German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD had surgery 2 weeks ago today after being diagnosed with GDV (we caught it immediately) and the vet also performed a gastropexy to help prevent this from happening again.

We were told he was expected to make a full recovery, however I am really struggling with what a normal recovery from GDV surgery looks like since he doesn't seem to be overly interested in eating, seems to be having nausea and last night he developed diarrhea. I've also had him to the vet since regarding vomiting which now seems to be under control via some meds that were prescribed.

I'm kind of at my wits end and have performed quite a few searches for what is considered a "normal" recovery from GDV surgery, however have found no information regarding GDV post-op expectations.

He's also been very clingy and sleeps with me every night which he NEVER did before. He does show signs of his old self, but he's definitely not himself.

I'd just like to have my dog back.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
:crying:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about that, but I'm so glad that it was caught and surgery was successful. I don't know what would be normal per se, but I'm bumping the thread in hopes others may know. I have noticed in my own experience with dogs who have undergone serious surgery, they all seem to be very calm and clingy after - lots of cuddles and demands for attention.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Our dog Beau went through the surgery three years ago--he'll be 13 next month......he was in the hospital 4 days including the surgery....I had to go see him and hand feed him some chicken I'd made before they would release him (and they wanted to see him poop)....he wouldn't eat for them at all.
We came home with a few meds ...one of which was for nausea though it was never really an issue with him....he was on a very bland diet of chicken and rice for weeks... then gradually transitioned him back to kibble/canned food......he's always been a very picky eater....we have to be "creative" to get him to eat on the best of days lol....if memory serves it was close to six weeks before i felt he was getting back to being remotely close to his "old self.-----his normal activity level and just overall "normal personality"....I never saw diarrhea but he came home w/meds for that....It's a big/invasive surgery it's gonna take a while for him to be close to normal....I wish I could tell you more.

For us since we'd lost one dog (Shane who also had DM) to the same surgery on the operating table ....we were glad Beau made it through even though full recovery took some time.....he's laying here watching me now....wondering when I'm gonna make his "special" dinner....hope I've helped a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very sorry to hear about that, but I'm so glad that it was caught and surgery was successful. I don't know what would be normal per se, but I'm bumping the thread in hopes others may know. I have noticed in my own experience with dogs who have undergone serious surgery, they all seem to be very calm and clingy after - lots of cuddles and demands for attention.
Thanks so much.

God Bless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't understand why the Vet didn't let me know this info, but thanks again for helping me understand what to expect as far as recovery.

Thanks again for your help!

God Bless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts