German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German shepherd, Riley, and I were outside and as we went to go inside, a girl with two small dogs came out. Since my back was to them, I didnt notice, but my dog did. She ripped the leash out of my hand (she's incredibly strong) and raced over and bit the small dogs back and shook him aggressively. The owner did nothing but scream and I ran over and pulled her off. The girl picked up her dog and ran before I could offer payment or anything. Riley goes to a cage free daycare every day with large dogs and a lot of times mix with small dogs and has never done this. Why would she do this and although I'm already worried, should I be even more concerned?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
My German shepherd, Riley, and I were outside and as we went to go inside, a girl with two small dogs came out. Since my back was to them, I didnt notice, but my dog did. She ripped the leash out of my hand (she's incredibly strong) and raced over and bit the small dogs back and shook him aggressively. The owner did nothing but scream and I ran over and pulled her off. The girl picked up her dog and ran before I could offer payment or anything. Riley goes to a cage free daycare every day with large dogs and a lot of times mix with small dogs and has never done this. Why would she do this and although I'm already worried, should I be even more concerned?

This is prey drive.
Were the dogs loose?
How old is your dog?
What kind of training have you done with her ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two dogs were together but I believe they were leashed and so was my dog. Those two dogs have previously barked at my dog incessantly from afar but I've made her sit and distracted her. She's had a lot of training by myself and professional trainers and has never bitten a dog out of nowhere.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Did you have a prong collar?
This was not out of nowhere.
She did this because those dogs were allowed to taunt her repeatedly, and this was the day she decided she will no longer have it.

But, you should have had control of your dog.

Now that you know what she us capable of, it is up to you to make sure she does not break free again.
Some might say a muzzle while out in public may be in order.
Do you know what happened to the small dog?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This is one thing I watch out for all the time. People tend to walk smaller dogs off leash around here and I am so afraid one is going to run in to Raina's mouth. One almost did but I quickly slid behind a nearby gate and closed the gate so the unleashed little monster didn't get bit. Raina did have a prong collar on but I hate to have to hurt my dog just because someone else doesn't obey the leash laws. Strong prey drive is pretty normal in working lines dogs so I'm not surprised she does have it. To the OP I would say you have to have eyes behind your head to see everything. If the owner of the little dogs ran off and you don't know who she is there is no way to find out what happened to the dog but if you do see her you should try to find out. As for avoiding it happening again, once again you have to be on your toes all the time. Think of it as protecting your dog. You need to know who or what is around you all the time. Training goes a long way but stopping prey drive is pretty hard if not impossible. Sounds like you were on the right track with praise and treats for remaining calm. That is the method I use but it does not take away that prey drive completely when the little dog runs right up to yours.

My trainer used to say that German Shepherds not only have good memories but they take notes. If a dog snarled at them 4 months ago and they suddenly they get a chance - they will get even. You have to be in control.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Well, I don't think anyone would consider your dog was leashed because was not under you control (broke free)
So you are fully resonsible as far as I can tell for any damages
You also need better control over your dog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what happened to the other dog because she ran away so quickly. I usually have a very firm grip on her but this happened right when I was getting my keys out. I know that no dog bites without a reason and hers was most likely because those little dogs are always off leash and bark at her (not just those two dogs) and all the owners do is laugh and expect me to comply with them. My dog is incredibly intelligent and I think she had just had enough. I contacted my apartments office and asked them to see if they could find out how the other dog was.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I'd be very concerned. If you don't get a visit from AC or the police department, consider yourself lucky. Your dog can get labeled as dangerous, and depending on the state or county get either one or two strikes. Most places will also quarantine a dog if an attack is reported and the dog/owner can be found.

At 2.5 I'm surprised your day care hasn't noticed some signs of this. It's usually not a surprise and there are a lot of signs that lead up to such an attack. Get a better collar, have better control of the leash, and over all just pay more attention to what's going on. She's not strong enough to pull the leash out of your hand if you're paying attention.

Her reason doesn't matter...it was wrong. Any kind of attack on another dog is wrong. Especially when that dog is leashed. Barking should not lead to such an attack...small dogs generally bark more, it does not give other dogs reason to bite them.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
As an aside...for all those that whine and complain about why "dangerous breeds" aren't allowed in apartment complexes. Here is why. It just takes one dog to do something like this and the complex is now liable for damages (as well as the owner of the dog). Insurance company gets a few too many claims like this...and bam...no more GSDs allowed at that complex.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
At 2.5 I'm surprised your day care hasn't noticed some signs of this. It's usually not a surprise and there are a lot of signs that lead up to such an attack.

I think that the OP mentioned the day care because the attack surprised them, because the dog doesn't do this kind of stuff in day care.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I think that the OP mentioned the day care because the attack surprised them, because the dog doesn't do this kind of stuff in day care.
There are always signs...not all day care personnel are trained to notice them. As long as there has never been an issue they don't realize when a dog is being controlling or dominating. I've spoken to plenty of people that take their dogs to day cares that tell them they have perfect angels...all the while their dog is trying to dominate everything that moves.

It's possible that the other dogs at the day care are just more submissive and accept the GSD as the pack leader.

I love this "GSD can do no wrong" attitude on the forum. If a random dog attacked a GSD and the person started a thread on here...there'd be a mob forming to get that other dog, throw the owner in jail, and never allow them to own another dog ever again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly, I am always told every day how friendly and happy and excited she is and that she is friends with every dog. They didnt notice any signs because there were none. As I said, she had never exhibited this behavior before and is usually friendly with every dog we come across.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
If I were you I'd contact the vet offices in your area to protect yourself in case AC stands on your doorstep. At least it shows you made an effort in locating the dog that was attacked.
I am sorry for all involved; dogs and humans

·
Registered
31,950 Posts
If this is a neighbor, you should go there without your dog, with your checkbook, and apologize profusely. Tell her what you intend to do to ensure that this will never happen again, and offer to pay for the vet bill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were you I'd contact the vet offices in your area to protect yourself in case AC stands on your doorstep. At least it shows you made an effort in locating the dog that was attacked.
I am sorry for all involved; dogs and humans
She lives in one of the buildings in my apartment complex. I told the apartment office to contact me with who she is so that I can. And I have told her to relay that I would cover any and all costs. Still waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Just curious, do you know what breed the smaller dogs are?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
There are always signs...not all day care personnel are trained to notice them. As long as there has never been an issue they don't realize when a dog is being controlling or dominating. I've spoken to plenty of people that take their dogs to day cares that tell them they have perfect angels...all the while their dog is trying to dominate everything that moves.

It's possible that the other dogs at the day care are just more submissive and accept the GSD as the pack leader.

I love this "GSD can do no wrong" attitude on the forum. If a random dog attacked a GSD and the person started a thread on here...there'd be a mob forming to get that other dog, throw the owner in jail, and never allow them to own another dog ever again.

Maybe your wrong and there really wasn't any signs. Maybe this dog just had enough of these dogs. Maybe those dogs did something to agitate the GSD. Maybe the GSD just likes to grab little dogs by the scruff(in another thread this behavior was called a correction)...there are a lot of maybes in every scenario. This is called an accident and sadly they happen. I doubt highly that the OP commanded their GSD to attack. I don't see where you think people think that a GSD can do no wrong. The OP feels bad and is trying to rectify the situation. People on here try to protect their dogs and really don't want them or another dog to get attacked. I'm not sure where your observation came from, but its insulting to all of those that don't think that way.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.