German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My girl is about 80lbs and 3 years old. She itches all the time and I am unsure if it is diet related or what the root cause is. She is fed Orijen Adult and she does get Fresh Factors and vegetables supplemented to her kibble(green beans, carrots, peas, etc).

I used to give her fish oil, but didn't see a drastic change in her itching. Some months are better than others. She was on Benadryl for awhile, but have recently taken her off and no change(better or worse).

I am wondering if it may be time for a switch of food; maybe to Kirkland? Any other recommendations? She did not like TOTW at all. I fed her that when I first rescued her and she was not happy. She loves Orijen, I'm just not sure Orijen loves her.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
More fish oil, add coconut oil and add some humidification to your house. It's very dry this winter.

If you have pollen out right now, consider adding a teaspoon of local, unpasteurized honey per day to her diet.

If she itches year round, I would look at environment, dust mites, etc. And put her on a LID food such as fish and sweet potato to rule out food allergies.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lulu started itching when I started her on honest kitchen. I took her off of it and put her on Orijn And that helped a lot. Then she started itching again and it turned out to be the treats I was giving her. Make sure that your treats don't have any wheat or other grains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts