German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My friend, who has had several dogs, asked me why I crated my 2 GSDs?

Honestly, I went completely blank. Of course after the incident, I knew it is primarily because of the overall safety when I cannot supervise my dogs. She thought it was cruel and something she would not do with her dog she said.

Any comment is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing that, it is much appreciated.

She said she also owned a mastiff and never crated that dog she said, I guess back in the day it was standard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a boxer that I've never crated. In the past I've also had a pit bull, aussie, lab, and a couple gsd crosses (not with as much gsd temperament) and lived with a dalmation. I have never seen the damage I have come home to with a bored/separation anxious gsd puppy/teen/???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!

I think I'm getting a better understanding about the GSD breed - they're quite unique if I read your thread! If I'm correct they have more drive than most other breeds then?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You know, growing up I had dogs that were never crated. Our family dog (shes mine now though) is 16 and wasnt ever, and still is not crated. When shopping for a GSD, a crate was the first thing I bought. I guess I never thought twice about it. Luckily I did crate train him, because he can't be trusted around the cats. And GSD's are just so much more intelligent than some breeds, that if home alone and bored, can let their minds get the best of them. ;) I figure, hes safer in the crate, the cats are safer, and the house is safer. I really appreciate his crate and it is anything but cruel (just ask him - he friggen LOVES his crate...not even kidding..)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for sharing your info! And, yes, after reading your thread I realized that our GSDs are in the top 3 of the most intelligent dog. I recall my mam saying the same thing about crating is cruel - until one day she had to babysit our now 14 month old Pebbles :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You have to consider also that a crated dog is not going to experience as much stress when it goes to the veterinarian, or drives in a car.

I have seen the destruction and some dogs seem to be that way moreso than others. I have had some crate free (with the door open so they could come and go as they please) at 6 months.

I have one who will be 2 in July and if he were not crated, he would probably be dead due to his insatiable curiosity. Fortunately he is just a destructo dog - no separation anxiety - calm cool and collected in his crate. He just figures out ways to get into places he shouldn't (most recent opening a door) cuz boys just want to have fun.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I used to get so mad at my brother for crating, until I got my pup and learned more about it =) last night he came in from outside jumped on the bad, we cuddled for 2 minutes until the shark mode turned on, and off to the crate he went!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I started crating because of potty training/ giving me a break/ safety when I'm not home. Now, when I say "go to your crate" he happily goes in for his daily naps. I think he likes it because when he's in his crate, he's 'off duty.' When we let him nap outside his crate, he still keeps tabs on us and moves with us, etc. So he relaxes and gets better sleep in his crate I think. At night, when were sleeping, he seems to do OK sleeping out of his crate since there's less activity. He's 6mo

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I didn't use crates untill about 10 years ago, it was recommended by Apache's breeder. I had a hard time convincing my husband, then I found "The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Crate Train You Dog". Aside from the safty reason, what sold me 100% was in the event of an emergency if you dog had to be crated your dog would feel safe and not suffer from additional stress.
Even though it was at least 6 years or more that Apache & Kiya saw a crate,when I set it up for Lakota both older dogs would go and lay in the crate when ever the gate was open.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther has a crate because he gets very anxious when we arent home and before we did crate train him he tore up all the carpet in one room and dug at the subflooring. He had all of his fun toys he loved but that didnt matter. He loves his crate and goes in it during the day when i am home for naps. The crate is there for their safety as well as being there as a safe haven if the pup feels uncomfortable.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Crating

We've used the crate since day one with the puppy. Our goal was to

1)give him a recognizably safe place that was his own to which to retreat if he felt he needed a break

2) to keep him from doing damage to the house at night.

3) to keep him from jumping into our bed at night, even though we did let the 8 week old puppy sleep with us for about a week.

4) to have a place to send him which might comfort him when he tried our patience (to give us a break).

5) to have a place to secure him when we have strangers in the house as he's very confrontational with people he doesn't know (a good thing, really, as we do want an alarm bark each and every time).

Zeus is now 5 months old and over 60 lbs. We still have the crate but for only reasons 1 and 5 above. He sleeps wherever he likes at night but out bed (he got out of the habit by himself). Indeed, he patrols the place about once every 30 minutes or so and often checks up on us, seemingly out of protective instinct.

He doesn't chew the furniture or rugs or anything anymore unless we unwisely leave something that shines or has a distinct smell low enough for him to reach.

The crate served and still serves a purpose. And, we and he will use it the rest of his life.

LF

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I recently upgraded my puppy's crate to a 48" plastic one. It must be really wonderful in there, because DH's dog used to spend hours sleeping on the couch, and now she's usually in the crate, lol. If I didn't crate my puppy when I can't supervise him, he'd have electrocuted himself by now, no question about it.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
We used to not be so busy I think. Someone was generally home. Rooms were "puppy-proofed" and puppies were with us so much more. Now mom and dad works, kids have practice, commute time is longer.
I think crates are one of the most abused training tools.
Also one of the best training tools.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for my late reply, but want to thank all of you sharing your thoughts and experiences on crating and crating out dearest friends. It really was helpful for me! Thanks once more!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts