German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I am new over here. I have a 5yr old double coat GSD whose hair is matted severely. It is very hard to brush it out as it hurts the dog. I brought the dog hair trimmer and tried to trim it with the highest clip as possible, but the trimmer gets struck at the matted parts. I am planning to shave it because it is getting very hard to groom him & facing other problems associated with it. When I researched online they say it is a strict NO-NO! to shave the GSD, shaving can lead to health issues/skin issues, etc. I am now confused whether to shave my GSD or not!. It would be really helpful any of the owners here would shed some light on it like did the hair grow normally after shaving? did the dog face any kind of health/skin issue due to shaving? etc.
ps: We have harsh summers which sometimes can goto up to 33*C-42*C, moderate/low rainy & winter seasons.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Do you have a groomer that you can go to?

You will get more responses soon. Most of the members are located in the US and our day is just starting. It was very early in the morning here when you posted.

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops my Bad David, Forgot about the timezones, We don't have professional groomers over here & due to covid, the one who is like 200miles away are also closed. I tried brushing him but it is very painful for him & the trimmer with Clip attached struck between the matting aswell.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I know how painful mats can be. Not a dog but Our 20 yr old cat became very matted. We didn’t want to put her through a shave trauma so I took a very small scissors and started clipping each one off separately. At first she didn’t like it be once she realized the relief it gave she just layed still. It took a couple days to get it all but in the long run it was worth it.

Also, I know how this portrays her care but honestly, she is cared for and never again do I ignore her need for brushing.

Try starting with a smaller Matt. Clip it in short clips nearer to the skin but carefully. I found that once part of the mat was released, the rest came off a little bit easier.

I think it would be worth a try just for the sake of saving as much nontangled fur as possible.

There is also detangler that you might be able to get but I don’t know how well they work. Also, while waiting for other responses, you can use the search function at the top to view past threads about it.

Reactions: saintbob

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
That guard over your clipper blade will not go through a matted coat. It has to be brushed out, tangle free, for it to go through the coat.

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I know how painful mats can be. Not a dog but Our 20 yr old cat became very matted. We didn’t want to put her through a shave trauma so I took a very small scissors and started clipping each one off separately. At first she didn’t like it be once she realized the relief it gave she just layed still. It took a couple days to get it all but in the long run it was worth it.

Also, I know how this portrays her care but honestly, she is cared for and never again do I ignore her need for brushing.

Try starting with a smaller Matt. Clip it in short clips nearer to the skin but carefully. I found that once part of the mat was released, the rest came off a little bit easier.

I think it would be worth a try just for the sake of saving as much nontangled fur as possible.

There is also detangler that you might be able to get but I don’t know how well they work. Also, while waiting for other responses, you can use the search function at the top to view past threads about it.
Thanks for the response,
I have went over all the discussions over this on this website about 3 to 4hrs but none of them answered my questions clearly., Researched on Internet but all in vain, I thought it is better to get the opinion of the guys who has done the shaving before due to Matting or solved this issue all together without the shaving trauma

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
Heartandsoul has good advice. Also brushing along with a grooming spray or detangler/conditioner is easier than brushing a dry coat.

Reactions: Mike_E38654

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That guard over your clipper blade will not go through a matted coat. It has to be brushed out, tangle free, for it to go through the coat.
To actually detangle we have to dematt him, but demat him it pull the hair off of his skin & it breaks my heart when he undergoes the pain

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
To actually detangle we have to dematt him, but demat him it pull the hair off of his skin & it breaks my heart when he undergoes the pain
Can you just take your clippers, without the guard, and cut out the mats, or is the dog too matted all over?

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you just take your clippers, without the guard, and cut out the mats, or is the dog too matted all over?
The dog is heavily matted near thighs, neck & belly. Cutting then through clippers just stops clipper all together.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If it’s that bad, I would work on the neck area first. The neck area is less sensative and will help him get accustomed to what you are doing. I would use fingers and scissors first. Sometimes if you can take hold of a mat without pulling and just cut the top half, you can partially detangle the rest with your fingers.

Also I’m not a groomer but dogfaeries is ;)

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it’s that bad, I would work on the neck area first. The neck area is less sensative and will help him get accustomed to what you are doing. I would use fingers and scissors first. Sometimes if you can take hold of a mat without pulling and just cut the top half, you can partially detangle the rest with your fingers.

Also I’m not a groomer but dogfaeries is ;)
👍 Will try this.

@dogfaeries need your opinion. Is it bad to shave GSD with these matted conditions? If it is bad I would be really grateful if any tips are shared on how to deal with this easily.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
2 second Google search

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 second Google search

@WNGD , Thanks for the response,
Yes I have read them & even watched some of the YouTube videos. I do know that Shaving is bad, I am not prepping him for Summer nor Want to get rid of them because of shedding, My question is, Is shaving the GSD good if he has huge Matting problematic which left untreated can lead to skin diseases in future, wanted to get opinion of guys who went through this issue and resolved them without hurdles on their way

·
Super Moderator
6,694 Posts
I dematted a relative's double coated long haired collie.His entire chest,belly,and thighs were matted badly. Just like Heartandsoul said I used scissors very very carefully to cut off the matts, sometimes the ones next to the skin I could only cut in half. The next day I used a comb and detangler for human hair. He looked pretty strange until he went through a shedding cycle,but his fur did all grow back. And she made darn sure to brush him underneath every day from then on instead of just the top half.

Another idea is for a vet to sedate him and shave him like they would if he needed surgery.

·
Registered
LUCKY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dematted a relative's double coated long haired collie.His entire chest,belly,and thighs were matted badly. Just like Heartandsoul said I used scissors very very carefully to cut off the matts, sometimes the ones next to the skin I could only cut in half. The next day I used a comb and detangler for human hair. He looked pretty strange until he went through a shedding cycle,but his fur did all grow back. And she made darn sure to brush him underneath every day from then on instead of just the top half.

Another idea is for a vet to sedate him and shave him like they would if he needed surgery.
@Dogma, Shaving is okay for GSD? Will this have some adverse effects on dog's health?
How he appeals to the human eye is the least I care about, I want him to be Happy, if shaving is less painfull for him & doesot affected his health as discussed over here on forum, I would prefer shaving,
Else I would go try deshedding, if the answer is deshedding then any pro tips on how to keep this easy for the dog & myself as well.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a Persian cat that occasionally will mat up her belly when she grooms. I use a letter opener to remove the mats. Seriously. They have a plastic guide that I can slip next to her skin and it protects her completely from the razor that I then use to remove the mat. They're great. Letter Opener

1 - 20 of 70 Posts