German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, small potatoes on this forum, I know, but I've been starting to switch to the ball reward from treats as Jedda (6 mo) gets her commands down, and today, at the dog park, with another dog in sight, I got a 10 yard down stay, which she maintained as she saw me throw the ball, and only got up to chase the ball when I released her! Yay for us!! ;) BTW, the skinny thing is from my earlier thread today, please visit and comment on that one, too, if you wish!

I've been a little worried about her chasing little/kinda wimpy dogs, so I've been going to the large dog park where you can really do some hiking, and have infrequent meetings with dogs if you want to, or have plenty of room to avoid if needed. (And, you can totally avoid the pack crazies/oblivious owners section!) I noticed she was much more interested in me throwing the ball than the little dogs, so I've been using that to desensitize her, and thought, hmmm, maybe this is a good reward...lightbulb!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nice "stay". i wouldn't take treats or toys to the
dog park. i did a lot of training and dog playtime
at the dog park.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi doggiedad, yeah, I guess I didn't think about causing a riot with other dogs chasing our ball! I'm not a fan of the dog parks around here, because there are A LOT of people who pay zero attention to managing their dog, some even let the dogs out, and sit in the car! These dogs congregate on the "flats" by the parking lot - we avoid this scene completely and take to the hills. I usually don't even go to the open park, we have plenty of places to hike, but I actually wanted to work on meet n greets off leash. Did you happen to catch my post on "Is this budding dog aggression"? I would value your opinion in how to deal with these scenarios. I thought redirecting her with the ball was a good idea...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts