German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is going to the bathroom in her kennel like 3-4 times a day. i take her out side regularly and she goes out there too. She was able to hold it until i came home at lunch to let her out and through the night but now she cant for like 2 hours. I know its not cause we switched her food cause they have been on the same food for a long time and she was ok. She did have worms about 2weeks ago and i got her treated and thought that was the issue the first time. ive tried adding pumpkin to her food and still nothing. Can someone please help!!!

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
How old is she? 5 months? How long has this been going on? I would take her back to the vet, recheck a fecal and go from there.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
It could be many things. Since she is still a baby, I would get her in as soon as possible before she dehydrates.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree...take her to the vet to rule out anything else is going on.

Not only could it be IBS but she could have a food allergy as well. Have you changed her food lately or could she have gotten into something that she shouldn't have?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We havent switched her food at all. The only thing she really gets into is the water in the hole that they dug but our male gets into it as well and he is fine. They are currentley on pedigree large breed puppy. should i switch and go to an IAMS or a more expensive brand? I give them both a ton of water since its 95 degrees daily here.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Before you switch foods, I would try to figure out what is giving her diarrhea. And the first thing would be to take her to the vet to rule out anything medically wrong. You may want to talk to your vet about probiotics for your puppy as well. I would also make sure your puppy isn't drinking that muddy water since it may have something that is also making your puppy have diarrhea. Fresh, clean water is always the best thing for them to play in. Get a little plastic swimming pool...I bet both your dogs will love it.

As for the type of food you are feeding...my theory has always been if it works for your dog, then continue to feed that. But if you are having issues - allergies, continuous diarrhea (after you rule out anything medical), unhealthy coat, etc - then I would think about changing their food. But thats my opinion.

My GSD had a lot of issues with diarrhea until she was almost 1 year old. I had taken her to the vet many times to make sure she didn't have something else wrong with her. After talking to the woman that I took Uschi to for Doggie Day Care, she mentioned that her GSD has issues similar to what I was dealing with Uschi. She told me that her dog was allergic to chicken products. So I wondered if my dog might have that. So I gradually switched her food to a salmon based one, took away all her treats that had chicken in them, including the cooked chicken I was using for her training. Within a few days of switching her to a salmon based diet, the diarrhea went away. And has not been back. I'm also a believer in not feeding a dog any food with grains/corn in it. So I have my dog on a grain-free diet.

Good luck...I know it can be frustrating when trying to figure out what is going on with your puppy. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will keep you posted on this. The vet said that shes healthy the last time we took her in. Im begining to think that its the water that there getting into. i know that alot of dogs do have chicken allergies and that could be the case here too. im going to try switching to an iams brand that she was ok with about a month ago and see if that helps. i hope that i dont have to go to that 60 dollar a bag stuff cause with two of them eating it would get expensive quick. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Try eliminating the treats and see what happens. Many of those treats give dogs the runs.
Are you feeding pig ears or bully sticks?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Remember to switch the food gradually...usually over several days so as not to cause other digestive issues.

Hope things resolve soon. :)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I will keep you posted on this. The vet said that shes healthy the last time we took her in. Im begining to think that its the water that there getting into. i know that alot of dogs do have chicken allergies and that could be the case here too. im going to try switching to an iams brand that she was ok with about a month ago and see if that helps. i hope that i dont have to go to that 60 dollar a bag stuff cause with two of them eating it would get expensive quick. Thanks for your help
The water could have reinfected her with parasites. You'll need to check your male as well. They can pass them back and forth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our GSD had issues for a while with runny stools. He did have giardia which took a while to get rid of but continued to have stool problems. I agree with others to get the stool checked out. We did switch him to Royal Canin 30 for GSD puppy. Stools are formed and he loves the taste. It is a little costly but has been the ticket for us.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
There are a lot of better foods than Iams that don't cost $60 a bag.
Since I'm not a food expert, I hope someone can recommend something better.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As long as the vet says your pup don't have any kind of parasite probiotics work great. And we used natures balance synergy for a long time cause it also has probiotics in it. As for treats we now use low cal string cheese. My GSD is allergic to too much stuff to feed store bought treats.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Taste of the Wild runs about $45/30lb bag. I go through one bag about every 3 weeks with 3 dogs. When I had the puppy on Orijen, it was too rich and she would get loosish stools with that. Bully sticks will give one of them loose stools, but not the other two. Every dog is different. Your adult is able to tolerate something your puppy is not. Contaminated water in the yard can carry coccidia or giardia. Albon can fix that, dont even need to test, just treat for it. Not a big deal. Zukes makes better treats than what you are using. Even the cheapest hot dogs are better than some of the dog treats out there.
I would reccommend not feeding the puppy any thing other than the dog food you are currently feeding. No treats, no bones, nothing. You need to get the diarrhea under control and figure out what is causing it by elimination.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I had forgotten about the string cheese as a treat. I used that as well and will still give my dog some. She loves it.

I also found a salmon treat at Costco that Uschi loves.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
i had a gsd that went through this while in his puppy stage. had all the tests that the vet could run, a few different antibiotics and the vet said, there is nothing medically wrong and we treated it as a case of "nerves". we put him on a diet of cooked lamb and rice. did this for about 5 months and he seemed to out grow the loose stools. also when he turned a year old, we also added another gsd. this also may have helped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts