German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued our GSD about 4yrs ago and he has started getting worse and worse about his barking and other behaviors. He will not go outside in the back yard for more than 5 mins without someone outside with him. He will jump and scratch at the door and bark non stop until you let him in.

We tried to take him camping with us at an RV park and there were several other dogs of all sizes and he barked non stop at them if they got within eye site view of him. He will not listen when we tell him no. Can someone please give some advise on this.

I looked at getting him trained at Man's Best Friend but can not afford 1095.00
Ozzy can sit, roll over he will stay some times but only for about 5ft distance.

Our family has 4 people myself my husband and two children, Ozzy has to follow me every where I go from the bedroom to the bathroom, to the kitchen etc... and sometimes if I just get up he will block me where i cant go anywhere.

We need some suggestions please help

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can find a good trainer for less then that. I am assuming that is one where you would send him away and I really think you need to be a part of his training. It is so much more than just the basics and it is never to late to develop a good foundation. I would keep looking, don't give up =)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Did you have any experience or knowledge of GSD's before deciding to adopt a recue?

·
Registered
710 Posts
The following-you-around part is not going to stop. Try to enjoy it. Really, I trip over my dog on the way to the bathroom almost every day.

Regarding barking at other dogs, I found the clicker and the "Look at That (Dog)" game to work really well. And lots of praise. Start out far away so he will look at the dog, but won't bark. The more effort and time you put into this, the better it will get. A trainer will not get it done without you.

If you Google it, you will find websites and videos on how the "Look at That (Dog)" game works.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It sounds to me like a normal GSD. I recommend that you get involved in an activity that will enable to you to train and interact with your dog in a way that is stimulating for him and satisfying to you. A GSD is not a good dog for someone who wants a quiet passive pet. Most of them are very vocal and needy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Response

The 1095.00 training is where he would go for 2 weeks and then we would have 4 session after that to work with the trainer and everyone in the family. I think it is way to expensive and would hate to spend the money and it not work.

MichaelE- No we did not do any research before adopting our GSD. I can tell you it was an awesome choice as we LOVE this dog and cant stand to be away from him and want to include him in everything we do.

FlyAway- I have wondered about the clicker as a training device to consider but wanted to see if it was effective for our dog. I will look up that game and see if we can try it out with Ozzy.

Honestly, I dont mind him following me around but I am the only one in the house he does that too. I dont know if it is because I am the one who adopted him or what.

Thank you all for your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RobK

I dont mind him be vocal but would like to be able to have him listen when we tell him to stop barking.

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
The 1095.00 training is where he would go for 2 weeks and then we would have 4 session after that to work with the trainer and everyone in the family. I think it is way to expensive and would hate to spend the money and it not work.
Why don't you sign up for an obedience class that you can all take together? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where everything is more expensive, and the prices for a 6 week class here range from $120 to $200. I'll bet they're even less expensive where you are.

By training him yourself, attending weekly classes and then practicing daily between class, you'll all learn HOW to train your dog, rather than having him sent away for someone else to train for you.

One of my dogs is my little shadow (well, BIG shadow at 80 pounds!), following me around wherever I go. He doesn't block my path because I don't let him - you can claim space by walking into your dog and forcing him to yield and move out of your way. The more you do this, the more he'll get used to it, and it will no longer be an issue.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Increase his exercise. A tired dog is a good dog. He needs mental and physical stimulation. Take him for walks. Play fetch. Use your kids and play hide and seek in the house.

If you are exercising him now, increase it.

You want your dog to bark. That is his voice. He uses it to express himself. He could use it to warn you or to show you he is excited. You want to teach him when enough is enough.

Make his training fun. A game. Exciting. Rewarding. Start by rewarding when he changes his focus from the trigger (another dog) to you. So if he is barking at the neighbor's dog, and you say, "Quiet!" (in a calm voice) and he turns and looks at you...REWARD!!! In the begining use a high value treat. It can be food or a toy, what ever is his most valued reward.

Screaming the command will only excite him more. If you say it in a calm voice and he continues to bark, take a step towards him, say his name and repeat the command. The MOMENT he looks at you REWARD!!!!

Now he's barking - you give the command - he turns and looks at you (stops focusing on the trigger) it's your job to keep him focused on you. What ever you need to do. Play a game. Do the Hokey Pokey. The idea is to get him to focus on you and leave the trigger.

Does this make sense? Change will not happen over night. This behavior wasn't learned over night. You'll have to repeat again and again. Commit yourself for the long haul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts