German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless it lasts more than a few days.

Except what's "the empty stomach barf"? The only thing that makes my dog gag is eating grass.
Seems like something pretty common (or so I've read)... it's like she gets nauseous and tries to make herself barf when she hasn't eaten in a while. Happens sometimes in the mornings before breakfast, sometimes during our afternoon walk before she eats dinner. I think there are theories out there that it's like...too much bile that needs to be expelled, or something.

Willow always eats grass anyway, regardless of how hungry she is, but yeah a couple mornings ago she didn't want her breakfast, I put her outside to pee/poop, she immediately ate some grass and then barfed the bile. Generally I'd say she only does it a couple times a month. But yeah, it's weird.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try a different flavor. I feed Orijen and the red blend my dog eats up plain but the other flavors he’s picky about. If I have too I mix in ground meat, whatever is cheapest. I usually have ground venison tho bc I’m a hunter

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems like something pretty common (or so I've read)... it's like she gets nauseous and tries to make herself barf when she hasn't eaten in a while. Happens sometimes in the mornings before breakfast, sometimes during our afternoon walk before she eats dinner. I think there are theories out there that it's like...too much bile that needs to be expelled, or something.

Willow always eats grass anyway, regardless of how hungry she is, but yeah a couple mornings ago she didn't want her breakfast, I put her outside to pee/poop, she immediately ate some grass and then barfed the bile. Generally I'd say she only does it a couple times a month. But yeah, it's weird.
OK I have never heard nor have I had a GSD that dry barfed ever, certainly not regularly. Grass eating always produces bile barf and then they're happy as anything

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Some dogs get "empty tummy pukes", I have one. Yellow bile if her stomach gets empty for too long. It must be common enough because when I tell vets I cannot fast her the routine response is "oh she's one of the pukey ones"

BUT, I have had fewer issues with it since I got her off the potato kibble. Apparently potatoes can cause gut inflammation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some dogs get "empty tummy pukes", I have one. Yellow bile if her stomach gets empty for too long. It must be common enough because when I tell vets I cannot fast her the routine response is "oh she's one of the pukey ones"

BUT, I have had fewer issues with it since I got her off the potato kibble. Apparently potatoes can cause gut inflammation.
Yep, my girl had the same thing. She seems okay now that she's bigger and eating more, but there was a while where, night after night, the bile puke was there between 1-2am. I started feeding her a half cup of kibble a little before bedtime, and that took care of the issue.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts