German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 month old dog called Axel. He eats like a horse, however he is really skinny. Not so skinny that you can see his spine but there is a clear outline of his rib cage (not each individual rib). My other two shepherds are the right weight for their size. Axel is extremely large by breed standards standing standing 5-7 inches taller then my other 2 and he also came form a straight backed working line. Any advice on what I could feed him to help him put on weight and to look fitter would be appreciated.

He is currently fed royal canin dry food along with half a tin of pedigree wet food twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
We need to see pictures. Standing dog. From the side, and looking down from above.

Many dogs don't fill out and mature until they are over 2 years old, so just stay lean.

Vet says ok, right? No EPI or anything?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had exactly the opposite problem I had to take my dog off home-cooked food because it was too many calories - if you want to put weight on your dog cook up some chicken white potatoes throw some green beans and some peas in there and mix it with the dog kibble your dog will gain 5 pounds in a month.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I'm not on my laptop at the moment so I can't post a photo. The vet said he is healthy and there shouldn't be any reason he isn't putting on weight. I was told to give him a certain brand of large dog puppy food that is high in fat but he would't eat that.

Hopefully he will start to fill out soon as I actually had a person ask me if i was feeding him as he is to skinny.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will try mixing some potatoes in tomorrow and see how he likes it. I have my female on a recommended diet from the vet because she was over weight so its hard to get the balance of foods right in my house haha.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I am willing to bet your dog is just fine.

I have yet to see a "too skinny" dog posted on this forum, that actually was too skinny.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:4mh8102dxlw&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=Too+skinny&sa=Search&siteurl=www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/464529-my-german-shepherd-skinny.html&ref=www.germanshepherds.com/index.php?page=active_topics&ss=1822j398636j10
GSDs are supposed to be lean, to the point of seeing the last rib on a growing pup.

Do not stuff your canine with potatoes. No nutritional value there, and they can't digest them properly, anyway

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before you change his diet think about this; a trained professional gave your dog a clean bill of health. I think either heed the vets advice, or if you don't trust the vet, get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice. I did get a second opinion today from a lady who specializes in German Shepherd training (obedience, tracking and temperament issues) and has vast amount of knowledge about the breed who told me that I should try taking him swimming to build muscle along with upping the amount of protein in his diet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some dogs aren't meant to be big beefed up and muscular. It's possible that he is meant to be a thin and lean dog. It doesn't make him less of a dog. It sounds as though you wanted him to be bigger and more muscular... if so, for what purpose?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a 16 month old dog called Axel. He eats like a horse, however he is really skinny. Not so skinny that you can see his spine but there is a clear outline of his rib cage (not each individual rib). My other two shepherds are the right weight for their size. Axel is extremely large by breed standards standing standing 5-7 inches taller then my other 2 and he also came form a straight backed working line. Any advice on what I could feed him to help him put on weight and to look fitter would be appreciated.

He is currently fed royal canin dry food along with half a tin of pedigree wet food twice a day.
I think my Athena "looks" underfed too even though she isn't her entire ribcage shows also but at 18 wks she weighed 54 pounds... Do his ribs show like hers or worse?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
People tell me all the time that my female is too skinny. But as someone posted above, they are SUPPOSED to be lean dogs! Here's my girl at the heavier side of her weight fluctuations (she stays 60-65 lbs).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some dogs aren't meant to be big beefed up and muscular. It's possible that he is meant to be a thin and lean dog. It doesn't make him less of a dog. It sounds as though you wanted him to be bigger and more muscular... if so, for what purpose?
Oh trust me i don't think he is any less of a dog. He is absolutely beautiful, a bit crazy and he really is my best friend. It's not that I want him more muscular he just seems to injure himself easily when playing or chasing his ball so I thought more muscle would help that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my Athena "looks" underfed too even though she isn't her entire ribcage shows also but at 18 wks she weighed 54 pounds... Do his ribs show like hers or worse?
Wow she is beautiful. I wouldn't say his ribs show much more then that but his hips really do! Once he's happy and healthy though I should be happy :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
People are used to seeing over weight dogs and get a good "oh that dog eats well and is taken care of" feeling when they see a dog that's plump even though it's healthier for them to be leaner/more muscular/active. Who cares about their health whats important is that you feel good and no one tells you your dog is too skinny right? It's important for everyone to learn the difference between lean, skinny, and emaciated. Also most people neuter their dogs which tends to increase the weight gain and adds to the image of what is "normal" My male dog put on quite a bit of weight after being neutered. Slowed down his metabolism considerably.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a 16 month old dog called Axel. He eats like a horse, however he is really skinny. ...

Axel is extremely large by breed standards standing standing 5-7 inches taller then my other 2...
He is pretty lanky so it must just be his build. He also weighs close to 110 pounds.
That's a big boy you have there, sporting a 5-7'' height advantage over your other GSDs and at a lanky, maybe too skinny, 110lbs.

Would love to see some pics.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a big boy you have there, sporting a 5-7'' height advantage over your other GSDs and at a lanky, maybe too skinny, 110lbs.

Would love to see some pics.
He is very very big! I have personally never seen a German Shepherd bigger then him. Although my female is probably a bit smaller then the average shepherd.

I'm new to this forum and not sure how to attach photos properly. So hopefully the 2 I attached will go up :)

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
He is very very big! I have personally never seen a German Shepherd bigger then him. Although my female is probably a bit smaller then the average shepherd.

I'm new to this forum and not sure how to attach photos properly. So hopefully the 2 I attached will go up :)
He's a handsome fella. He does look very tall but not too skinny to me. Hard to tell from the pic though as he is laying down and I don't have a sense of scale.

A top down pic (from directly above him looking straight down) and one from the side with him standing up would be best to judge whether he is too skinny.

In any event, low impact strenghening exercises like swimming are always a good thing.

You tried to post two pics? I'm only seeing one. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
Take a couple pics like these.

David Winners

1 - 20 of 25 Posts