purchase and the associated costs...but I expect that to be temporary.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A couple of things....

Are your tires cupped on the inside outside or both. Under inflation and bad alignment can be the cause. Improper inflation can cause premature chassis wear.

Check to see if the wheels were ever on call back for early deterioration or porous which could cause slow leaks. I am assuming your vehicle has OEM alloy wheels. If aftermarket check with them. Your tires may have had a call back, check with them.

On the credit side check and see if your local tire chains offer a credit card for monthly payments.
I think you are right...One of my accounts is GM, maybe I can bug the crap outta someone and see first. I inherited this truck last year after my father passed away at the age of 52. He was normally really good with maintenance, but I think he let some things go because he was not feeling well. They are pretty much cupped all over, and the tread is pretty worn down. He used to drive this on site when he was running his drill rig.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea that doesn't make much since to me. Perhaps it's the lack of credit history? I have 4 cards, a mortgage, student loans (60k), leased car, and private loans...I've never been denied. And I make about what you make.

However I have pretty good credit, it's dropped this year because of my house purchase and the associated costs...but I expect that to be temporary.
I'm a thinking you are right on this one. *BIG SIGH* I knew this day would come though, just gotta get my big girl pants outta storage and get me a CC lol

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks for the hint on the TireRack. I've visited their site many a times, and I've always hesitated because I wasn't sure what I would do when I received the tires. But if they negotiate the mounting, that would make it easier.
NP.

TireRack will ship directly to the installer of your choice. When I was under warranty the local BMW shop wanted to sell me tires. I told them to match TireRack or I would go elsewhere. They did so and TireRack shipped to the dealer.

I've ordered several sets of tires from them both mounted and unmounted. They usually arrive in a couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Worse comes to worse, I am going to have a little talk with my employer. I do have a company CC that would be able to cover it. Gonna try to wait until Monday though as my boss is coming back from out of town tomorrow. I don't want to bug him after all the traveling. But figured worse case I can pay what I can, and see if they will let me pay the rest on the company card...Fingers crossed that this works out!
Umm unless this is a VERY VERY small company I would NOT go there. Even asking. Most companies are very protective of personal use of corporate credit cards.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Umm unless this is a VERY VERY small company I would NOT go there. Even asking. Most companies are very protective of personal use of corporate credit cards.
Yes it's pretty small...This would be my last resort. The gentlemen who's position I am taking over since he is retiring said that if it gets really bad, that I might give it a go. Come February, it's a non issue as that's when I get my company car. My biggest account is GM so I am required to drive a GM vehicle when I travel lol

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
It's the lack of rotating credit. My son has the same issue. He makes big money. Has sizable checking and savings (more than I make in 3 years) and yet can't get a decent interest on a loan because he has no CC's and regular payments except his truck and his Harley. It's stupid.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.