German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31,111 Posts
If this is your greatest fear, I would love to have your life.

First..you need to stop thinking of it as "nonsense".

What exactly is it you are expecting from your dog? Did you want to be in the middle of full fledged dog fight?

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you had him since he was 8-9weeks? has he had any traumatic experiences with other dogs?

are you more frustrated because you want him to be more social? or more brave/willing to defend himself?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
What would you have had him do instead and what would have been the expected outcome if he had done what you wanted?

·
Registered
31,111 Posts
I don't have time to go review all your other posts and get insight in to your life. I doubt most others here do either.

What did you expect your dog to do? I've been in the middle of dog fights. It's certainly not any fun. Nor it is it fun to have a dog reactive from being attacked. For you or the dog.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
At 3, you're seeing what you have with his temperament. I'd just avoid those situations, where he's going to get intimidated. Keep enough space and control to let him relax. I'm guessing some dogs don't bother him, but this one did? You can control all that. Be selective about which ones he has contact with, or even none at all if that's what it takes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I recommend not growling at your dog, you're scaring him!

Seriously though, has he spent much time around other dogs? It could just be a matter of getting used to them, or it could be he's just timid.

When he was younger we took him to social classes and dog parks and then he got too excited around dogs to the point he would shackle up and get aggressive. Yes it was a new dog who was also skid dish and he is timid

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
When he was younger we took him to social classes and dog parks and then he got too excited around dogs to the point he would shackle up and get aggressive. Yes it was a new dog who was also skid dish and he is timid
I would just not put him into situations where he is around other dogs then.How is he with strange humans?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Don't put him in these situations where he needs to flee. Fleeing is also self rewarding; it teaches him that fleeing works so it will be more ingrained next time. A shy dog should never be off leash in situations where he could get scared. Expose him on leash to the level at which he is alert but still able to take treats and cues from you. He is three years old and his temperament is what it is. Adjust your expectations for him and provide a happy life for the two of you.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If he jumped behind you, it's because he trusts you to have his back and protect him. Be worthy of that trust.

Build confidence. Protect him. Don't put him in situations that will scare the crap out of him, now that you know he's not brave. I have a submissive dog who's a genius at reading other dogs, knowing when to play, and when to avoid, and when to simply take off. She's never wrong in her initial assessment of the stability of other dogs. I try to read other dogs through her eyes when I'm assessing them, as she's taught me so much about reading dogs! If you stop viewing your dog as a disappointment, and you might find something magical in there, even if it's not what you thought you wanted. Mine has been pure gold in how much she's taught me -- she's rehabilitated more foster dogs than I can count, as she's so non-threatening and gentle. Find what your dog is good at, and bring it out!

A dog that steps to other dogs and becomes reactive and defensive is a WAY worse problem. I think a dog that expects its human to make the mean dog go away is actually showing pretty good judgment.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
My past posts about training Z might give you guys some insight on my life w z
It might be helpful to post a link to those past threads, so people viewing this thread will know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
31,111 Posts
Nothing about him has changed other than how he is presenting his fear. As a younger dog, it was "i'll get you before you get me". Today, he's hiding behind you.

You have a genetically fearful dog. Just don't put him in these situations and don't consider his fear "nonsense". It's fear. Be confident and help him thru it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Another tip for shy dogs: good obedience classes are therapeutic for them. They build confidence. They learn their world is predictable and they know how to make good stuff happen by always doing the right thing. I've seen some HUGE transformations in shy dogs through OB work.

As a bonus, you have the dog around leashed, under control dogs in class without interacting. The shy dog learns it can walk in formation in position, next to its human, with other dogs quite close. It reinforces that the human can keep the dog safe, and those other dogs can be simply ignored.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts