German Shepherds Forum banner
261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
Sorry for the minor derailment. @Cyndi21 hoping things will work out for the best for your family. We'll look forward to updates.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Sorta kinda back to square one. Hubby does not want to board and train and I kind of don't blame him. I'm sort of iffy about it too. I don't want him to be away for so long and I want to play a big part in his training. So he's going to contact Larry Krohn and see if there's anyone closer to us that we can we can take him to.

·
Registered
32,201 Posts
It's been 2 weeks since the neuter, and it takes four weeks minimum to get the full benefit of the change in hormones, but have you seen any difference in him yet. Or are the episodes so few and unpredictable that you really can't tell? Serious aggression is one of the few reasons that I think board and train might make sense, because it takes half the equation out of the picture, and works with the other half to get that where we want it, then we bring in the other half of the equation and get them on board. When you use a trainer that you go to, and train your own dog, the dog often acts totally different in the training environment which leaves you trying to explain what you are seeing the majority of the time, and behaviors that you really need immediate help with, will probably only happen when your dog is at home and relaxed.

On the other hand, most rescue dogs need a good month in the new home to start feeling relaxed enough to display the behaviors that got them the boot in the first place. So, at a board and train, it may be that with the different leadership style and experience with aggressive dogs, the dog may be "fixed" by the time he is comfortable enough to start acting out, I mean, he may already get it, that there are consequences when he misbehaves, and he does not display the aggression because he knows that it won't get him what he wants. But at the end of 6 or 8 weeks, whatever the timeframe, maybe he has gotten a reset, and if you and your husband then follow through with whatever they suggest about management, leadership, and continued training, I think it is still a good option for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm beginning to this this post was planted and isn't real. That would be better than a dog owner who is lackadaisical about the dog welfare and human safety. Hope I am wrong. But, fake posts get digested by the public and add unnecessary scrutiny to this breed. We should all want to be advocates for the breed, and for human safety.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been following this thread since it was first posted, and there has been a lot of good advice on here, as always. Looking at it from my own perspective as a dog owner who has never even had one of my dogs growl at me, I would not feel safe around a dog that attacked me, bit me, whatever you like to call it, and there would be a real urgency for me to resolve this issue as soon as possible before any further incidents occur.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I'm beginning to this this post was planted and isn't real. That would be better than a dog owner who is lackadaisical about the dog welfare and human safety. Hope I am wrong. But, fakes posts get digested by the public and add unnecessary scrutiny to this breed. We should all want to be advocates for the breed, and for human safety.
Even if that is true it may help the next person looking for advice who reads it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Okay first of all to all of you this is not planted and this is not fake. I guess I don't quite understand why anyone on here would think that this is fake. Maybe I'm just not sharing enough or not being real enough, but here's the story...
My husband and I really want to get help for our dog. We don't understand what happened or why he's only biting me and no one else. I think that there is something very flawed between Blue and I, obviously. So... neither one of us is exactly sure what to do. I thought I had talked him into board and train. I keep trying to get my husband to call somebody and just talk to them. I tell him you don't have to make a commitment, but at least listen to them. This is the entire reason why I got on this discussion board because I knew that my husband would try to take control of the situation and he would try to figure out what was the best route for our dog without really knowing what to do. So I took it upon myself to join this forum. And every now and then I share information with him that I think is relevant and will get him to think and act.
Well, today I called Pak Masters and left a message on their voicemail. I also sent them an e-mail a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything back so unless somebody contacts me, I don't know what to do. But I have waited long enough for my husband to make the phone calls and make the decisions and put this plan in action. I'm just going to do it myself from now on.
I'm not trying to get anybody here involved or give me advice about our personal life. My husband is who he is, he is very headstrong, very determined, extremely intelligent, but he's also incredibly hard-headed and stubborn. He loves me and is very concerned about mine and Blue's relationship. When he is not home, Blue is either muzzled or he's locked in his crate, or he's outside. He is never around me unless I'm safe but that is not how I want to live. I keep having nightmares and I want to get this taken care of ASAP.
Thank you for all your support and concern and understanding. I really do appreciate it. And honestly, I really need it now.

·
Super Moderator
5,599 Posts
Call me. I'll PM you my number.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
It's been 2 weeks since the neuter, and it takes four weeks minimum to get the full benefit of the change in hormones, but have you seen any difference in him yet. Or are the episodes so few and unpredictable that you really can't tell? Serious aggression is one of the few reasons that I think board and train might make sense, because it takes half the equation out of the picture, and works with the other half to get that where we want it, then we bring in the other half of the equation and get them on board. When you use a trainer that you go to, and train your own dog, the dog often acts totally different in the training environment which leaves you trying to explain what you are seeing the majority of the time, and behaviors that you really need immediate help with, will probably only happen when your dog is at home and relaxed.

On the other hand, most rescue dogs need a good month in the new home to start feeling relaxed enough to display the behaviors that got them the boot in the first place. So, at a board and train, it may be that with the different leadership style and experience with aggressive dogs, the dog may be "fixed" by the time he is comfortable enough to start acting out, I mean, he may already get it, that there are consequences when he misbehaves, and he does not display the aggression because he knows that it won't get him what he wants. But at the end of 6 or 8 weeks, whatever the timeframe, maybe he has gotten a reset, and if you and your husband then follow through with whatever they suggest about management, leadership, and continued training, I think it is still a good option for you.
No I have not seen a change at all in Blue. He's pretty much the same. And yes, the episodes are unpredictable.
He's not a rescue dog.
I agree with you on the "reset", but an concerned about him being away for so long. THAT is why we need to speak to Larry Krohn or someone like him and get more information on what we need to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,599 Posts
No I have not seen a change at all in Blue. He's pretty much the same. And yes, the episodes are unpredictable.
He's not a rescue dog.
I agree with you on the "reset", but an concerned about him being away for so long. THAT is why we need to speak to Larry Krohn or someone like him and get more information on what we need to do.
I'm not going to say that I'm like Larry, but I board and train dogs in the same situations.

There are a lot of reasons to not board and train your dog. There are a lot of trainers that I wouldn't trust my dog with.

If I knew someone in your area that I trusted, I would refer you to them immediately.

This is a touchy situation because of you, not the dog. The relationship is the issue and that is a difficult thing to address. A successful trainer will have to build habits into the dog and then train you how to live with that dog. The reason I recommended the trainers I did is because they are good at both those things.

In my opinion, you can't go on for 12 years like you are living, and you can't move forward with the knowledge you have. You need help and you need help that will actually help. It's a simple thing to fix the situation but it isn't easy.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I'm not trying to get anybody here involved or give me advice about our personal life. My husband is who he is, he is very headstrong, very determined, extremely intelligent, but he's also incredibly hard-headed and stubborn. He loves me and is very concerned about mine and Blue's relationship. When he is not home, Blue is either muzzled or he's locked in his crate, or he's outside. He is never around me unless I'm safe but that is not how I want to live. I keep having nightmares and I want to get this taken care of ASAP.
Sounds like someone I know. I understand trust me. Your husband is certainly not the only stubborn man around.

In any given week we get a fake on here that posts something guaranteed to get a rise out of most of us. Don't take it personally and don't underestimate how much we do care about the outcome.
Take David up on his offer. Call him. There are few people on this planet I would trust with my dog, (and my husband isn't one of them) but I trust David and his judgement.

·
Registered
32,201 Posts
He's not a rescue dog.
I know your dog is not a rescue. But he doesn't, nor do rescue dogs. When he leaves your home for board and train, he will in fact, probably display the same kinds of behaviors that rescue or rehomed dogs display. It is a shock to their system and it will take some time for him to get comfortable with the people that will be working with him, just as a rescued or rehomed dog has to take some time to get used to their new owners. It wasn't said as a negative thing. I was maybe thinking out loud about how your dog may respond to training.

I think Dave has worked with military working dogs, and aggressive dogs, you might want to jump on his offer because he can probably give you more real help than the majority of the folks here. That isn't a dig on the people on the board, either. There are a few breeders on here that have significantly more dogs than what is ordinary, but it is possible that, like me, they haven't had serious aggressive issues in their lines. We may have a ton of experience raising puppies, but little experience dealing with aggression. And the rest of the folks, unless they are largely into rescuing, have, for the most part, had 1-4 dogs at a time, and over the course of 10-12 years, that leaves just a handful of dogs, most of which probably haven't been aggressive. And the chances of one of them having an aggressive dog that is the same type of aggression that you have with yours is slim. And of course, what worked for them and their dog, might not work for you and yours. So someone with a lot of experience with strong dogs and aggression, is what you need.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts