German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a six-year-old GSD. About a month ago, he started limping on his left leg when he first tried to walk upon standing. He has significantly decreased energy in the last several days and now has not eaten since lunch time yesterday. We are giving him glucosamine chews presumably for arthritis, but I don't understand why he has stopped eating. He always had a healthy appetite before and was even a little overweight until we put him on a weight management food in January. He just wants to sleep all the time. I hate to see my baby like this...what could it be?

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
What was the outcome of his limp a month ago?

The lack of appetite could be from pain, from an underlying condition, or completely coincidence / unrelated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vet said it's probably arthritis. He recommended the glucosamine chews, but they don't seem to be helping much.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Were x rays or bloodwork performed?
If not, I think it’s time to move on to the next level of diagnostics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but I agree that we need to do something. Our state is on lock-down, so I was waiting until that was over.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Yeah, this whole Lockdown thing EVERYWHERE is making real life difficult!

I'm surprised that a Vet would recommend glucosamine chews, because while they are highly recommended by the manufacturers, there really is no solid evidence of a benefit, even long term. And they surely won't do anything at all short term for his discomfort!

Try CBD if you can get that shipped to you. Others have said it helps with arthritis inflammation. Personally, I haven't tried it for that...but it is at least, supposed to offer some relief, and should be available without leaving home!

Good luck, and stay well!

·
Registered
49 Posts
We had a girl with a healthy appetite who started demanding a little canned food mixed with her dry at about the same age. I know that switching up foods can be risky, and GSDs can have nervous stomachs, but we found a little wet food mixed in and slightly reduced portions of dry got her eating again. She tolerated the mix well, and came to expect it. I think they can get tired of the same old stuff.

BUT, if switching up or sweetening the food offering a bit did not change anything, then if it was me, I'd look into whether the vet would allow you to drop him off, and pick him up, for some further examination and maybe tests. Vets are deemed an essential occupation under our state's shelter in place order, and hence exempt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Or this-- get some sirloin from the grocer. Either ground or cube it up so he doesn't gulp it down too fast. If he doesn't eat that, then I'd say he's off his feed and needs more testing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts