German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! I’m new here.. I rescued a male German Shepherd a few months back when he 4 months old. Fast forward and he is now 9 months old. He was fine at first, and then a month in he started having diarrhea and I thought it was the change in food and new Home. I let it go for a few weeks thinking it will change, and one morning I woke up to him diarrhea in his crate in the middle of the night. By this point I was over it, and decided to take him in. Come to find out he tested Positive for Giardia. We went through the antibiotics and he was good for about a month and then again, diarrhea. Test again, it came back positive for Giardia AGIAN! It’s frustrating.. now he has finished the antibiotics, ans and he still has diarrhea. I haven’t taken him back to the vet since it’s only been a few days, but I need help in this area! A person I know feeds raw diet, and said she had a GSD That had a Sensitive tummy, and when she made the switch hers was immediately better. Has anyone else had these issue? Anyone else have suggestions!? He is 9 months and roughly 60 pounds

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
a raw diet will not cure giardia. Do you clean up after him when he poops? Is he reinfecting himself by getting it on his feet and licking his feet? Drinking contaminated water?

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
Deja was cured instantly with a combination of Koccifree and Bowel Pathogen Nosode, from Amazon. Hasn't come back. The regular meds from the vet didn't work (Panancur)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been bleaching his outdoor kennel when he poops in there. As far as outdoors, he ans the other dogs I have poop all over. I didn’t think about switching out his water bowl and completely disinfecting it or getting another one. I will have to look in amazon for the recommendation. This was his 2nd treatment of panache ?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Also, is he drinking from puddles, streams, lakes when you are out and about?
Don't let him, bring your own water and folding bowl!

It could also be that the first round of antibiotics didn't totally work...maybe there were a few survivors and the bacteria was able to grow back...
bacteria is getting more resistant to usual meds these days (yes, scary.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! When we go out on walks(which I haven’t since he has been on his medication), he loves to sniff around and scrounge whatever is laying around. I think I’m going to try the cocci free from amazon.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
Walks are for walking.
I do not let my dog eat anything off the ground, and he only gets to sniff when I say so, most of the time that is when we get back to our property.

Giardia is a parasite, not a bacteria, but a protozoan. If thorough disinfection isn’t performed, it can return. The oocysts can even survive on the fur, which is why it’s a good idea to give dogs a bath after treatment is finished. Disinfecting the lawn is very difficult. There is a lot of information online about it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I had a recent foster explode Giardia in my house. In addition to reasonable crating when I could not watch her closely, I gave her a course of panacur and metronidinzol. Panacur often cures it, but metro definitely calms the poops quickly. I had waited a few days before double dosing her with the merto, wish I hadn't. I used F10 veterinarian grade disinfectant to immediately clean where she had accidents in the house or crate (even at 2am). I was always outside with her when she was outside so I could clean her poop spots right away. I dumped Miltons on her poop spots after cleaning it up to make sure..Miltons is banned in the USA but apparently fine for pacificers in the UK. It kills everything, and may be from outerspace.

She was adopted like 3 weeks ago and my own dogs have not caught Giardia. So there you go. I seem fine too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts