German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't about my GSD but instead about my 8 year old dutch dwarf bunny. He was the first pet I owned on my own. I noticed today a HUGE lump under his chin with a small scab on it. I immediately took him to the vet and she thinks it is either a very large abcess or a mass. Either way, the options are not good. She is willing to try and drain it but says that there is a 95% chance that lancing it won't fix the problem and that it will return if it is an abcess.

I made the decision to have him euthanized although I am going to probably do it next week on my day off. He is still eating and drinking and fairly active. Although he is not grooming himself and keeping himself as clean as usual. My heart is breaking. While I honestly knew this was going to be a real possibility I found I am really not ready. I decided to wait since he was still able to take in food and water and make this last week count. He will get lots of his favorite treats and plenty of loving.

I was crying so bad at the vets just talking about it. I really don't know how I will handle the actual goodbyes. I have already told them I plan to be with him, I could never just hand him off to strangers and have him be scared those last minutes.

This is soooo painful. I always knew it would be but had no idea how bad it actually is.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just bought his Christmas stocking last night. It is hanging from my mantel beside Dharma's and my cat's. It is going to kill me to not be able to fill it for him.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm so sorry, I know it's hard.

:hugs:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am so sorry about your bunny. :hugs:

·
Registered
224 Posts
So Sorry to hear about your bunny. I used to have bunnies myself and enjoyed many hours of bunny burn-outs and kick-outs. Their antics kept us in stitches and provided much warmth in our hearts.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. And Kelly's Buddy, I know what you mean. He can be quite entertaining. He has never been very friendly since my ex-husband used to torment him bu rubbing his nose and belly (both of which he hates) when he was younger. My favorite thing though as always been to watch him groom his ears. I have always loved watching him lick his paw and then pull that long ear down to clean it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So sorry to hear about your bunny. It is hard to let go, even when it is the right thing to do. My thoughts are with you, and your little friend. My brother had a bunny when we were growing up. They can be wonderful pets.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I sympathize with you too. We have eight indoor (caged of course) rabbits and each has his own personality and bond with us. It's amazing how quickly issues develop with the smaller species (we have chinchillas too) - those high metabolisms just spread things so quickly that usually when you find a problem it's too late to treat. :(

I hope you're able to enjoy your week with bunny!

We have a dwarf polish rabbit who has a big ole' fatty tumor under her arm. Are you sure the growth isn't "just" a fatty tumor? Jellybean has had her tumor for a while - when I first discovered it, I thought for sure she was on the way out, but it really doesn't seem to bother her one bit.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone. I am doing a bit better now. But still get teary eyed when I look at him or talk about it. All my friends are being wonderful. And next week one of my best friends has already volunteered to go with me.

The abcess is hard and already has erupted through the skin under his chin. Plus he has become less active although he still gets around just seems to be laying around more. Plus the vet saw pus in his mouth.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
*hugs* Sorry about your buddy...give him lots of carrots and maybe an extra treat he normally doesnt get beforehand :)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hugs to you, so sorry to hear about bun bun.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a very sad situation. These decisions are the hardest we ever have to make. {{{Hugs}}}

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again to everyone. I admit this evening has been very tough. I almost wish I had done it today because I am now dreading next week. But I know giving him a last, really good week is the right thing to do. I just hope he doesn't get sicker and start to suffer. Although now that I am really paying attention he really has slowed down a lot but he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. This is the hardest part about owning a pet, especially when they are family members like all of us on this board. I'm sure you have given him a wonderful life and he loves you because of that! Thinkning of you and your sweet bunny!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am so very sorry :hugs: thinking of you and your little friend.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sending hugs for you. its never easy to lose those you love and have taken such good care of. My thoughts are with you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts