German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a letter today stating my insurance company is dropping me because of my german shepherd on the premise. Never even asked me if it was mine or anything...I just bought my new house and the insurance company came to take pictures of the house..they just walked into my backyard without saying anything and he suprised my dog..needless to say he went running real quick...thank god my wife was in the backyard to call her off...well I just got the letter they will be canceling me in 2 weeks...I wouldnt care but this company is half the price of everyone else...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, that stinks. We have State Farm, and they don't care what type of dog we have (at least they didn't back when we had a Rottie). I was up front about it and told them when we got her, and they didn't increase our rate or anything - just said that if she ever bit anyone, then she'd be considered a liability and the policy rate could be increase (or dropped, I assume). I didn't even bother to tell them when we got Kodee (we don't have the Rottie anymore). So you might want to check State Farm out...good luck. Hopefully they won't be too much higher than whoever you have now.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Woah, that is scary! Did they ask you about dogs when you signed up for the policy?

We have USAA and there are no issues with any particular breed of dog.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Our insurance agency we have been with for 32 years informed us that they would no longer carry the insurance we have had for that 32 years. We figured no problem , who do you suggest ? Then the questions.we were declined by 2 companies and the 3rd took us on the condition the agent meets our dogs.You need to picture an 80 lb. shepherd placing his front paws on the agents shoulders and a big slurping kiss ! Both shepherds did great.... luckily he didn't have to meet our lab !!! It made a difference that our dogs had obedience and continuing agility classes.
If your pup had obedience, let them know, maybe it will make a difference.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We have been unable to get homeowners until recently because of where we are. We have what's called the "beach plan" and all NC insurers are made to participate if they want to do business here. I don't really understand it, but it is state administered, and is designed to spread the risk evenly for the high risk areas on the coast. If they say I can't have a GSD we are in big trouble. I know in the last couple of years homeowners has again become available, but it's far more expensive than the beach plan.

·
Registered
501 Posts
thats redic - but i heard about that! if you have a certain type of dog they wont cover you but other companies lower your policy if you HAVE a gsd cus they are "guard dogs" but that is so redic.

good luck =\

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
u know...who in there right mind would bother to break in a house with a GSD, pittbull, rottweiler, doberman etc etc in it??? if i were the insurance company i would recomend haveing a dog lol. other than because of dog bite's, but if u are expecting company and u know ur dog is a biter..lock them up. if ur not expecting company than its trespassing.....

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
Only too many people are stupid idiots. They think their dog will be fine with Uncle Fester and Dufus has never met a bald guy before, growls low and waits while the idiot Fester approaches him. His clueless owners think it is great that the dog is entertaining Uncle Fester. When the dog bites the weirdow, everyone is shocked, only not so shocked that the insurance policy is not considered and people are not able to muster the energy to sue.

I think that an insurance company would rather you be robbed and they have to pay back a set amount for your goods, rather than the possible hospital bills and pain and suffering.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: lutzyI wouldnt care but this company is half the price of everyone else...
Now you know why they were cheaper. It's a sad statistic these days. Like many other things, it pays to shop around.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Got a BIG issue with insurance companies.Seems they only insure the people who are at LOW risk.If you have a claim they stall-refuse-punish you till you give up.
I have pending claim for dog bite (not proved)not only was insurance cancelled and I now am with Lloyds of London at a $2000 yr with NO dog coverage!!-they have stalled-not responded to-not even queried claim to me and have no idea of there interaction with complainant lawyer.I have been summoned to reply to a case filed in superior court that they said not to respond to summons and refuse to be proactive or free with info.The 2 year point is upcoming and NO ONE has helped me nor paid claim OR challenged claim.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We also were refused house insurance due to owing a GSD.. When the insurance guy was questioned, he thought it would make me feel better by telling me that Rotties, Pit Bulls, and Doberman's were on the same list.. It didn't matter how trained they are.. it is just due to the name of the breed.. NOT HAPPY.... I received a phone call from a security company offering to come and do an inspection to show me how their system can provide me security.. when they were informed that we had our "own"... they said that we did not need to waste our time.. that most break ins were deterred from owning a dog.. Not any particular breed.. just owning a dog.. so where is the insurance company basing their decision?? My home is low risk for break ins and low risk for dog bites due to training but I remain high risk??? Go figure??? The funny thing is.. we live in a cement block building that has two roofs.. the insurance guy told us that they do not cover for nuke attack and that other than that, we are pretty well a safe bet.. until the dog issue.. What do they consider a low risk??

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok, so those of you who did have insurance companies and are still required to have insurance through your mortgage company, but were dropped.....what did you do? What companies other than State Farm will take people who own dogs?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have State Farm so I cannot answer about the other insurance companies. However, I am told that some insurance companies will reconsider IF your dog is CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certified.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have Traveler's Insurance, and they don't care what kind of dog I have. However, I also live in Pennsylvania where they can't discriminate against dog breeds.

·
Registered
304 Posts
After we moved a few year ago into an "Upscale" area of town, Liberty Mutual cancelled our homeowners out of the blue after having both auto (2 cars) and homeowners with them for at least 6 years with 0 claims. Their reason - "You own more then 1 GSD, get rid of all but 1 and we will continue your coverage"

Needless to say, I dropped our cars with them as fast as they dropped our homeowners.

Just thinking about it still get me fired up

·
Registered
681 Posts
Originally Posted By: GrandJan
I have Traveler's Insurance, and they don't care what kind of dog I have. However, I also live in Pennsylvania where they can't discriminate against dog breeds.
You may want to talk to them about that.

I also live in PA, and have Travelers. Last year when we bought our house I had a long discussion with a couple of agents about what breeds they would and wouldn't allow. They DO have a list, and it's long.

Rotties, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Staffies, American bulldogs, Bull mastiffs, Huskies, Malamutes, Chows, Akitas, Great danes, Wolf hybrids, and any mix containing any of the above. (that is what I can recall off the top of my head)

As I said above, pretty much all I was left with were GSDs and English mastiffs. I was told under no uncertain terms that if I have any of the breeds listed on my property, our policy would be dropped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts