German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 16 month old GS that we have had since he was 7 weeks. A couple of weeks ago, my 12 year old was in the kitchen getting food and she turned around to pet the dog and he bit her. Hard enough that I had to rush her to the hospital. Since then, he frequently starts to go after her if she comes near me in any agressive way. I was in bed last night and he was laying in our bedroom as he always does and she came into the bedroom and he went after her. So I took her in her bedroom to get her settled, came back out. He was laying at my doorway so I started yelling at him pointing my finger at him telling him he did wrong by going after her and he lunged at me and attempted to bite me. Here, I thought I was the one he wouldnt go after cuz he is always protecting me. He has not been fixed. My daughter is adamant that we get rid of him but my husband is having a hard time with it. Im really worried that he is gong to really attack one of us. Any idea why he is being like this?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, no, we dont beat our dog and we never have. He is very spoiled and we probably have given him his way too much. As far as my daughter being agressive towards me, I meant, she is a 12 year old girl and will not think and run towards me, not to hit me or anything like that. We are not an agressive family. We do not hit our children nor our animals. Boy, some of your minds just kill me. I know its alot to be able to explain this for everyone to understand. As far as the bite in the kitchen, I do not know what happened. I was not there. She just said she turned around to pet him. I dont know that I totally believe her myself. He bit into her hand causing one tooth mark on top of her hand and one on the bottom, serious enough to need to go to the ER. I also suspected that maybe he thought her hand was food. He has no formal training. We are in NE Ohio on the PA border and I dont know many around here. He will lunge at my husband if he hugs me too so I do think he thinks he owns me. But when he went after me last night, I was really surprised. I guess it was a little late to yell at him for it. We then put him out in his kennel in the garage which is where he stays during the day while we are at work. He barked all night long. He is a very hyperactive dog. When we are home, he has the run of our land and is out chasing shadows most of the time. We made the mistake of starting him out on a lazer when he was little, now he looks for it every night and we have to use it to get him settle down at night. I agree with APBTLove. My 12 year old does have the right to feel safe in her home and not have the dog come after her everytime she comes running to me for something. Believe me, I have no plans on putting him down. I love this dog like he is my own child. But I may not have a choice. We have to take him to the vet today. Because of a bite and ER, the Health Dept got involved and the doc will have to decide whats best.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, here we go again people reading stuff into what Im writing making me and my family look like bad people and we are not. Im going to explain the stuff I said that you dont understand then that will be the end of conversation. Im kinda sorry I even asked. He is not let out to run free all night when we get home from work. He is in the house most of the time, he scratches the door when he wants let out and scratches when he wants back in. The family is in here and plays quite frequently with him. I just wanted to put it out there that we didnt keep him tied up and he has plenty of play running around where he wants to outside. Didnt know the laser would make him ocd but now I see how it is making him that way. After going to see the vet, for the best for the dog and for our family, we are going to find someone to take him that can spend the time with him that we cant. I thank god the vet didnt suggest to put him down cuz I could never do that. I cry everytime I think about him leaving us but I have to think of my family first. Im going to contact the GS rescue in NE Ohio and see if they can take him in and find someone for him. Im sure you will all start saying crap to me about doing that but its the choice we have made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.