German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. Kaiser is my 2 year old GSD, not fixed. My fiancé also have a 6 month old golden retriever in the home. These two get along great and play all day. I have a big fenced in back yard with lots of room to run. Recently, a friend of mine rescued a Pitbull mix. She works long hours and asked if she could drop him off while she is at work sometimes. He's very friendly with people and other dogs, and was recently fixed. So yesterday was day 1, and Ogie (Pitbull) and Cooper (golden) get along great. They play play play. But my GSD is territorial, and is very on edge. They have had multiple interactions sniffing each other out, but it usually escalates to a mini fight. I can tell both dogs are dominant, and my GSD is feeling like his territory is being threatened. I've tried to "introduce" them by telling Kaiser it's okay, etc but no luck yet. Today is day 2, and same situation. I want to take them both down to the park (neutral territory) and see if they get along better. Wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation, and had successful positive interactions between the dogs. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I've seen dogs skirmish initially and they were "made" to tolerate each other but the minute people were out of sight - they fought. I've never seen them become friends and all is good Because - the fighting is for a purpose - rank placement and that does not go away until one dog wins. Then, there is always constant stress and reinforcement to maintain position.

I would tell your friend she needs to find other arrangements. This disruption could train behaviors and carry through to problems between your two dogs.

I had to live with this type of situation for almost 2 years and the fights were frequent and bloody and yes - after a time my other dog got involved in the fighting too because that's the dynamic they were stuck in - natural instincts an a human created environment with one leaving not possible - so it continues.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's best to introduce dogs on neutral ground - not in your house.

And for the love of everything you hold dear, do NOT let the dogs run off-leash in the park, or anywhere else outside of your immediate control. Ogie is a brand new dog, and you don't know him at all. Last thing you want is to make the 6-o-clock news.

My neighbours had a very reactive, fear-aggressive GSD that literally hadn't played with a single dog in his life. We wanted our dogs to be friends so we could walk them together. Left both dogs with a trainer for ~2 days, and she did well socializing them. We were able to walk them and let them play off leash without a problem.

At the end of the day, if the dogs don't get along, I'd have to ask myself whether it's worth it trying to force them to. But if you're set on them being friends, a good trainer can make things much easier.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
the fighting is for a purpose - rank placement and that does not go away until one dog wins.
In your opinion.

In my opinion the human supervisor can control the pack structure. Obviously the human must understand dogs and enforce some discipline, but other wise it'd be panda anyways.

Sometimes the dogs simply fight because they are poorly socialized and have no ground rules.

If you have issues with aggression look up Tyler muto's youtube channel, see how he rehabs the aggression and reintroduces them back into a group of dogs.

The issues described by the op seem to be pretty easy to deal with and op needs to keep each dog in check and stop the escalation.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
And I think your opinion on this is wrong.

I've had dogs fight, females, bull breeds, terriers etc and found I could stop them and find a balance where the dogs were safe together.

Just because you can't doesn't mean every one can't I guess is what I'm saying.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
And I think your opinion on this is wrong.

I've had dogs fight, females, bull breeds, terriers etc and found I could stop them and find a balance where the dogs were safe together.

Just because you can't doesn't mean every one can't I guess is what I'm saying.
Then why not just direct your opinion to the OP instead?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Suggestion to check Tyler Mutos youtube was aimed at the op.

Need help training your dog? Learn all the best methods!

Any one looking to learn about dog training behavior modification should check this site out.

Why try to make the dogs get along. Just make them not fight. Any behavior which is a trigger to a fight should be stopped. I'd be nipping in the bud wherever i see fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your feedback. Kaiser has always gotten along with other dogs in the past, as long as it's been clear that HE is the dominant dog. The only time I run into issues is when I introduce him to another dominant dog, which I guess it's common sense that they are going to hash it out. For example, my friend brought over his Rotweiller several months ago, the two dogs got into a brutal fight, and for that reason I don't allow him to bring his dog over anymore... It just isn't worth it to me. This situation is different, as I'm in kind of a dog sitting role, and doing a favor for a friend. If I can get them to tolerate each other over time, then good, if not then I would have to tell her to make other arrangements because I do not want this to have a negative effect on my dogs personality/behavior. I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to just make them accept each other without blood shed, or is better to let them hash it out and establish hierarchy?

Today I made the stupid mistake of getting between the two when they were fighting over Kaisers frisbee. They were in a tug o war position, and I told Kaiser to drop (he knows what this means, but under playing circumstances). He did not drop, so I went to pry his mouth open (like I've done many times in the past without issue) but this time he chomped down on my thumb. I know it was not intentional, but it still does not make it play, IMO. I have also established myself as the pack leader to Ogie, or at least demonstrated dominance and he does submit to me. My thought is eventually he will accept me as the leader, and therefore "listen" to me when I tell him (and Kaiser) that they are not a threat to each other.... However, I could be 100% entirely wrong, which is why I'm looking for advice early before it escalates to something bad.

I'm going to look into the YouTube video you suggested, I apologize for posting this response before watching. It may answer some of my questions.

Again, I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If the dogs are anything but 100% fine with each other, I wouldn't put toys into the mix - that's just another thing to escalate into a fight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would not have toys out when there's a chance these dogs will not get along. I always introduce a new dog by putting the new dog in an ex pen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
just IMO.
If it were me, i would very nicely let her know it wont work out.
If you were adopting this pitbull, it could eventually work itself into the pack structure, but a once or twice a week thing means he'll most likely not be accepted by your GSD as a pack member and you'll constantly be trying to make it work.

Its up to you, but like I said, if it were me, i wouldnt want that kind of hassle or stress

1 - 13 of 13 Posts