German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from work yesterday to find out my house has been broken into! Took my laptop, camera and jewelry. Poor Chance was is in his crate the whole time and is now a neurotic mess. All our training to reinforce his confidence is shot. He is glued to me. I am devastated. I have lived in my house for 24 years and nothing like this has ever happened before. Have to get my whole back door replaced. They ripped out the whole handle/lock mechanism and broke the glass. My yard is enclosed so they also had to get over a six foot privacy fence! Just can't believe this. Happened between 12:30 pm and 5pm. thinking someone saw me leave after lunch. Even the police can't believe someone broke in since I have a warning sign on the door about the dog. Everyone in the neighborhood knows I always have a large German Shepherd living here! They must have looked through the slider and seen him in his crate. My poor baby! At least they did not hurt him physically. They did not come into my upstairs office or I probably would not have this computer. Thank goodness I had nothing personal on my laptop, just pictures, but now I have lost all the pictures from my camera and my laptop. What can I do to help Chance get over this? He is only 16 months old. He was not ready to be left out of the crate during the day and I feel awful for him. He is so stressed out and so am I!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I came home from work yesterday to find out my house has been broken into! Took my laptop, camera and jewelry. Poor Chance was is in his crate the whole time and is now a neurotic mess. All our training to reinforce his confidence is shot. He is glued to me. I am devastated. I have lived in my house for 24 years and nothing like this has ever happened before. Have to get my whole back door replaced. They ripped out the whole handle/lock mechanism and broke the glass. My yard is enclosed so they also had to get over a six foot privacy fence! Just can't believe this. Happened between 12:30 pm and 5pm. thinking someone saw me leave after lunch. Even the police can't believe someone broke in since I have a warning sign on the door about the dog. Everyone in the neighborhood knows I always have a large German Shepherd living here! They must have looked through the slider and seen him in his crate. My poor baby! At least they did not hurt him physically. They did not come into my upstairs office or I probably would not have this computer. Thank goodness I had nothing personal on my laptop, just pictures, but now I have lost all the pictures from my camera and my laptop. What can I do to help Chance get over this? He is only 16 months old. He was not ready to be left out of the crate during the day and I feel awful for him. He is so stressed out and so am I!
I dont have any advice, but i do have hugs :hugs:

Im sorry to hear that, no one should go through that! Im sure someone will give you great advice! <w

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh wow, I am so sorry this happened! I don't have any advice, except maybe try to be strong for him, he can feel that youre upset. But my gosh that would be very hard for me to relax after somehting like that. And everyone always tells you that just having a GSD should be a good enough deterrant! They must have been some pretty bold thieves.

Good thoughts and prayers for you can Chance!!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
So sorry that this has happened to you, but thank God they did not harm your beloved Chance. When our babies are crated they have no way to protect themselves from torture or death from evil people. This is always a worry in the back of my mind, though my lab has free run of the house. Give him extra hugs just for the reason he is safe, as for how it harmed him mentally I have no experience as to offer suggestions. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I am thinking it was someone in the neighborhood that robbed you. Someone that is familiar with your habits. Knowing that: 1. you have a German Shepherd 2. when you were gone. 3. that German Shepherd is crated. 4. what valuables you have that can be taken quiet easily. 5. access through the back door that wont be seen due to the privacy fence. You live in my area, and I can recommend someone to talk to if you like. And by that I mean dog trainer.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Wow! Lucky they didn't take him too or harm him. I'm so sorry you were violated. I hope whoever did this is caught and prosecuted.
I agree with Cayla, it will be hard, but stay strong for Chance.
Do any of your neigbhors run video security cams?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm so sorry! At least they didn't take the opportunity to harm your dog while he was in his crate, and I agree with dawnandjr, we have a lot of good trainers in this area so somebody can try and help you and Chance work through this, i'm sure it had to be very upsetting for the poor guy. :hugs:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Wow that's horrible... He's probably lucky he was in his crate.
Is he reacting to what happened, or to how you're reacting? I know what it's like to be broken into and a lot of it probably rubs off on the dogs.
For all you know, he could have had a great time with the "visitors" in the house until he saw your reaction when you got home. They were likely only in there for a few seconds seeing as they didn't even go upstairs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am thinking it was someone in the neighborhood that robbed you. Someone that is familiar with your habits. Knowing that: 1. you have a German Shepherd 2. when you were gone. 3. that German Shepherd is crated. 4. what valuables you have that can be taken quiet easily. 5. access through the back door that wont be seen due to the privacy fence. You live in my area, and I can recommend someone to talk to if you like. And by that I mean dog trainer.
I'd have to agree completely.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
How scary! I just cannot imagine what that would feel like to come home and find your house had been robbed. Especially when our dogs are often left int heir crates. I too would wonder if it was someone nearby that knew your routine. So glad they did not harm your baby too.

When I leave my house, if I leave the dogs indoors they are crated and if I leave them outside they re in their kennel, so anyone could rob me too. I am looking into getting a security camera (started a thread but guess it has to be approved?) for extra protection and to prove what happens around my house.

Wish I had the wisdom as to how to help your dog thru the anxiety, but he could be reacting to you being upset. Mine would for sure. However, I can't imagine anyone being brave enough to try to rob me because they do not know for a fact that my dogs are crated and most neighbors know that my female is not friendly.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Wow that's horrible... He's probably lucky he was in his crate.
Is he reacting to what happened, or to how you're reacting? I know what it's like to be broken into and a lot of it probably rubs off on the dogs.
For all you know, he could have had a great time with the "visitors" in the house until he saw your reaction when you got home. They were likely only in there for a few seconds seeing as they didn't even go upstairs.
That's a good possible scenario. If they know you or are experienced thieves, they may have brought some hot dogs and sweet-talked Chance. Our dogs are sensitive to our feelings and he may be reacting to yours. .... Just one possibility .....

Glad nobody was hurt. The feeling of being violated stays with you, hope you can talk to a professional.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Poor You and Poor Chance. I am so sorry your life has been invaded and Chance has had his confidence shattered. I would try to act as "normal" around him as you possibly can. Take him to places that are fun and try to get his mind off of what has happened. He is young and he will bounce back. I do hope that they catch these bad guys. It must be difficult for you to sleep at night.

My home in St. Louis was broken into at night while I was alseep and before I had a dog. It terrified me. I had nightmares for years. But once I got a GSD, the nightmares completely went away. London sleeps at the foot of my bed.

Perhaps you should think about getting a second dog? Sometimes a companion will really help a single dog with fear issues, especially if it is a confident female with a insecure male. Just a thought.

I do hope you both recover from this fast.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wow. That is horrible. I am so sorry that happened. I am really glad they didn't hurt Chance though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's one of those things that I am a little concerned about here, since it's not happened before, I fear I might be due.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it's got to be a huge irritation! :(

·
Registered
583 Posts
OMG! I'm so sorry this happened to you and Chance. There's some really sick people in this world. I'm just Glad they didn't physically harm Chance or take him. Hugs to both you and Chance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm so sorry about all this that happened :[ All I can think of to help him is time, and spending alot of it with him... Hope things get better.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that. Though thank goodness you both are not hurt, especially that your dog was not taken. Most burglars even steal the pets to resell or hold for them for ransom. I know its hard, I know how it feels, but you both can only grow stronger. I would take him out to pet stores and the park to reintroduce socialization and also distract both of you from the situation. To make yourself feel more comfortable at home acquire a security system or maybe even some cameras. I have seen a few that run 70 to 90 online. It's a peace of mind. The longer you are nervous, which Is understandable, the longer chance will be too. Dogs can pick up on our emotions. I wish you all the best. Take cares.

Sorry for any misspells, I am typing on my phone.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone for your kind words. they actually did make it upstairs to my bedroom and went through everything and I lost jewelry. They did not go down the hallway to my office thank goodness. I am thinking they looked into the house from the deck and saw Chance in his crate. I am actually working with a trainer and have a call into her for some advice. Just got the door boarded up and it is going to be replaced. Have padlocks on all my doors now! I am guessing they saw me leave after coming home for lunch. I do have a security system, but was not armed and have not used it in years because my dogs kept setting off the motion sensors and this street is normally pretty quiet. Even the police said they were suprised to get a call on this street. Would love to take him out today, but the weather is horrendous, windy, cold and snowy. going to just try and relax today and keept to our normal weekend routine. Going to start working with him soon on getting out of the crate during the day. I have lived here for 24 years and nothing like this has ever happened before.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts