German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, first-time poster but I have been on this forum before I got my GSD, so much valuable and priceless information.

So here's the story. My girlfriend worked at a dog daycare here in Toronto and we were talking about getting a dog, I was adamant about getting a German Shepherd as I've had them in the past and they are by far the best overall dog in my opinion. Anyway, there was a posting of a 7month old Black German Shepherd that the owners were in over their head and he needed a new home. I went to check him out and ended up taking him home. He came with all his papers along with all orthopedic certificates (OFA) showing his parents and grandparents had no signs of hip or elbow dysplasia. I figured if the dog is coming with these documents it must mean that he is from a pretty good bloodline. I contacted the breeder and she sent me over the Sire's pedigree info.

I was hoping some of the members here can overview the pedigree reports and let me know some more information on him and your honest thoughts. I have attached what she sent me and also the names.

-Cert Kolovecskeho Mlyna
-Ibon Jippo-me

Here is Coal at 9 months.
Dog Wheel Tire Car Vehicle
Dog Light Carnivore Organism Dog breed

·
Registered
434 Posts
Missing a big piece of the puzzle here - the dam. Ibon and Cert are both studs. Which one of the two is papa? There are many happy Wendelin owners on the forum here; and the breeder will be your best resource to answer questions.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
This is Jinopo’s description of Ibon.
“IBON is large according to the standard with tons of energy. He is willing to do any work with his handler. IBON is a dog with clear head but at the same time with very high prey and defence drives. These two drives are 50/50 mutually balanced. IBON has also great social behavior.
From his father he inherited on/off effect and therefore he's able to rest and get activated for the top performance immediately.
From his mother's side ancestors he inherited the ability of concentrated focus while tracking. From DARGO Ha-Ja-Da he inherited absolutely fast, strong and exact protection including final guarding.

We still continue the training of IBON and we plan to compete with him on National level.

IBOn can be used everywhere where there is a need to improve working drives of the progeny, to improve energy level and hardness necessary for protection. He is also suitable to be used everywhere where there is need to improve the color of the pigmentation and overall health.”

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,173 Posts
Ibon is linebred on Cordon An-Sat, a dog that is DEFINITELY not for beginners!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the pedigrees of these dogs. The owner just got more than they bargained for in terms of energy level and drive. I'm guessing they were looking for something that was more of a couch potato.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The dog looks happy and healthy and those are the most important things. German Shepherds need exercise to stay physically and mentally fit, so if he gets lots of training in addition to the exercise, you are good to go.

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
The screenshot is from Wendelin website, does not mean she was the breeder. Perhaps it was one of her males that was studded out…

If OP has all of his paperwork, incl OFA - seems they’d have the parents names anyhow.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cute pup! If it is a Wendelin, I wonder why the original owners didn’t contact her to rehome? Maybe it’s not a Wendelin pup but her stud as suggested by others. Be interesting to find out the entire pedigree so the new owners know what they have on their hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the responses and info. He is definitely a smart and good dog. Does very well around people but not so hot around other dogs. He will be starting training in a couple weeks as he had a very bad case of growing pains (panoseits SP?) and was limping for almost 5 weeks, we had him x-rayd and checked for lyme. happy to say he's better now. He's definitely a handful and I can see why the previous owners couldn't handle him.

I believe the sires were the grandparents if I'm not mistaken. If he does well with his training I may look to something more advanced as it would be a shame to not use him for his full potential.

I'm definitely not a beginner, I have had two previous german shepherds. We are a dog family and have had all sorts of breeds from Cane Corso to Dalmatians.

Again, you guys are all so awesome and informative and this is the first place I always go for answers and ideas.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
‘it would be a shame to not use him for his full potential’ - My dog’s full potential would be jumping out of helicopters and biting bad guys. Not going to happen and I’m not ashamed of squashing his full potential!

On a serious note, incorporate the dog into your life and not vise versa, everyone will be very happy. I do believe that a known pedigree gives a good insight into a dog’s temperament and health. You have the names of the parents in the paperwork, use this in this section for gathering info, knowledgeable breeders opinion, members with related dogs experiences. I have a young dog with a lot of old Czech blood in him, it’s an experience and understanding the lines helps me a lot.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,747 Posts
‘it would be a shame to not use him for his full potential’ - My dog’s full potential would be jumping out of helicopters and biting bad guys. Not going to happen and I’m not ashamed of squashing his full potential!

On a serious note, incorporate the dog into your life and not vise versa, everyone will be very happy. I do believe that a known pedigree gives a good insight into a dog’s temperament and health. You have the names of the parents in the paperwork, use this in this section for gathering info, knowledgeable breeders opinion, members with related dogs experiences. I have a young dog with a lot of old Czech blood in him, it’s an experience and understanding the lines helps me a lot.
This ^^^^^
I’ve often thought of what Gus could have done as a Police K9, PP or just been in very experienced hands and if his being MY dog was almost selfish of me. I’ve gotten over it and continue to be thankful he is with me.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
This ^^^^^
I’ve often thought of what Gus could have done as a Police K9, PP or just been in very experienced hands and if his being MY dog was almost selfish of me. I’ve gotten over it and continue to be thankful he is with me.
Bud should have been a super star. Would have been incredible at LE or as a PPD. I'm not educated enough to speak to his potential for military use. Sadly he was stuck with me as an owner. It's all good, I loved him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts