German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,732 Posts
If your dog or cat has eaten a wild animal, you can safely assume he has also eaten the internal parasites that are in that animal. I prefer not to medicate my animals constantly, and also prefer not to pay for fecal exams on a monthly basis. So no bunnies, mice or squirrels allowed for my dogs.

I did let Rosa carry home a very recently deceased chipmunk (road kill) one time, but she had to leave it outside when we got home. It magically disappeared by the time she came back out. :)

· Registered
4,732 Posts
I'm not a fan of outdoor mice either. They ate a bunch of wires in my truck that cost a fortune to fix.

· Registered
4,732 Posts
Codmaster you have a point there. I don't think it's unreasonable to think you can train your dog to not chase small animals. Is it easy? Absolutely not. Is it worth the effort? Debatable.

Off topic, and I apologize for that, I do think it is much, much more difficult (I'll say it - impossible) to expect to train an outdoor cat to not chase and kill small animals. So I don't think cats should be used as any kind of example here.

· Registered
4,732 Posts
Codmaster, I agree that it is a shame what the outdoor cat population does to the songbirds and other threatened species. National Geographic did an article on that subject a while back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.