German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 4 months of experience with the RAW Diet? It has saved my 10 year old GSD, see the Testimonial in the BARF/RAW adult section....

And my new pup coming (both pick of the litter of two working dog lines) will be started on RAW with mince and lactose free full fat milk for two weeks, then chicken wings and on we go...

My 5 1/2 month old "Wolf Caesar" is the smartest dog I have had in my 61 years. He is intuitive, no problems, taken training better than any dog I have met, smells like a baby, does not shed, no itchiness, icredibly smart, 25" tall, 29 kg, 64 lbs.... ON RAW....

Here shown (Black GSD) and the 10 year old I saved is the black saddle Show Dog Cody (Dakota)

Hope a help to you....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not finish that Post, ran out of time, Client came in, you know ..... Sorry about that... duh.... Can't edit it, so I am adding on...

Anyway what I have learned in a few tricks in feeding raw:

1) Crush the chicken necks, I made a post on this... Then the puppy cannot choke and gets full nutrition out of it..

2) Don't feed too many chicken necks, could be too much calcium.. A couple a few times a week is OK..

3) I struggled waaaaay to much, so his Litter Mate, has Adult teeth in the back shearers earlier than Caesar... I cut up all his meat into little bite size portions... Dumb. The Breeder just gives big strips that they have to work on, more mean on the bone, full leg and thigh from about 16 weeks, half ox hearts, full lamb kidney.. She does not bother with all my fusss, and consequently her Sibling to Caesar has more developed teeth and attacks his meals more like the rest of the wolves.. heh he

4) My fussiness on warming, room temperature, all my fussy behavior made a fussy picky eater... :sick: :wild: She when in a hurry has even given her dogs a full kilo ration of meat and bone FROZEN... And they work it down in time..

5) At about 5 months IMO you can slowly move to once a day feeding. My Breeder does it routinely. In the RAW there is no bloat, not in all her experience of 20 years, that is a dry kibble thing where the dry food absorbs moisture and packs them up... Never happened with all her dogs in 20 years.
Now I will not do that, as I am getting a new female pup Friday that has to be fed twice a day, so Caesar will get fed twice a day for the next few months..

How to transition to once a day? Night feeding makes a sound sleeper. Not much good out on the land where you want them a bit "on duty"... So reduce the night meal over a couple of weeks to nil, as you increase the morning meal...

I have already stated the benefits of RAW on other Posts, but look, really, it is the rancid oils, bad fillers, preservatives, and fillers that kills our dogs. The kibble causes inflamation, allergic reactions in maybe half of all dogs. And at least half are allergic to grain whether they show it much or not. These dogs could live to 15-20 years on RAW instead of many dying at 8-10 or 12... If you shop wisely the RAW may even be cheaper, especially when it comes to VET bills and even Chemotherapy as cancer is much more common in kibble fed IMO.. Here in Australia, of all Breeds the RAW fed live into their teens and Cancer is almost unheard of on the RAW diet.

Kind regards, GSD Lover in Oz.... :wub:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
my girl was weaned onto it and its been zero probs. When I feed her whole ground baby cow its good to add a chicken foot or 2 to firm the poop.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello GSD Friends and GSD Lovers :wub:
I just spent the weekend, fourth day now, with my new Puppy, largest "Pick Bitch" of the litter of a larger Working Dog line... Mum was a very smart 48 kg Police Dog the Officer Disabled, retired with him..

Now his fault, he believes in the Advance puppy chow, so I spent four days converting her over.. I started her on Lactose Free full fat milk to make up for the loss of calcium intake and will do that for two weeks until she can eat chicken wings.. Day one, she only picked at the food, so I worried... Day two She started to eat, chicken and beef mince seemed too gummy so I microwave half cooked it to give it a little texture... Runny poo... (Twice a day feeding, tried lunch feeding as well but not interested)

Third day, now CHOWING DOWN half cooked beef and chicken mince, four poos, poo is small black sausages.. Big on milk drinking...
Twice a day feeding...

Day four, this morning, chowed down even bigger, bigger on her Lactose free milk, and ate half a chicken wing. We are ON THE WAY... !!!

Kind regards, lone Ranger in Oz...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you 4score,

I am sure the microwave may wreck some of the delicate nutritional balance like enzymes, but She was having trouble with the gummy chicken and beef mince meat. She was used to hard kibble and she had trouble.. The microwave bit gave it a half cooked texture, like 25 seconds was all. And you never do any bones for sure...

I will only MW for a few days, even this morning it was half MWed and half raw. She just seemed to have trouble and kept spitting out the gummy raw, where the texture of half cooked and she ate heartily. It will only be for a couple of days...

4scrore, thank you, and you are absolutely correct. Like I said this was only a couple of days half cooked for texture. I personally do not believe in Microwaves, as it alters some of the vitamins and enzymes in our food...

Kind regards, right on 4 score, and you other readers, he/she is right....

lone Ranger in Oz

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Lone, No - I understand and it makes perfect sense for you to do that. After all, if the pup won't eat it, then thee's NO benefit! So, I agree, do what you have to to get the process started.

Our current dog has been on a raw diet from the start. I wish we could have realized the benefits with our last dog. She would have live a much more healthy life! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
When i first converted my dog to raw I lightly sauteed a chicken breast with garlic to really get the aroma going. I basically only browned the out side and warmed it up a little.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i first converted my dog to raw I lightly sauteed a chicken breast with garlic to really get the aroma going. I basically only browned the out side and warmed it up a little.
OMG :D You might be spoiling your pup more than I do, and that is SAYING A LOT... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Natural Dog Food

Are the new natural dog food's really as bad as the cheaper stuff you can get? The ingredients sound good, but I know that doesn't always mean it is as great as it seems. We are rounding up our first week with our 8 week old baby girl and trying to decide on raw or a natural kibble.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Briar's Proud Parents....

Look, my 10 year old was dying... In the RAW BARF Adult dog section I have a Testimonial in there. He is now looking better than he has in years. Half the dogs have allergic reactions to the grain and fillers in the dry food. This manifests itself in inflammation, eyes, ears, joints, shedding, and so on.

Also, they have to put preservatives in the dry food so it has a loooong shelf life, rancid oils, all these things are carcinogens. The number of pets developing Cancer between 8-12 years old is scary. Who benefits from all the medicines? The Vets are all sponsored and Lobbied by the dry food Suppliers. All the top brands, check your local Vet list and they will recommend different ones, but it is about money not health. Most Vets would not even know about the RAW diet, or want to know.

I know it works. I came back from a deep snow expedition into Yellowstone to see the wolves, back to Australia in January, and my Son (24) told me Cody (Dakota) should be put down. In truth, he was really in bad shape. I tried the RAW diet, and saw recovery start to happen in only a few weeks.. Now he is back in pink of health. I am sure there is some long term damage, but I have for sure given him a new Lease on Life.. Here he is, the big saddle back black and tan, never looked better:

I think my two older dogs, that black and tan, and the red sable bitch, are doing so well that I am a believer and my two new black Working Dog GSD pups are on it without reservations... That is my answer to you, with confidence...

Kind regards, lone Ranger in Australia,
Out with horses on the Last Frontier, doing "Dances with Wolves" as best I can..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts