German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Duke came from the shelter with some matts, so assume they worked out a lot of them before putting him up for adoption. I couldn't get near him with scissors but he likes to be brushed in general so I just worked at them a little at a time. You might try a detangler for children's hair or a conditioner to loosen them. A quick google search turned up several products to detangle dogs, you might try to find something like that.

DSCN1157.JPG

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My dog is around 5years old, should we shave them again if they get the patchy coat? Is patchy coat bad for dogs health or it is just bad look of the dog ? If it is just looks I don't mind my dog looking funny I love him anyways. If it is health hazard I need to think twice to get to the conclusion
No do NOT shave him again. And if you can get away with shaving ONLY the areas that are matted, that's preferable to shaving the whole dog.

The top coat of a double coated dog is somewhat waterproof, and protects the dog from the weather. Having the undercoat on the surface means the coat is no longer weatherproof. The top coat also helps protect the dog from the sun. The skin temperature of a dog with an intact coat will be cooler in hot weather than the temperature of one that's been shaved.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
As a youngster, due to a suspected tick, Nitro got an all over shave at the vet. To prevent sunburn, he wore a tshirt when outdoors until he had enough coat growth for sun protection. His coat grew back with no problems.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
He was about 2 years old when shaved. I live in Queensland, Australia, a subtropical climate. Cold wasn't a problem, potential sunburn was. I was careful to keep him indoors as much as practical, and he wore an old tshirt until his coat gave him sun protection. Here's the growth progression.

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
He was about 2 years old when shaved. I live in Queensland, Australia, a subtropical climate. Cold wasn't a problem, potential sunburn was. I was careful to keep him indoors as much as practical, and he wore an old tshirt until his coat gave him sun protection. Here's the growth progression. View attachment 564541 View attachment 564542 View attachment 564543
Thanks for insight Dunkirk,
I think probably takes around 6 - to 9 months for fur coat to look normal. Nitro is looking handsome though 😊

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Thanks, he's very mature now, lots of grey.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Honestly, there ARE times when there's no way you can get around having to shave the coat. Here's an example of how bad it can get if 'doodles' aren't groomed regularly!

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
He was about 2 years old when shaved. I live in Queensland, Australia, a subtropical climate. Cold wasn't a problem, potential sunburn was. I was careful to keep him indoors as much as practical, and he wore an old tshirt until his coat gave him sun protection. Here's the growth progression. View attachment 564541 View attachment 564542 View attachment 564543
it’s like having sable puppy phases all over again.
but i have to ask.... suspicion of a single tick warranted all that??

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yep. He couldn't move his hind legs that morning. In Australia a tick will kill a dog.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
A paralysis tick is life threatening

·
Registered
609 Posts
We don't have many ticks here in Central Florida BUT years ago my collie got tick parylsis from a single small tick stuck on her back. It affects their spinal chord within hours of attaching. It's a serious emergency.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We have only had ticks here in Ontario Canada for the last ~5 years after they crossed from NY/OH.
My nephew just this side of the border has them bad now and we (hour away) saw our first ones a few years ago and one on the dogs 3X this year. Hate those things but they are not dangerous here for the most part, very few carry Lyme disease (American Dog Tick) vs those that do (Black Legged/Deer Tick).

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'm too lazy to go over this entire thread - but with coaties (and my friend's neglected Kesshund with matts)
1. corn starch. Rub it in down to the skin. Be liberal with it.
2. matt splitter.
2a. scissors to carefully cut out the worst ones that #2 doesn't handle well
3. undercoat rake
4. general combout
5. slicker brush
6. y'all done.
7. try not to let it happen again but sometimes those ear puffs get away from us.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
OK, jst scrolled through most of this..... and I'm going to yell: CORN STARCH! just use CORN STARCH to loosen the fur and then go to the matt splitter.

How to keep it from happening again.... corn starch and daily, yes damnit daily, grooming - especially in trouble spots. Don't let those ear fluffs get away from you. Corn starch. Corn starch.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I sort of want to know what goes wrong to get a dog that badly matted.
I have had several rescues that had to be shaved because of matting, but unclear how a loved pet gets that out of hand.
Also I hate grooming. But Shelties, SCWTs , a Yorkie, a lh Malamute and no matting beyond the occasional ear one.

Do you just not notice?

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Coming from a groomer’s prospective, most people don’t know how to brush a dog down to the skin. They mostly brush the top part.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Coming from a groomer’s prospective, most people don’t know how to brush a dog down to the skin. They mostly brush the top part.
Well, I suppose I should be grateful that it keeps you working. But it still puzzles me.
People, brush your dogs!

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Well, I suppose I should be grateful that it keeps you working. But it still puzzles me.
People, brush your dogs!
I groom several dogs a day, and maybe one person out of 30 will brush their dog. Maybe. That’s being generous. When we came back from being off work for the quarantine, I was shaving dogs that had never been shaved, because people don’t brush.

I did have one customer (with 2 Havanese) that asked me how to keep them from matting while the shop was closed. I sent her links to a brush, comb and brushing spray. And a link to a YouTube video on how to line brush a dog. When the shop opened back up, she did NOT have to have her dog shaved. Good job!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts