German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably sounds strange, but my pup doesn't make any noises (doesn't bark, howl, whine, etc.) other than grunts when laying down. She is 14 months old and it has always been this way (she did cry when she was a puppy but that's it). It's not a huge issue and she is a super loving and friendly dog. We love her anyway. I just found it strange (this is my second GSD). There are dogs all around my house and all around our backyard that bark constantly. She just perks up her ears and runs back and forth in my yard never making a sound.

I've tried everything to get her to bark or make any kind of sound really. I know some might consider this a blessing lol. I just thought it was strange. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea why she is this way? Will she grow out of it eventually or be my silent furry baby forever lol?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I would count that as a blessing. The shepherd whine is one of my least fave things about our boy. PM me, we can discuss the terms of a trade. =P

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Scarlet is a rattle mouth. Always has something to say. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it, lol. When I was out at the breeder's house visiting the puppies when they were six weeks old, Scarlet marched up to my lawn chair, sat, and gave one huge puppy woof at me. She's almost 2 now, and hasn't changed a bit. Still a loudmouth.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Mine is the same way... year and a half old and I have never heard him howl even when fire trucks drive by, he never will bark at the door or other dogs. The mail people will walk right up and knock our door, ring the bell, put the package down and he just watches silently . Our neighbors think he's the most well behaved dog and they think we trained him not the bark at the door ... LOL! I don't think he will ever make noise, it's just not his personality. Makes me a little sad though, I love it when dogs howl... and I'm a little envious of those huskies that talk lol. My husband is happy though, he hates dog barks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sheba too is very quiet indeed! She has almost never barked since she first came into our lives last October, other than only a very soft, single-syllable "woof", with just enough volume to let us know that she needs to go outdoors to do her business. She will sometimes whimper a bit though, as I suppose all dogs do. And we have never heard her growl. Or howl. Or yip. About the only real sounds Sheba will make are when she winds up for a huge yawn... which sounds remarkably similar to my own!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: GandalfTheShepherd
1 - 8 of 8 Posts