German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is not finishing her food lately, choosing the rice and meat and just leave the dry food. I tried giving her rice and meat, she'll just taste it and leave it there. The worse thing is, she's been eating her poop! I purchased a canned food for her and mixed it with rice. She'll just eat a handful then no more. She's still alert and energetic. Help please.:help:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dont have any advise but maybe a comfort that your not the only one going thru this ....my female is doing the same thing but she is 6 months old now so im thinking that maybe she is not in a growing spree at the moment and doesnt need as much food?
wish you luck and hope she gets her appitite back soon

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If everything else is normal she's either just not hungry, so pick up the meal when she leaves until the next meal time.

Or she's becoming what many of our GSD's are (and is normal for them) a picky eater. Easily bored with a normal meal and don't care if they leave it and even lose weight. I know for my picky GSD I had to give her a variety of different foods to keep her tempted and at a normal weight. It was interesting to find how little of a 'special' food I could add (with water to make a gravy to cover everything) to the regular food to get her to finish a meal.

My refrigerator leftovers worked well. Cheese, meat, cottage cheese, yogert, canned cat food (great variety there and only a few tablespoons work).

That's all as long as you are sure a vet visit isn't needed for another medical concern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think she's picky. This happened before when she was 5 months old. She was eating Eukanuba that time, she loved it until one time she finally didn't eat even a single piece. I brought her to the vet and tried another brand and told me to mix it with beef or lamb. She loves it and tried giving her a variety of food, too. I even tried putting a tablespoon of honey into her dry food, I found out that honey can help too. But now, I really don't know what to do. My last option is to give her a canned human food (corned beef) mixed with rice and dry food and see if she will eat and finish it. Kezia is still on the right weight, though. The only thing that bothers me so much is that she is eating her poop when she thought no one is around! I don't know how to stop her.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Any possibility of IBD? I would check that out. Her tummy may hurt so she doesn't eat, but they tend to poop out what they need because they can't digest it so they re-eat it,lol How much is she eating- maybe it's too much?

I like the method where you put down a cup of food, leave it for 30 minutes, and don't give it back until dinner. Many dogs after a few weeks get it and begin to eat better, but weight loss is no good either:(

·
Registered
852 Posts
Might not be any reason. Ditto will go days barely eating and then eat a whole bowl in one sitting. Im not sure why she is like this, but she hasn't had problems from it and is a healthy weight. If you notice your dog losing weight or not reaching a healthy weight, then you may have to try other things or go to a vet for advice.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Some GSD's just love to eat yummy yummy poo........... and it usually has nothing to do with other issues. They just think it tastes good. Period.

CAT FOOD CAT FOOD CAT FOOD CAT FOOD

Find a good dog food kibble your dog does generally like. That can be the base and the nutrition for mealtimes. To get your dog to EAT it is the challenge MANY of us have.

Since cats are known to be finicky eaters, the cat food industry know to make their canned food stinky and yummy to tempt them to eat it. We dog people can take advantage of the MANY MANY MANY different flavors of canned cat food to tempt our dogs to eat.

I found that just 1/4 of the small cat food can plus water to make it really a slurry, then add the regular dog food, almost always assured my dog would eat. And that is a good thing! Easy to store the rest of the can until then next meal in the fridge, plastic covers are sold in all the stores to put on the can.

That's an example of the size can I mean.

NEVER feed one huge meal a day either. That always overwhelmed my dog and she'd eat less. Better 2 smaller meals about 10 hours apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Negative on IBD, she eats twice a day. I don't worry about the weight cuz she's okay with that (Ideal Weight as per her Vet). Eating her poo makes me crazy! LOL. But I noticed that she stopped eating it last night after I gave her a corned beef. :) I will still need to observe her today. Thanks guys, I will update you all soon. :)

I just love this forum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Kezia has been eating a lot lately!!! hoooray!!! :) I serve her a bowl of dry food mixed with 2 cups of rice and FRISKIES!!!!! She loves it so much!!! Thanks to all of you...

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Update:

Kezia has been eating a lot lately!!! hoooray!!! :) I serve her a bowl of dry food mixed with 2 cups of rice and FRISKIES!!!!! She loves it so much!!! Thanks to all of you...
GREAT NEWS! and you may want to play with the amount of Friskies... the least amount of cat food just to get them to eat their normal meal is the goal...

Isn't cat food just amazing too! Such a variety and there are almost always crazy sales if you need to buy a ton so it's really not costing that much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts