German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

· Banned
5,920 Posts
NO they cant , in VT ONLY Vermont law enforcement officers are authorized to shoot a dog chasing a deer in deep snow. youve taken that law completely out of context. not trying to start a beef but look into it im 100% sure the circumstances have to be met before a law enforcement official can shoot a dog. ive actually asked many game wardens about this
Hey, Matty, wanna bet that in most states a dog caught chasing a deer (esp. in winter which can kill a deer even they are not caught) will have a high probability of being shot if someone sees them.

Not a good thing for a dog to do!

I don't know of anyone who is in the woods with a gun and sees a dog chasing a deer who wouldn't at the very least be tempted to take a shot!

· Registered
14 Posts
Thread Necromancy

....How many times is this post going to keep coming up? It was originally made in 2010. Then got bumped up again in 2011. Here we are in 2012 with it bumped AGAIN. I'd understand if it was an important and informational thread but it's really not. :thinking:
Was reading through looking for specific topics and saw this gem Since its been resurrected twice I thought it was a shame not to bring it around again this fall too

· Registered
1,157 Posts
The woods here are infested with deer, I don think any hunter would take aim at any animal they arent hunting for unless its for food. A hunter who protects a deer by shooting a dog deserves death. You must hang with a rough crowd cod itf they kill a dog for chasing deer, and its good we live in different states so they dont get shot by me for killing my dog. because I dont know a hunter here who wouldnt kill a man for killing his dog while chasing a deer.

· Registered
862 Posts
I can't believe it!!! 17 pages of debate over whether it is ok for your dog to eat something it has killed?

Dogs are predators----and predators kill things and eat them. That is their trip to the grocery store.

For pete's sake folks----the fact that dogs kill things and eat them is a major reason we have dog breeds today. All of the terrier breeds are based on the dog's hunting and killing abilities----terriers hunt and kill primarily what humans want hunted and killed. Most other breeds like hunting or working breeds, use at some portion of the hunting/killing instinct.

· Registered
311 Posts
Having had 2 Blue Heelers over the past 20 years, living on a farm, I can't help but laugh. My friend from Long Island still tells the story of the first time she visited the farm and found a jawbone in the driveway and other body parts in the yard. Then of course hearing me call an 800lb bull and have it run through the yard and onto the porch to greet us :D

We were always happy to find the dead groundhogs...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

· Registered
13,904 Posts
enjoy the squirrel ----
there are lots of people who eat squirrel , background noise while doing reading , daytime TV talk show . Guests were the crew from "Duck Dynasty" who brought local delicacies for the host to enjoy. One of them was a squirrel stew . The host being an adventurous sort , took a portion , tasted it with some hesitation, rolled the eyes with a yum and then chowed down . looked for it - Dr Oz was the show
"
Dr Oz: Is Squirrel Meat Good for You?

Dr. Oz turned his attention to what the Robertson family eats in order to stay healthy. They all love Miss K’s cooking, who says the key to a Robertson man’s heart is through his stomach. Much of what she cooks for her family is wild game, like squirrel, which Dr. Oz says is quite healthy to eat since it is such a lean meat and low in saturated fat. Jase Robertson says his favorite food is actually frog legs, referring to it as the “only white meat”, and telling Dr. Oz he has loved it since he was a little boy."

actually if you look at a typical menu from the days of medieval England the range of meat was much much wider than our limited beef , pork, poultry.
I remember having to do an assignment in school on this very thing . Middle Ages Food - Meat

Squirrel anyone ? I am sure there are Duck Dynasty recipes .

· Registered
1 Posts
I would mostly be worried about internal parasites, specifically worms, when it comes to our animals killing outside critters such as bunnies and squirrels. I live in an area where hookworm is a huge problem, so I have a fecal float done every time we go in for a vet checkup and worm when/if needed.

I am not so much worried about my cats because they operate a great catch-and-release program with the field mice that like coming into our house around this time of year, but I do worry about the dog who is the most likely to kill something. I do, however, hunt rabbit to feed the dog, and I freeze those for at least three weeks before feeding them to make sure parasites they might be carrying are dead.
Even with freezing the rabbit first, I hope you are cooking it before giving it to your dog.
I learned a lot about parasites and freezing wild game & fish from doing my own smoked jerkeys & smoked fish.
When I started out, full knowing there might be food safety issues if not done right, and not properly researched, I spent considerable amount of time making sure I was doing things properly to avoid getting myself, friends or family sick or infected with parasites. Here is a bit of information I learned. This topic also comes into play with sushi, noting almost ALL fish have parasitic worms.

Sushi Grade fish is frozen before shipping to Sushi restaurants in a special commercial grade freezer that gets WAAAAY Colder than a residential freezer does.

Trichinella parasites in wild-animal meat are not killed by freezing, even over a long period.

Freezing wild animal meats may not effectively kill all worms because some worm species that infect wild animals are freeze-resistant.

A temperature of -31 F (-35C) is required to kill tapeworm eggs and larvae, as well as other parasitic worms.
Home freezing cannot be relied upon to destroy these.

Hence, it is not safe to feed your dog raw rabbit or any raw meat that has been in your home freezer, even for 3 weeks. Not even for 3 years.
If you want to feed it to your dog, proper COOKING Temperature, not Freezing temperature is the real key to safely avoid parasite infestations.

· Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,483 Posts
This is a very old thread, the last reply was more than 7 years ago, and most of the people replying are no longer active.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.