German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF wants to start decoying a little. I don't know how I feel about it. My two concerns are 1) she might get hurt and 2) if she's a decoy then she might have no use for me anymore. Haha. Really I think it could be good. Decoying gives a completely different view on training the dogs. Plus I think it's good for the dogs to see decoys of all shapes and sizes.

This is her arm after giving three bites with a sleeve. The sleeves seem to hurt her more than the dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, she is good.

I think I'm going to have her try a few different sleeves until we find one that fits her better. The suits we have and the suit work we do might be a bit much for her. I just want to start her slow and smart. I gave her some theory and footwork stuff to read and we did some dry practice at home. Next training day she can make it to (her work schedule is crazy right now so she's only been doing private lessons lately) then I will set her up with a few of the safer dogs to get some bites under her belt.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Decoying requires a certain amount of athletic ability, the ability to get into a dog's head and determining what is driving the dog to bite, and changing what is in the dog's head at times to get him to bite for different reasons. Unless your girlfriend is an excellent athelete and knows how to read dogs, you are probably moving toward having another incompetent decoy that just creates problems in the bite work. For example, do you think think she knows how to take a young dog with good prey drive and get him to launch into the the sleeve, or even a bite pillow by having her lowering the sleeve/pillow on a send and sucking the dog upwards into the bite? I see so many rookies pushing the sleeve forward, jamming the dog, and creating problems in the foundation training.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decoying requires a certain amount of athletic ability, the ability to get into a dog's head and determining what is driving the dog to bite, and changing what is in the dog's head at times to get him to bite for different reasons. Unless your girlfriend is an excellent athelete and knows how to read dogs, you are probably moving toward having another incompetent decoy that just creates problems in the bite work. For example, do you think think she knows how to take a young dog with good prey drive and get him to launch into the the sleeve, or even a bite pillow by having her lowering the sleeve/pillow on a send and sucking the dog upwards into the bite? I see so many rookies pushing the sleeve forward, jamming the dog, and creating problems in the foundation training.

Of course she doesn't know these things yet. You think decoys are just born knowing these things? Putting a green dog on a green decoy is just idiotic. Did you miss the part about breaking her in slow and on safe dogs?

·
Registered
342 Posts
You didn't make this comment because of gender did you? If someone has the desire and dedication to learn, they deserve to be taught. We all started at the beginning.

Sue

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm thinking about doing some decoy work myself! Kudos to your girlfriend, but I fear we need pictures or it didn't happen :( :)P )

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking about doing some decoy work myself! Kudos to your girlfriend, but I fear we need pictures or it didn't happen :( :)P )
Haha I wasn't there either! Our schedules are completely opposite right now. If we didn't live together I don't think we would ever see each other. She has been going to training during the week with a couple other people. As she does it more, I will get pictures and maybe even some video.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't have anything helpful to offer besides encouragement. GIRL POWER YEAH. ;)

Seriously though I hope you'll post regular updates. I've always been curious about what it's like on that end, and hearing about it from the perspective of someone who's just starting out on the journey would be an incredible viewpoint to share.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I try to do it when I can!

I LOVE it!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Let me know if you find a sleeve that fits her. I was looking a few months ago and couldn't come up with much. Like your GF I ended up with bruises after working just Errow.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like Sue said, I think it is great for anyone who has the interest and motivation to get involved.
Good decoys come in all sizes and varieties...good luck to her!

Usually the naysayers are the armchair quarterbacks who don't have the guts to jump in and do it.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It takes commitment and dedication to learn technique, read a dog, an obsession to some degree. Decoys more than anything have to be there for the long haul, because it takes years, literally to get decent.....but if she is willing....why not?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I love helper work! I mainly help with the young dogs of my friends, specially since my SAR background taught me a lot on working on prey drive, but I'm working on developing my presence to bring more aggression.

Finally I jumped into a helper seminar and even got officially certified to participate on local trials.

To be honest, my bigger problem is not my gender, but being left handed and since almost never there is a right sleeve available, learning to handle the stick with the right hand :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am attending my first seminar which really focuses on decoy work and the foundations. It is with decoy Ivo Hoevers. I am ready to work and to learn!

Good for your girlfriend, we need more women in the sport in these roles! It can be done. ;)

I would love to see video when/if you have it!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I love helper work! I mainly help with the young dogs of my friends, specially since my SAR background taught me a lot on working on prey drive, but I'm working on developing my presence to bring more aggression.

Finally I jumped into a helper seminar and even got officially certified to participate on local trials.

To be honest, my bigger problem is not my gender, but being left handed and since almost never there is a right sleeve available, learning to handle the stick with the right hand :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lies! I'm left handed! I'm surgical with left sleeve placement. I *own* a right sleeve and it still feels awkward. Whip or stick just as good with either hand

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Very cool! :thumbup: Go girl!

(if I thought my back could take it I wouldn't mind learning myself...but I just can't afford to get hurt...so I'll enjoy reading and watching other women get involved. :) )

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Who can afford to get hurt? I'd love to give it a whirl, nobody trusts me with their dogs though :(

I have that sacred *presence* and would scare them all off the field, lol :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Who can afford to get hurt? I'd love to give it a whirl, nobody trusts me with their dogs though :(

I have that sacred *presence* and would scare them all off the field, lol :cry:
Challenge accepted! If you can run either of mine off the field ill reimburse your travel costs!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts