German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 month old (est.) puppy Bandit has to get bi weekly fle baths b/c the fleas are so bad in my area. Between the fleas and the bathing he itches constantly sometimes creating sores. I have purchased medicated dog shampoo at walmart for itching but it didn't help him. I have purchased shampoos that say they help moisten the skin to sooth the itching and nothing has helped him so far. It seems to help a little but not enough he is still itching. Any ideas on what works for the itching?? :confused:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You've got to get the fleas in your area under control. Bi-weekly baths in medicated shampoo aren't good for his skin (as you have seen). Are the fleas in your house or just in your yard? I would spray, fog, fumigate, get a contract with a pest-control company, or do whatever you've got to do to get the fleas out of the environment. If it's so bad that your dog has to get baths every other week, chances are the fleas are on you and your kids (if you have them) as well.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You need to get a flea preventive and put it on him like Frontline or Advantage something like that. You are not suppose to bathe GS as much as you are because it strips the natural oils that their coats need. They should not be bathed more than once a month. You need to rid the fleas another way besides bathing. Topicals work great. Another reason for frequent itching is their diet. You need good food because there is a lot of allergens in supermarket foods that could be adding to the itching problems.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Get real flea treatment not Hartz brand from the store....that stuff kills, then bomb your house, and stop the bathing:)

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I would supplement with salmon oil, vitamin E, and C to help the skin condition and C will support the immune system along with being a natural anti-histimine. If he continues to scratch, benedryl is an option.
I wouldn't mix flea products, some are not compatable, be sure to research what you are using.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dakota used to scratch all the time and it drove me insane. Come to find out, she's allergic to fleas. She was on Revolution, but our vet switched her to Comfortis and she's much, much better now.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Some of the topical flea treatments require the flea to actually bite your dog before the pesticide will harm the flea. The dog will then have a reaction to the bite from the flea saliva. Then the itching will start. Use a topical treatment on your dog, one you can get from your vet. Bomb your house, wash all dog bedding. Start giving your dog supplements, as mentioned salmon oil, vit e and c. I like to use Show stopper from K9 Power Products. They also carry Salmon oil with vitamin e already added. My dog gets the itchies in the winter with our wood stove going so she gets supplements to help with the dryness. If you are not already feeding a premium dog food (or raw diet), you may want to look into what you can feed that is better and affordable for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts