German Shepherds Forum banner
241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Hemopet does a full thyroid panel that you won’t get anywhere else. I had one run once. Get the blood sample early enough in the day that you can mail it the same day. Mine arrived quickly but it can take a few days. It still works. The blood must be centrifuged. Get a full blood panel if you can. Also, I would test for all parasites, tick borne diseases and heartworm while you are at it and get a full fecal sample done. Also a urinalysis to check for bacteria, kidney stones and blood in the urine. If they can, his skin should be checked for rashes or bacterial infections, as well as his ears. I would also ask them to check for anal fissures or fistulas as those can be painful and aren‘t always obvious.. It’s less expensive if you get it all done at once rather than piecemeal. It may or may not give answer to solve his behavior issues, but it doesn’t hurt to know if you can afford a full work up.

From their site
Thyroid Profile 5™ – The Most Comprehensive Canine Thyroid Test Available on the Market

The Thyroid Antibody Panel, Thyroid Profile 5, includes T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3 and TGAA. Since there is an 8% chance of having a false negative TGAA, Hemolife will perform either the T3AA or T4AA when results warrant it or in cases where T3AA or T4AA were previously done and needed for a follow-up. Each sample includes a personal interpretation from Dr. Dodds or one of our other expert veterinarians plus consultation and follow up questions if desired.

T4:FT4 Ratio (Dogs only)

The patented T4:FT4 Ratio has been added to Hemolife’s portfolio of all “green” technology and breed- and age-specific interpretive analysis, and is available on all of Hemolife’s thyroid profile laboratory results to assist veterinarians in diagnosing thyroid conditions more accurately

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Hemopet does a full thyroid panel that you won’t get anywhere else. I had one run once. Get the blood sample early enough in the day that you can mail it the same day. Mine arrived quickly but it can take a few days. It still works. The blood must be centrifuged. Get a full blood panel if you can. Also, I would test for all parasites, tick borne diseases and heartworm while you are at it and get a full fecal sample done. Also a urinalysis to check for bacteria, kidney stones and blood in the urine. If they can, his skin should be checked for rashes or bacterial infections, as well as his ears. I would also ask them to check for anal fissures or fistulas as those can be painful and aren‘t always obvious.. It’s less expensive if you get it all done at once rather than piecemeal. It may or may not give answer to solve his behavior issues, but it doesn’t hurt to know if you can afford a full work up.

From their site
Thyroid Profile 5™ – The Most Comprehensive Canine Thyroid Test Available on the Market

The Thyroid Antibody Panel, Thyroid Profile 5, includes T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3 and TGAA. Since there is an 8% chance of having a false negative TGAA, Hemolife will perform either the T3AA or T4AA when results warrant it or in cases where T3AA or T4AA were previously done and needed for a follow-up. Each sample includes a personal interpretation from Dr. Dodds or one of our other expert veterinarians plus consultation and follow up questions if desired.

T4:FT4 Ratio (Dogs only)

The patented T4:FT4 Ratio has been added to Hemolife’s portfolio of all “green” technology and breed- and age-specific interpretive analysis, and is available on all of Hemolife’s thyroid profile laboratory results to assist veterinarians in diagnosing thyroid conditions more accurately
Great info. Thank you!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just by coincidence, I ran across this Upstate Canine video. I think someone else mentioned these guys the other day, so if you don't have a trainer lined up already, or the one you do doesn't work out, maybe check Tom out.

The dog is a Boerboel with all too common issues, and the couple was being advised to euthanize by a prior trainer.
It's worth a watch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Just by coincidence, I ran across this Upstate Canine video. I think someone else mentioned these guys the other day, so if you don't have a trainer lined up already, or the one you do doesn't work out, maybe check Tom out.

The dog is a Boerboel with all too common issues, and the couple was being advised to euthanize by a prior trainer.
It's worth a watch.
I've watched several of his videos. I really like him. He's in the running. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
Baxter: Blonde GSD-pitbull mix, born May 24, 2020
4 Posts
You're absolutely correct on all counts. The aggression didn't start until he was about 1 year old. He just turned 2. He hasn't attacked our redbone in about 6 months. We feed them separately and take them outside separately. Half the time they sleep together during the day.They sleep separately at night. As far as the other dogs at my MIL's house, this was the first time he ever attacked any of them. I'm the only human he's attacked. Fortunately we had the appointment set for his neutering yesterday. Going forward we are taking all necessary precautions. He won't be around any other dogs, except the redbone from now on. The ONLY time he has ever attacked her is food related, and that situation has been fixed. I'm also taking him for aggression training. If that doesn't work, we will seriously have to consider euthanizing him. Thank you again for your advice. It is much appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. Please, PLEASE reach out to people in your community - professional behaviorist/trainers and worse case, rehoming solutions. I hope there is an agency in your area that would accept the dog as Surrendered to be rehabilitated and rehomed if you are not able to achieve a successful solution with Blue staying in your family. I just hate to see any healthy dog euthanized. There are people out there willing to have a dog that just can't be around other dogs, and willing to work with him over months to rehab.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
I hope there is an agency in your area that would accept the dog as Surrendered to be rehabilitated and rehomed if you are not able to achieve a successful solution with Blue staying in your family. I just hate to see any healthy dog euthanized. There are people out there willing to have a dog that just can't be around other dogs, and willing to work with him over months to rehab.
Sorry but I need to comment on this. A dog like this takes up a spot. Sometimes for many months. Sometimes for years. Aside from the fact that a dog like this may well regress or get a lot worse in a kennel environment, that is a spot that other companions need and won't get. So by saving one dog you potential allow others to die since the spot is filled for so long. Then there is the problem of very often dogs are on their best behavior in unfamiliar surroundings and only show negative responses when they are comfortable.
This attitude of save them all not only allows dogs to languish in shelters and rescues, it prevents turnover which is essential and it runs the risk of creating a dangerous situation when dogs are placed in homes that cannot handle them.
Shelters have a finite amount of resources, severe behavior or medical issues chew through those at an alarming rate.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts

·
Registered
Zac
167 Posts
Some great advice and input above, some of it, for me would be very hard to hear but I know it's correct all the same. Looking back the OP came across, and I can sympathise, as a little defensive but you know she's listening. Whether you realise it or not @Cyndi21 you are learning throughout all this. Keep following the advice. I wish there was a magic wand to wave and make things right. I know how your felling, I've been in a similar situation and it's devastating. Giving the dog up to me seems like it's going to be the way out, but to someone who knows how to deal with this. Then you and your hubby, when ready can start off with a dog that suits you both. It's a hard call I know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
@Cyndi21 have you found a trainer?
We have narrowed it down to two. We'll probably go with Pak Masters. We were very impressed with Larry. The decision will be made this week.
I know it may seem like we're not reacting quickly enough, but this is a difficult decision. It's expensive and we want to make sure we have the right trainer. But I guess in situations like this, you can never truly be sure. Plus, Blue was neutered just 2 weeks ago and had surgery on his elbow. He sees the vet today.
We will never rehome him no matter what. This is our problem to deal with. How could anyone ever do that with a dog that bites? The only exception I guess would be to someone who could handle him and knows what they're getting into.
We would also never give him to a shelter. That would be cruel. He would be miserable.
Our very last resort would be euthanasia.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
You can not go wrong with Larry. He's a fantastic trainer of dogs and people. I know you don't know me from Adam, but he's in my top three trainers for this kind of dog problem.

·
Registered
Zac
167 Posts
.........I know you don't know me from Adam, but he's in my top three trainers ........
Please forgive me as this is not dog related and will also mean absolutely nothing to most North Americans but that line reminded me of a quote used by a famous football (soccer) coach (BTW soccer is the wrong name, it IS football :))

When asked if he thought he was a good manager/coach José Mourinho replied "I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."

Sorry, totally unrelated.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track finding a trainer.

Please be extremely careful of any board and train person. I'd ask to personally tour their entire facility and see where the dogs are kept and see dogs in their care.

It is all too common for the dog to be crated 22-23 hours a day, and worked by force to "look right" but not actually get trained. Some are outright abusive, others neglectful. It happens all the time even with "internet celebrity" trainers. I just heard of a trainer who was stacking dogs in crates in their own filth.

There are good board and trains but BUYER BEWARE!! Please. Dogs like this can end up in far worse shape than they were. Be extremely selective.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts

Please be extremely careful of any board and train person. I'd ask to personally tour their entire facility and see where the dogs are kept and see dogs in their care.

It is all too common for the dog to be crated 22-23 hours a day, and worked by force to "look right" but not actually get trained. Some are outright abusive, others neglectful. It happens all the time even with "internet celebrity" trainers. I just heard of a trainer who was stacking dogs in crates in their own filth.

There are good board and trains but BUYER BEWARE!! Please. Dogs like this can end up in far worse shape than they were. Be extremely selective.
You can check out Larry and his program on YouTube.

Reactions: sitstay and Cyndi21

·
Registered
32,209 Posts

Through the narrative, it sounds like the OP is likely to err on the side of being too careful about where they send their dog and what is done with their dog. It sounds like they have checked this trainer out and are taking a tremendous leap to give their dog the best shot at living out his natural lifespan.

I think anyone might overlook a lot when they are desperate for anything that will help, when alternatives are running out. But I actually have hope for this dog at this point. Neutering without upping the training probably won't get you there. But it sounds like there is a plan here that might just work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·

Quoted from PakMasters website:
"I will only be accepting serious, committed owners that demand the best for their four legged family member. During your dog’s stay he or she will live as part of our family, not in a loud stressful boarding facility. He or she will be living at our home interacting with my family and my dogs on a daily basis. Your dog will be treated as if it were my own, and as most know that’s very good."

We will ask to see the facilities if we do go with board and train. Thank you.

·
Banned
Luke, Leela
120 Posts
When you have a dog that you know WILL bite, you don't use physical means to prove that you are the one on top. NILIF is a good starting part. I have never used it completely, but I think parts of it are just natural. That stuff with Cesar, sigh, the dog would bite, and they knew that, and doing a Cesar-crap-training, yeah it can work IF and only if you are already a seasoned dog trainer. Half the crap that guy does, he doesn't even know why or what he is doing until after he did it, then he tells you why he did it after the fact, while he is figuring out what just happened. Because once you are experienced, stuff becomes second nature.
AGAIN: the rescue wanted me to do this work on the dog. After the bite I told them to put him down but what I didn't know was the owner wanted the dog back and only used the rescue as a dog sitter. So he went back to owner who fed him in his crate. NILIF answer to all? That is only good for SOME training not every dog responds as you wish. Sometimes just removing their balls helps.
I have dealt with so many various aggressive dogs with different aggressions or issues being an ACO you will never understand dealing with them all but usually the owners are to be feared more than the dog because they tend to JUSTIFY the behaviors-I hear tones of that here from people who think they're really smart about training-CANNOT TRAIN ALL DOGS some need to be PTS. One dog had a brain tumor (found out later) and was attacking other dogs and people in the area and I had to go get him. He broke thru his crate, thru a window and proceeded to look for anything to kill- this was not typical of him. He scared the crap out of me. Lab, was put to sleep when not recognizing his owners who I called ASAP to catch him because he stalked me to the ACO truck like a lion would.

I get really ticked trainers think they know everything. While you were busy spending money on your one or two dogs and training them at a club, then showing them, I saved the lives of at least 200 dogs (photos included), fostered pups for rescues, volunteered at shelters and owned 7 shepherds (4 rescues). So you have your little oasis in the sunshine while others are busy taking care of business. All my dogs were OB trained minimum and some were so smart they learned on their own. Anyone wants to come down on me- I'll send you some pics of the dogs I saved.

·
Super Moderator
7,705 Posts
@K9WolfAlpha please stick to the topic - help and support for the OP.
Start your own thread to share your training experience.

Reactions: GSD07
241 - 260 of 279 Posts