German Shepherds Forum banner

My GSD protecting the neighbor girls?

970 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  KodiakCasper 
#1 ·
<span style="color: #6666CC">Ok, So I have had Kody since he was 9 weeks old. He follows commands from me and me only VERY well. He's 4 yrs old now and to this day it's still "just me and him" because my husband is incarcerated. Kody's personality is goofy and fun loving by nature. I have never seen a mean bone in his body. He's never tried to protect me, he barks pretty aggressive if I'm in the house and someone knocks but once I open the door he's ready to hand off his toys for who ever is there to throw them for him.

However! Lately, if an adult male approaches the neighbor girls, Kody stops whatever he's doing and growls/barks very nasty until they run away in fear. LUCKILY, Kody is following with one command from me to back down when I say everything is fine.

How come he's protecting the neighbor girls, but he NEVER displays that type of behavior over me? </span>

#3 ·
Originally Posted By: DSuddCould be because he knows you are pack leader and he sees the girls below him, and in his mind it is his job to protect the pack?
yup I agree!!!
I am sure if someone would dare approach you Kody would protect you!!
Brady is the same way if someone approachs my friends Daughter watch out.

#4 ·
Originally Posted By: Kody<span style="color: #6666CC"> ...
How come he's protecting the neighbor girls, but he NEVER displays that type of behavior over me? </span>
This happened to me in reverse. My neighbor's late Dobe, Avery, watched over me and the Hooligans 24/7 for her entire life. She ignored all who entered/left her own yard.

She sat by our common fence and kept guard. Whenever she accidently got loose she'd come over here. If my gate was open, she'd come in, grab a toy, and go home to sit and watch some more.

Once she really scared the stuffings out of me. I had to have a tow truck come over to start my van and when the driver handed me the paperwork to sign, his hand accidently touched mine. When it happened, Avery went ballistic, she almost came over the fence to get him, it scared me to death that she might succeed (she was old and fat by then).

It's funny, when she went to the Bridge I still had 7 GSDs, yet I didn't feel as secure as I did while she was alive.

#5 ·
In a pack society, it is always the responsibility of the highest ranking (and thus strongest) members to protect the weakest.

Kody doesn't show protectiveness of you because 1) you're pack leader, and thus strongest and 2) chances are there has never been a situation where he felt you needed it and couldn't handle yourself.

Children are naturally weaker and lower ranking, and he knows that. Therefore, following pack law, it is his responsibility to protect them.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advise guys! I was a little jealous because I'm like "HEY I FEED YOU DANGIT!! Show that kind of excitement over me!" But you are right, I made sure for his birth up, that he understood, *I* can take care of EVERYTHING. *I* make all of *OUR* decisions. I've been blessed because Kody is so respectful and obedient to the voice commands I give him. I have only had to spank him with a news paper three times in his entire life. The sound of my voice being disappointed in him breaks his ever lovin' heart that he listens very well. I should be more confident... All of the neighbors are jealous at how well behaved Kody is and how good he listens.... The GSD breed is naturally an intelligent dog... I think I just got darn lucky!
But regardless, I LOVE MY BABY BOY! He's definitely irreplaceable in my heart. Thanks for the advise everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.